Why are flashlight holsters designed this way?

jlomein

Enlightened
Of most vertical flashlight holsters I have seen, they are designed so the top of the holder lies above the height of the belt. Usually this results in a flashlight's head sitting a few inches above the belt.

Why is this? Is it neccessary so the holster has structural integrity? When the holster sits this high, it tends to jab into your side above your waist.

Personally I prefer holsters that sit below or at the belt height.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree and posted this same question last year. Although I think it's a PITS(ide) to have the head above the belt a few others think they like it.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
I want a trick rig up my sleeve, just flex my wrist the right way and my L2D CE jumps into my hand like a magic wand :rock:

cy

Flashaholic
get ahold of John Willis and get one custom made to your spec's.
be ready to pay out a premium price though...

defusion

Enlightened
Ousanas said:
I want a trick rig up my sleeve, just flex my wrist the right way and my L2D CE jumps into my hand like a magic wand :rock:
Ah yes, this would work for me aswell. Maybe twist the other way for a fixed knife.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've made a few cases and all of them have the belt loop away from the very top of the case. I personally think it's easier to remove the flashlight with this design. Also, a case which is attached by the head tends to swing or shift about more than one attached closer to the middle.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of the nylon sheath type pouches have the head of the light at or below belt level (e.g. MiniMag, Fenix.) Holsters, loops, or pouches that are marketed for public safety usage on a Sam Browne belt would more likely sit higher above the belt to enable the user to sit in a motor vehicle with the light on the belt. Generally the flashlight is the least of your concerns when it comes to something jabbing into your side (they don't sit that high), items that are more noticable would be a radio (especially if it has a VHF antenna), an ASP baton, or the butt of a sidearm. Even the top of a magazine pouch can be more easily noticed than the top of a flashlight pouch.

jlomein said:
Why is this? Is it neccessary so the holster has structural integrity? When the holster sits this high, it tends to jab into your side above your waist.

Personally I prefer holsters that sit below or at the belt height.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
jlomein said:
Of most vertical flashlight holsters I have seen, they are designed so the top of the holder lies above the height of the belt...Why is this?

That's a basic type or style of holster referred to as a "high-ride" holster, which has some big advantages over the "low-ride" holster type that you prefer.

One problem with low-ride holsters is their tendency to flop around while walking, unless the lower end of the holster is secured to the thigh with a strap or tie of some sort.

mtn_dance

Newly Enlightened
While on this subject, why the D-ring at the top of the Fenix holsters? If they went over the butt of the flashlight as a lock, I could understand. The D-ring must be for attachment to another type belt?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont like most holsters, because to change things around i have to remove the belt first. so i add VELCRO to a holster, and it makes it work the way i want.
if you added a hunk of velcro TO a holster, you could make it easy on/off, and drop it down a bit. Sew-on velcro is cheap, and can be glued easily. to glue it, just clean the surfaces with alcohol , then use Barge goop or shoe goo cement.

the Velcro WITH the glue already on it, is WORTHLESS JUNK, the glue always changes in the heat.

with a 1$ of velcro and the right glue , i can build anything that can be held together with Duct tape :)

the other thing that smaller flashlight holsters could use is a ratcheting twist, we have that on the holster for our wireless mics. that would allow a user to angle the light out and USE it , while its still IN the holster.
i bet a person could do that with velcro too.

Last edited: