How to take a U2 apart?

iapyx

Enlightened
yes, I´m one of those who wants to take the plastic insert out of my U2 in order to be able to use rechargeables.

I´ve read somewhere on CPF to put the tube in a freezer for 20 minutes after which the plastic inserte can be taken out easily.

Now I´d like to put only the tube in the freezer.
So here´s my question (before I use too much force): how can I take the U2 apart?

thanks,
iapyx

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head twists off just like the tailcap. It might be a bit stiff, but it is made to be twisted off. Some WD40 or similar stuff might be a bit of help if it doesn't come off easily. Just wipe off the stuff afterwards.

When you are going to use 18650s you have to insert them from the head end of the light anyway.

Sverre

iapyx

Enlightened
Sverre, thanks! Just managed to take it apart. Nothing broke off. :) Nice image btw, next to your cpf name.

Glockboy: nice link. Seen that video.

thanks

flashlightpoor

Newly Enlightened
For what it is worth, I put my U2 in the freezer and it didn't help. the tube was amazingly well glued in. I took a lot of force and bending two small screwdrivers to scrape the tube out. The tube cracked in many places and many times-- which was the only way to get it out. I scratched the inside of the tube and even once, slipped and ca-jiggered the threads. It made a complete mess of it; one of those jobs you start at 11:45pm and you really shouldn't be working. Still, I put in the lathe the next day and ran 600 grit sand paper inside and smoothed it all out, it looks perfect now. And I ran a tap through the threads and they are fine. You can put 123As in without the tube, they rattle a little. but I am only running 18650s in mine any way. And i suppose if you really wanted to put the tube back i you could ask surefire to send you another one. Remember you have to stretch the TOP spring a little to use 18650s.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
iapyx said:
Sverre, thanks! Just managed to take it apart. Nothing broke off. :) Nice image btw, next to your cpf name.

Glockboy: nice link. Seen that video.

thanks

No problem, my pleasure.

The cat and the U2 are good friends:D

Now you just need a stash of 18650s to go out and blind someone;)

Sverre

iapyx

Enlightened
Managed to take the plastic insert out without any problems.
Only had to put the tube in the freezer several times.
I was impatient and took it out too early each time :)

ja10

Enlightened
The U2 + 18650 is quite possibly the best all around light out there (at least according to me :)). I'm glad you got that thing out okay.

iapyx

Enlightened
This is really an improvement!!

After taken out the plastic insert of my U2, I put in a WA 18650.
Nothing happened. Of course, the battery was not charged. I'd have to wait till I receive a pair of charging magnets. My curiousity won: I remember someone telling me the 18650 is a bit shorter than 2xCR123. So there was no contact.
Luckily WA sent me a pair of those flat magnets as well, so after putting two of them on top of the 18650 I inserted it in my U2 and voila, light!

Still wonder how a 3.7V battery can replace 2x3V CR123 batteries and provide 1,5 hours of light vs 1 hour. Probably due to the regulating chip inside the U2.

WOW. I love my U2 again.
(I already did, but the improvement is welcome)

iapyx