Long throw head for SF E series + added 160m beamshots

Ganp

Enlightened
This is my current project.. a long throw LED head for Surefire E series and compatible hosts, using the Carclo 2 degree collimator.

sandblastfinish5IMG_4425.jpg

Originally I was going to use Luxeon K2's, but had to modify the collimators in order for them to fit, and to get better focus. Surprisingly this mod also improved the focus with Luxeon lll's and V's as well, projecting a better defined image of the LED, and tightening the beam.

My experiences with K2's has not been too good (probably due to my incompetence with electronics) and I prefer the results I'm getting with Lux' lll's and V's.

3db919c4.jpg

The first beamshot shows the slight cross shaped center spot with the standard collimator, and the second beamshot the better focused center.

The spill is very untidy but it is quite dim compared to the center, and as this head is specifically for throw this is not a priblem for ME.

These beamshots taken at 20m are all with the camera set to daylight white balance, and at the same exposure. The Wiz' regulated Lux lll is a U bin, but the other LED's are ones I got some while ago and the bin is unknown.

I very much doubt that these are as bright or smooth as a LED/Mag combo as I don't have one to compare with, but its one hell of a lot smaller :)

Compared to earlier ones, these collimators have a gold tint to them which slightly warms the light and improves visual contrast, especially on foliage, although I do not know the intended purpose of this tint.

If anyone was particularly fussy about the tint of their LED though, I think the tint would be a problem.

The original and tinted collimators, and the assembly of the head (minus the LED module).

This is an ongoing project for me, and I have plenty more work to do before I will consider it finished. I need a good location for some 100m+ beamshots, and I have just received the first sample headshell back from the anodisers, so hopefully I will be able to update with some more pictures soon.

And finally some random pics to add a bit of background info.

Thanks for looking.
Colin.

EDIT - ADDED BEAMSHOTS

At last I have some 100m+ beamshots - actually 160m.... :)

All the night pics were taken at the same settings and with daylight white ballance.

Not a very dark night and unfortunately big city light pollution reared its head and introduced the arty red sky... I'll try to find a more remote location when I get the time so I willl have to make do with these for now.

Don't be deceived by the apparent size of this building.. the windows are GIGANTIC .. check out the figures in front of the building in the location shot.:eek:oo:

Colin.

Last edited:

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Long throw head for SF E series

NICE! Look forward to the beamshots. :goodjob:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks awesome, good job! Any intentions in selling finished product, what light engine are you using? Do you plan to do HA on it?

Very Nice! Keep us updated

AlexGT

Edit: I just envisioned this head on the E series pineapple body PEU is making, It would kick some serious butt. Dang!

Last edited:

ICUDoc

Enlightened

Hi Colin

Lovely job! It looks great!
Do you mind if I ask where to get these collimators? I have been after one for some time, as I want to build something like you have, but with all the batts and driver snugged up behind the collimator to make it a thick, disclike package. Just for fun.
Thanks for showing us this!

evanlocc

Enlightened

buttrock.gif

buttrock.gif
Look like the SF-E series gonna R O C K again!
buttrock.gif

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

:wow: very nice! :twothumbs

jtice

Flashaholic

I am very impressed. :thumbsup:
Thats a very good looking, professionally setup system, jig and all.

I hope you plan to make more, and I hope the are priced well, I think I want one :green:

~John

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

OMFG. i should have bought the E2L...at least i can buy that and fit it on the body...

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is that grey finish, or are you going to put more layers of coating?
Cool head!

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Ganp,

That's a great looking project. I would be up for one if you are going to sell.

Kind regards

Graham

Kiessling

Flashaholic

This ROCKS !!!
If you make them available ... count me in ... I want one :D :D
Titanium? :poke: :D :crackup:

bernie

boomboots

Newly Enlightened

Yes, thats awesome! One more reason to love the E-series =)

flex76italy

Enlightened

Absolutely an awesome and stunning work :twothumbs

Ganp

Enlightened

Everyone...thanks for the encouragement :)

AlexGT .. I've used several styles of ligh engine. I had hoped to make my heatsinks compatible with McGizmo's ECan, But the Shoppe was out of stock and I could'nt find the dimensions so I ended up doing my own.

lightengines1.jpg

The type in the second picture has an integral can for the driver, and extra clearance under the LED tags to avoid the solder connections fowling the rear of the very shallow collimator. These could also be filled with an insulator such as AA.

Another version of this combined heatsink has a raised center to give this clearance.

The first pic' is the ECan style heatsink. Apart from possible size differences to the ECan the main difference is that the 'ground' is via a recessed screw terminal on the top of the heatsink, and electrical connention is through the heatsink thread.

McGizmo's design is unbeatable IMHO, and much easier to assemble than my integrated version.

I hope he does'nt mind my copy :whistle:

The last two pics show a DD heatsink and the neccesary clearance for the LED tags.

AlexGT and nekomane..

This is the sample I've just had back from the anodisers in HA natural.

IMG_4741.jpg

The grey head in my first post was just sandblasted and so would mark very easily.

ICUDoc..

The collimators are available from here .. http://www.carclo-optics.co.uk/V2/index.html

Colin.

Last edited: