200mW Laser Battery

VegasSteve777

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone shed some light as to which battery is optimum for my 200mW Greenie.....

I've read threads in here that the BEST are the "Lithiuim Primary" AA's....

In researching online, a bit of confusion comes whereas it seems that there are different mah and voltage rated primarys, and a vast difference in pricing....

IE: I found a site that sells a 20pack of AA Lithium Primarys for $29.00+tx, with an mah of 2900 @ 1.5 volts.... On the same page, just one single battery for $2.98ea+tx, with an mah rating of 2600, but with over double the voltage @ 3.6 volts........

Which is the best choice for optimum brightness, and are either of these choices SAFE to use in a 200mW Greenie?? Price doesn't concern me with these batteries, whereas I want the battery that produces the brightest beam since I seldom use the laser, like when out camping with friends and showing off the beam for star pointing etc into the pitch black skies.....

And........Is there a difference in longivity with the higher voltage primary, and lastly, lol, where is the best place to shop for these batteries.....Here in Vegas, I've checked with Radio Shack, Circuit City, Fryes, Batteries +, and can't find them anywhere in town.......

Thanks for any info!!

~Steve~ Las Vegas, NV

Ashton

Enlightened
just be SURE the laser an handle it. I think like 98% of greenies can, but I know a lot of reds will burn up, so I thought I'd mention that.

If you want good, low-cost batteries, goto batterystation.com (I think...) somewhere on here's a link to their CPF specials, where you can get some batteries, like the expensive CR123s for $1!!!

Otherwise, I suggest walmart, they seem to have the lowest prices on batteries, unless you trust eBay.....

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You ***DO NOT*** want the 3.6 volt AA cells - those are lithium thional chloride (yeah, I'm sure I spelled THAT term right! :eek:) in chemistry, and are intended for use in low current drain applications like computer memory backup!!! :eek: :green: :eek:

If you don't fry the laser with excessive voltage, the battery's maximum current delivery capacity may be insufficient to fire the laser up at all.

picrthis

Enlightened
VegasSteve777 said:
Can anyone shed some light as to which battery is optimum for my 200mW Greenie.....

I've read threads in here that the BEST are the "Lithiuim Primary" AA's....

In researching online, a bit of confusion comes whereas it seems that there are different mah and voltage rated primarys, and a vast difference in pricing....

IE: I found a site that sells a 20pack of AA Lithium Primarys for $29.00+tx, with an mah of 2900 @ 1.5 volts.... On the same page, just one single battery for $2.98ea+tx, with an mah rating of 2600, but with over double the voltage @ 3.6 volts........

Which is the best choice for optimum brightness, and are either of these choices SAFE to use in a 200mW Greenie?? Price doesn't concern me with these batteries, whereas I want the battery that produces the brightest beam since I seldom use the laser, like when out camping with friends and showing off the beam for star pointing etc into the pitch black skies.....

And........Is there a difference in longivity with the higher voltage primary, and lastly, lol, where is the best place to shop for these batteries.....Here in Vegas, I've checked with Radio Shack, Circuit City, Fryes, Batteries +, and can't find them anywhere in town.......

Thanks for any info!!

~Steve~ Las Vegas, NV
Sams Club has them E2 Lithiuim 12 pack $20.00 & Target sells them in 4 packs, do you have any of those stores at there? (been awhile since I was in Vegas).

I seen that 20 pack you are talking about, but forgot what the site was?

VegasSteve777

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info....

I'm totally new and inept within knowledge regarding Lithiums.....

Isn't there a difference between the E2 Lithium and a Lithium PRIMARY???

My vague understanding, at least to this point, is that the Lithium PRIMARYS are a far superior battery........Is this true??

~Steve~ Las Vegas, NV

barkingmad

Enlightened
You will want the 1.5v ones for a laser pointer - the 3.6v ones are (as someone else said) Lithium Thonyl Chloride or Lithium Ion (rechargeable).

Aseras

Enlightened
just buy energizer lithiums and nothing else and you will be safe.

Ashton

Enlightened
:oops: sorry, post edited... I'd have sworn somewhere that lasers ran on 3.x volts... I'm gonna ahve to go back and reread everything...... I gotta remember I'm too much of a nOOb to ever post any answers... sorry again...

I still standby batterystation having the best prices (outside of eBay) that *I* have *PERSONALLY SEEN* there are probably better places, but AFAIK they're one of the cheepest.

Kenom

Enlightened
Yes lasers do run on 3.x volts. However most pointers have the capacity for two batteries generally AAA's since your looking for 3.x v. you want two batteries that are 1.5+ volts up to 1.75v. Even that high may be bad. Pretty new to this myself.