Sony CycleEnergy 3800mAh Ni-MH AA-cells

Martin

Enlightened
A week ago, I received 2 packs of the amazing Sony 3800mAh AA NiMH cells:
SonyAA3800front.jpg

SonyAA3800back.jpg

SonyAA3800_cell.jpg

I actually didn't believe someone could make an AA NiMH cell with 3800mAh capacity, so I put the CBA II to good use:

Discharge at 1A suggests cell capacities of 560mAh, 530mAh, 520mAh and 570mAh, an average of 550mAh only.
SonyAA3800_1A.gif

I attempt discharge at a lower current (50mA = C/14), as I suspect these super-high capacity cells have an issue with higher currents. Well, it brought the capacity up to an average of 650mAh, not anywhere near 3800mAh:
SonyCycleEnergyC14.gif

Another strange thing I noticed: Cell number 4 did not charge properly on my Ansmann Energy16 charger, neither did it on a TCM cheapy. The chargers ended the charge far to early and the cell appeared to have a very low capacity. So I trickle-charged all cells at 50mA from the bench power supply, only then they exhibit the performance shown in the first graph.

What's going on ? Are these fake cells ? Anyone come across these ?

Editing to add some numbers:

These cells are very lightweight. Comparison of cell weight:
4 pcs AA Sony CycleEnergy 3800 = 67g
4 pcs AA Sanyo standard 2100 = 113g
4 pcs AA Sanyo "Eneloop" 2000 = 105g
4 pcs AA Varta "Ready2Use" 2100 = 113g

These cells are relatively small by their dimensions:
Sony CycleEnergy 3800: Length = 49.7mm, diameter = 14.0mm
Sanyo standard 2000: Lenght = 50.4mm, diameter = 14.2mm
Sanyo "Eneloop" 2000: Length = 50.3mm, diameter = 14.2mm
Varta "Ready2Use" 2100: Length = 50.5mm, diameter = 14.3mm

Last edited:

Nell

Enlightened
Shift this post to Flashlight Electronics-Batteries Included.

I didn't think the cell capacity had reached much beyond 3000mAh, if that , much less 3800mAh. I'm no expert.

More experts there.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mod will hopefully come by and move this thread. Don't sweat it. :)

Thanks for the testing. Just by initial appearances these look like they're fakes with false, lying labels. Especially based on the weight tha t you gave.
What charger/ method did you use to charge these? I doubt theres an error there as it seems you have a good idea of what you're doing anyway, but that's the only thing I can think of that might throw off the results of these are "genuine."

havand

Enlightened
PhantomPhoton said:
Mod will hopefully come by and move this thread. Don't sweat it. :)

Thanks for the testing. Just by initial appearances these look like they're fakes with false, lying labels. Especially based on the weight tha t you gave.
What charger/ method did you use to charge these? I doubt theres an error there as it seems you have a good idea of what you're doing anyway, but that's the only thing I can think of that might throw off the results of these are "genuine."

Could it be possible they're Ni-Cad with weight like that? (If so, they're guaranteed fake and not even NIMH at that!)

HiltiHome

Enlightened
Don't know nothing about Sony 3800 cells...
possibly a fake....

Did you calibrate your measuring equipment with a well know cell like Sanyo eneloop?

Where did you get the cells from ?

April 1. has gone, right?

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny stuff! My Harbor Freight $3.99 pack of four AAA NiMH's put out more than these, even at the 1A discharge rate.

Definitely fake, no doubt. What country did you purchase them from?

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
You'll also note that the fakers can't do math. 10% more than 3750 mAh would be 4125 mAh, not the 3800 mAh indicated on the back of the package...

Martin

Enlightened
My equipment is calibrated, confimed by known good Sanyo cells.
After I realize my charges don't detect end of charge of these cells properly, I top them up by a day of 50mA trickle-charge.
I also feel they are NiCD, from looking at the capacity.
Came across these on German EBAY, asked the seller if this can be true, he wasn't sure and immediately ended the auction. He offered to send me a couple of them to test them, now this is the result.
However, these cells and their packing look perfect. Don't see no signs of an imitation, but could be it's just very well done.

bridgman

Enlightened
NH-AA-B2C seems to be a valid Sony product code for a discontinued 2100 mAH cell. If you look closely at the label on the front the "38" seems to be in a different font from the "00".

Did anyone notice the graphics on the back showing how 3800 mAH is "10% greater" than 3750 mAH ?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ckthorp said:
You'll also note that the fakers can't do math. 10% more than 3750 mAh would be 4125 mAh, not the 3800 mAh indicated on the back of the package...

:lolsign: I noticed that too! Let's see...10% of 3750 = 375, so 3750 + 375 = ummm...3800...yeah, that's it...print the packaging and get 'em on the market!

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
EDIT: bad information removed. See post 22.

Last edited:

Martin

Enlightened
nanotech17 said:
..Check or contact Sony Corp to find out.
This is actually what the seller did after I expressed doubt abt these cells. Reportedly Sony Germany replied that they cannot help because this product is not marketed by Sony Germany.

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
I can't believe how good the the packaging looks on these fakes. Makes me want to look at all items a bit closer.