Lubed my Fenix; much satisfaction

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I've had a Fenix P1DCE for several months now, and my only gripe with the thing is that the threads were too stiff to operate it one-handed. Yesterday, I applied some dialectric boot grease from the auto parts store (the silicone based stuff you use for spark plug wires), and now it's a lot faster and easier to operate. I did the same to my E1 and P1, and the P1 is noticeably smoother. Everything works better with a little lubricant.

Sarratt

Enlightened
You guys are bad !!! :rolleyes:

but never forget that it's friction and contact that does the job.

sheesh i must be tired .... or just ummm ok being good.

I've never been able to figure out whats better : teflon lube or silicone lube.
One thing I do know is don't go slathering "it" all over your lights.

Teflon?
Silicone?...

a braver soul than I would do a poll

:poke:

(edited to add .... the poll line was not intended to be .... well you know ... sorry)

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some ring greese which is silicone based, and i apply it to the rings and threads of all my lights. It has done wonders also to my P1D CE. and +1 for the one handed thing... Ring greese.... sounds very.. perverse?

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that most of the drag, at least on my Fenix lights, has been the o-ring. Try removing it and see how easily it turns.

I always clean the threads with something, alcohol usually, and re-lube whenever I get a new light. I then remove the o-ring and sand it down to remove some friction. Here's an old post where I explained how I do it. Click here..

If you're careful, it comes out great!

shakeylegs

Enlightened
there was a young boy named mel
who lubed up his flashlight with gel
it smoothed up the action
to his satisfaction
you fill in the last line, oh well

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
some things are better stiff...

anyway, what lube did you use on your light? nyogel?

I used "dialectric boot grease." It's the same stuff you use on spark plug boots when installing new plugs in your car. Not the "anti-seize" lube that goes on the threads, but the silicone based stuff that goes on the end that sticks out of the block. You can get it in a tube, but I just used one of those foil packets I had left over from the last time I changed my plugs and wires.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would see two issues with conductive greases... The ones I am familiar with are very messy when they migrate (hands, cloths) and can get into electronic circuits and cause shorts/failures.

The above issues with silicon grease are much less/non-existent. However, there is one issue to be aware of with silicon greases... It can be very hard on small switches. Even the fumes from silicon grease can get into fine switch contacts and cause them to fail open. For example, silicon grease, in the "olden days" could eventually (and has) disable an entire telephone switch room just from some silicon grease on a entry door (we had to certify our equipment did not use silicon grease for phone companies).

To be honest, I have not heard of anyone having contact failures with silicon grease and flashlight contacts--but if your switches seem to be getting dirty/failing often--you might try washing out the silicon grease and using something else.

That is why it is usually better to use a contact lubricant, like Gold Mist, or other types of lubricant designed for electrical use. Although, I use automotive silicon grease on my flashlight "O" rings and threads too.

-Bill