Wildest Dreams...

kudu

Newly Enlightened
My question to all you flashlight aficianados is this: What would you consider to be the perfectly designed flashlight? For the sake of being reasonable let's stick to current or at the most near future technology. I am kind of curious as to what features are perceived to be the most important in a flashlight, and what features people wish manufacturers would include in their lights.

I will start by describing my perfect flashlight. First of all it would be of an extremely modular design with many interchacngeable parts. A legos system that would allow you to have many lights in one. I would say a two battery model (lithium 123a) because it would be a good compormise between still be small enough to be pocketable but large enough to not be easily lost and could obviously be brighter, with longer run time than a single lithium 123a.

This light should use a Cree or similar high output LED with variable output btween a very low level and a high beam of at least 150 lumens, with a strobe mode as well. A variety of options should be available, drop in LED modules of different types and colors, tailcap switch options and interchangeable lenses, or an adjustable reflector allowing the user to go from a flood type beam to an intermediate muti purpose setting to a pure throw narrow beam spot.

defusion

Enlightened
for me the surefire M series are "the poop", and i hope to be able to afford all of them some day.
the best compromise IMO is the surefire M3, which is my most used flashlight i own (though my collection is highly limited compared to many people on this board. and the surefire M3 is my only M series light.). It's small enough to fit in my pockets (i mostly wear pants with large pockets though, like the 5.11 tactical pants), and puts out tremendous amounts of light. runtime sucks, but i recharge it every day, and of emergency's i have some primaries in my backpack (though for real emergencies, i'll probably choose to use the G2 with LED drop-in, which also is in my backpack, that way i can have lots of runtime).

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off the shelf?? McGizmo's PD. Two levels of LED-ish goodness, found either with the head or the tailcap. Customize as needed. Sweet :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
if size/runtime requirements ask for 2 pc. CR123s, then better a light that runs on an 18650. More power and non-rechargeable
sleek and elegant to easy pocketing = no strike bezels and similar things
possibility to use a lanyard
anything else as You meant
= a modded Inova T1,
(but could be a tad longer to put a larger heatsink + reflector into)
or a modded T2, if it were shorter (say 5" long) and with a bigger body diameter to accomodate 18650s

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 for the PD (S) but with a boost option of 150 lumens and 3 trits round the body ala NS RAW. :popcorn:

bouncer

Enlightened
My wildest dreams involve $500 lights for $50. I guess I need to be patient.

Is that all, My wildest dream is a surefire beast dual level led/Hid recharcheable for $100 (I can dream can't I)

In all seriousness in my eyes the ideal lights are the surefire executive series especially the two cell size kl4 head for room lighting the bump in the night kl1 for throw to short and medium range and also incan for true color rendition pocket size and fits most hands perfectly one cell is great but small for my hands and personally I don't have much use for two stage switching though I can see where some may

Last edited: