ARC AAA Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlperl

Newly Enlightened
I just received and ARC AAA direct from ARC. Great little light! However, I have a question about the light beam. It seems to put out a wide cone, and is definitely bright, but there is no distinct white "hotspot" in the center...my white Photon II has a very clear, even hotspot. On the ARC, instead of a bright hotspot, there is a moderate blueish spot in the middle and then a fade to a fairly sharp, blue corona.

Is this typical? I am just curious, I can't copmplain too much because the light will fill a room and overall is very white, just the center of the beam has me wondering.

I have seen beam shots posted here and on ARC's site, but mine doesn't seem to have as strong a center.

Can anyone shed any "light" on this phenomenon?

Thanks!

merlperl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Peter!

As I said, I am very impressed with the amount of light it puts out, not to mention the solid construction! And I find the slightly blue corona to be cool...doesn't interfere at all with the usefulness. I just wanted to make sure it was giving me all it was supposed to.

I love it!

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, the blueish white tint is normal for white LEDs. What I was talking about was the beam geometry.

Peter

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam pictures please, someone?

One reason I like the little 2-LED 4xAAA folding light is its complete lack of a central bright spot -- for some purposes the even lighting is just wonderful.

So, hearing that there's a new batch of Arc AAAs with no center hotspot is VERY INTERESTING.

I'd love to see how one of this new batch of Arc AAAs illuminates, say, a page of an open book, for reading purposes.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I love the 4AAA Energizer Folding light. I would have to say it's my favorite light under $20...I think, let me think about it some more--I'll get back to you.

I find the blue tint not annoying at all and I actually ajust to it after a few minutes, whereuopon turning on a incandesent light will make me shudder (The yellow!). Even the evil dog **** green Luxeons don't bug me when I'm actually using the light, as opposed to (For lack of the word I really want to use) worshipping it.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hank/Saaby;
Are you guys sure about the *AAA* batt pack in the Ev. folding lantern??
-The one I have has 4-*AA*
confused.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Mine too, Hank said 4 AAA and (Judging from the time of that post) I had just gotten home from school (LIE!) and so I just went along with him without thinking about it.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our last batch of 500BS (Nichia part used in the Arc-AAA) has a different falloff. Overall though, they seem nice and bright and the tint is good. Just a different looking beam.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.