Arc AAA+p question

lukus

Enlightened
I've got an Arc AAA+p that I've been carrying in my pocket for a while now. I really like it for what it is, but want to improve it. The open ended no lens thing tends to collect lint like my belly button:green:. I've got some ultra clear epoxy and am thinking of pouring in a bit and making a solid lens. I remember some discussion like this a couple of years ago but don't remember some of the details. I remember it tends to take out the bit of hot spot and make it all even flood. Makes sense, not really a problem there. (might even stand mine up and fill it with water to get an idea of the new beam)

I'm thinking I have to somehow seal off the bottom of the reflector and the led. I would be using a slow set high viscosity epoxy and think the epoxy would wick past the led and end up glueing everything together.

Also, It would obviously glue the led to the head. If, sometime in the future I wanted to change the emitter, would that even be possible? Maybe unsolder the led first from the board, and then chip or pop out the whole blob.

Lastly, I've been jonesing for one of Millermods Arcs. Is the reason he's using the cree over the SSC because it's got a glass cap while the SSC has some kind of softer cap? Without a lens, the SSC would just get messed up. If that's the reason, then this poured epoxy lens would make the SSC an alternative.

Any experiences doing this, or any thoughts or things I need to consider before doing?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say epoxy is going to seal everything to the point that I wouldn't count on popping it out - ever. At least not without destroying a lot of things. I'm also guessing that you will lose some Lumens even with a clear epoxy and the Arc AAA doesn't have a lot to start with. I used to put one of those vinyl rubber type caps over the end of an Arc to keep things clean. But then I got tired of pulling it off and just went back to carrying it in the key pocket.Either way good luck and let us know what you decide and how it works.

cy

Flashaholic
Cree are better than SSC P4 in a mod with exposed emitter.

beam pattern for Cree are ideal for mods without much reflector area. P4's gummy fragile dome would not be durable as Cree's hard external surface.

Darksky

Newly Enlightened
What about using the humble luxeon? It wasn't that long ago they were the bees knees and if your not going to change the stock driver a nice SWOH 1W would do the job.

Eryk