5mm, 10 mm LED's, how big will/can they get?

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read about all of the LED's but I am particularly curious about the 5mm and 10mm LED's. How much bigger can they realistically/technically get? Why not make them as big as light bulbs, apply some frost coating, engineer a circuit for AC electricity and you will have a very earth friendly light bulb right? Or maybe I am wrong. Is it impossible to make an LED so large?

Just curious. It seems that the current LED light bulbs are clusters. I'm sure better "household' LED light bulbs are on the horizon.

Illum

Flashaholic
the emitter part is basically the same size in either 3mm, 5mm, or 10mm sized LEDs...how big will they get depends on what application it is used in and how big your plastic mold is.

Cydonia

Enlightened
if you made an LED as large as a light bulb it would have a lot of mass. Absurdly so...

But I want to know how bright 5mm LED's can get. Can they technically continue to gain in output? I see white 5mm Nichia LED's at 21,000 mcd... will they one day reach 100,000 etc,. ? Is that possible?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing gained by makign those epoxy LEDs larger (say, going from 3mm to 5mm to 10mm) is that the light is more focused with a larger epoxy lens. However, overall output is the same in every case due to the fact that the emitter is encased in plastic, it is thermally insulated -- this heating is what limits the output. In order to keep from overheating, those kinds of emitters must be driven at very low currents to have any sort of longevity. Many cheap flashlights or brand-x household bulbs that use these plastic LEDs that use them will overdrive them, and lead to lots of ugly premature failures.

Higher-power LEDs all tend to be surface-mountable, and require being mounted to a good heatsink. Even these can be driven to more than 50 times the brightness of the best 5mm LEDs, heat is still a problem for making household light bulb replacements. The problem there is that most light bulb sockets are thermally insulated as well - as they are designed to contain the heat from incandescent lamps, so making an LED lightbulb to fit into a regular socket still presents a problem, both from the perspective of heating, and (more importantly) cost.

Also, screw-in light bulbs are not the best use for LEDs -- the advantage of LEDs is that they can be focused, so IMO the best application for them is for small track lighting applications, or in custom fixtures (not retrofit bulbs). For lighting up an entire room, the best bet is to get a good fluorescent fixture (not the crap sold in most stores) -- the best fluorescenst are cheaper, have better color output, are more efficient, and have longer practical life than any LEDs I know of (the only LEDs that would have longer life in real-world use are single-color inidicator lights).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate having a hot lightbulb near me so I was an early adopter of CFLs (11W Osrams at $23 a pop - ouch!).
CFLs are still fairly warm so I tried various LED bulbs as they become available. 24LED, 48LED, 36LED various 1W Luxeons.
24LED - too dim
48LED PAR30- too heavy
The 36LED PAR20 and the Luxeon with 30 to 45 degree beam work fairly well - just bright enough to be useful closeup yet fairly cool. The bulbs are warm but when I put my hand on the head of the lamp (swingarm, gooseneck) i do not feel the heat.

Then I came across this puppy:
http://www.eliteled.com/products/lightbulbs/cree-110-e26.html
No UL nor CSA nor CE listing.
Those stripes are not decrations. They are one massive cast aluminium heatsink. And it gets hot enough I had to wait for it to cool down before removing it from the lamp. The head of the lamp now gets as warm as a 9 watt CFL! I do not think I am getting any energy savings.
The light is quite bright with a beam pattern identical to an L0D-CE but with a much smoother spill. 'Torch lumens' out the front is less than the 240 lumens claimed - my L0D-CE on steroids (10440,high) is still slightly brighter.

There is also one the same shape and size as a regular incan household bulb.Note this one has 5 Crees instead of the 3 in the one I got.
http://www.eliteled.com/products/lightbulbs/cree-5x1w-e26.html

eliteled was not the first to introduce these. ORB started an interest thread a while back. I think I killed it when I started to ask about UL listing etc. The quality of the heatsink showed proper engineering design and construction. No crap operation from the backstreets of Hong Kong here. I an surprised the manufacturer did not take the extra step to get the UL/CSA/CE approvals which would have improved the available distribution channels considerably.