OMG What the heck is happening with postal rates?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I've been out of the loop for a bit. I haven't sent any packages since before the latest rate change. Anyway, today I go to drop off several packages and OMG all the rates are WAY different for these little padded envelopes I'm sending out. There not calculated like letters anymore, the cost is much higher per ounce! Everything cost 60% more to send than I estimated. :faint: Heck, I was SOOO proud of myself when I figured out a way to put all these items into a Small Global Priority Flat Rate envelope, only to find out it does not exist anymore. I had to pay double what I though I was going to! :mecry:

It's not a jeer to the USPS. I'm just saying WOW the rate have shot up and really cut into the prices I set for some of the items I recently sold. :( I wasn't aware they changed the price structure for 'packages' that much, so I thought I've just say something and give a warning in case there are others who have not sent anything recently.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yeah, pretty much anything thicker than an empty padded envelope is considered a "package" now. Rates go by package size as well. Yup, it was a shocker for me too.
:(

axolotls

Enlightened
I know I've been out of the loop for a bit. I haven't sent any packages since before the latest rate change. Anyway, today I go to drop off several packages and OMG all the rates are WAY different for these little padded envelopes I'm sending out. There not calculated like letters anymore, the cost is much higher per ounce! Everything cost 60% more to send than I estimated. :faint: Heck, I was SOOO proud of myself when I figured out a way to put all these items into a Small Global Priority Flat Rate envelope, only to find out it does not exist anymore. I had to pay double what I though I was going to! :mecry:

It's not a jeer to the USPS. I'm just saying WOW the rate have shot up and really cut into the prices I set for some of the items I recently sold. :( I wasn't aware they changed the price structure for 'packages' that much, so I thought I've just say something and give a warning in case there are others who have not sent anything recently.

Tell me about it. I think they are using a minimum ONE POUND rate for international. So sending small/light items have gotten way more expensive.

I also just sent a Priority Mail Pack (no extras) for over $50!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's happening to postal rates? Same thing that is happening to gas prices - going through the roof and I'm sure that is some of the postal increase. Were being %^#*#$ every which way they can. Take a look at this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbakN7SLdbk Could we really get back to $1.50 a gallon gas? I have NO doubt it is possible but I'm sure it's not going to happen soon. Not as long as they can suck us dry and not until an alternate energy source gets into the mainstream.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just sent a package today that weighed a little more than a pound total, and it cost me 6.15 or so to ship it priority.

Man i miss when It only cost a little over 4.00

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
time to take full advantage of the new priority flatrate boxes.
i have one here stuffed with dc fluorescent ballasts that weighs approx 30 pounds ready to go out in the morning.
weight limit is 70 pounds.
send goodies in bulk and split it up locally when possible.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
US shipping rates are almost as much as ours are up here in Canada. Welcome to the club. What used to cost you guys $1.41 to ship, would cost us ~$6.50 to ship the same thing :shrug:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
time to take full advantage of the new priority flatrate boxes.
i have one here stuffed with dc fluorescent ballasts that weighs approx 30 pounds ready to go out in the morning.
weight limit is 70 pounds.
send goodies in bulk and split it up locally when possible.

I always wanted to get a piece of steel or granite that just fit inside that box and send it to someone.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wanted to get a piece of steel or granite that just fit inside that box and send it to someone.

Funny you mention that, I recently did something just like that.
I sent a stack of stainless steel plates to an engraver in a flat rate box. 70 pounds, right on the limit. At the PO I had to take two plates out and put them in a flat rate envelope because there scale showed I was over the limit (mine didn't, go figure)
anyway, 70 pounds in a flat rate box was $8.95 and 3 pounds in a flat rate envelope was $4.60. I don't know why the engraver didn't send them back the same way, I bet it cost him $30 or so since he used UPS.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are using a minimum ONE POUND rate for international. So sending small/light items have gotten way more expensive.
If so that would be why Battery Bob recently told me to work out what international shipping would be on some Eneloop AAAs by using the USPS 1 pound rate. :sigh:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sinjz - what would you say a $1.13 is equivalent to in hours worked to earn that where you are for the median worker? I actually wonder if this is a big jump if it isn't some attempt to squash sales from Asia. Just a thought as I may be wrong. I know there have been some bills in the works here to try thrwarting Chinese exports to some extent. You are in Japan ?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you mention that, I recently did something just like that.
I sent a stack of stainless steel plates to an engraver in a flat rate box. 70 pounds, right on the limit. At the PO I had to take two plates out and put them in a flat rate envelope because there scale showed I was over the limit (mine didn't, go figure)
anyway, 70 pounds in a flat rate box was $8.95 and 3 pounds in a flat rate envelope was $4.60. I don't know why the engraver didn't send them back the same way, I bet it cost him $30 or so since he used UPS.

Hahaha... that's funny! :laughing:

I think the smaller flat rate box is gone too. :(

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sinjz - what would you say a $1.13 is equivalent to in hours worked to earn that where you are for the median worker? I actually wonder if this is a big jump if it isn't some attempt to squash sales from Asia. Just a thought as I may be wrong. I know there have been some bills in the works here to try thrwarting Chinese exports to some extent. You are in Japan ?

:thinking:

Huh?

I would guess a few minutes, but I'm not sure who actually the 'median' worker is.

How can the US dictate postal cost in countries other than the US? Also most good from Asia to US, do not go through the postal system. They go via large cargo ships.

Lastly, I'm in NYC. :wave::grin2: Why did you think Japan? :crackup:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I recently had Unforgivn forward 16 eneloop batteries to me in Australia (Amazon wouldn't ship to Australia) he had the post office quote $11 for sea mail, $11.50 priority. :shakehead
Norm