Flashlight for Electronics use

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I restore vintage radios fior a hobby, and need a new flashlight for shining into dark corners of the chassis. It is used at close range, so needs to be bright but not dazzling.

Requirements are:

1) 2AA / 2C - that sort of form factor.

2) Must be made of plastic - no external metal at all.

3) No dark spot in the middle - no donut!

4) Medium brightness - I want it much brighter than a supermarket 2C, but I certainly don't want 100 lumens.

5) Must take rechargable batteries.

6) Preferably good colour rendition.

That's it. Recommendations?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
SF g2 or g3 very bright and they are made out of a material that will not conduct electricity. there is even a led model that just came out. Not sure about rechargables

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Met my own requirement with bits I already had on hand.

Took a supermarket 2C, popped in 2 x 3AAA battery carriers filled with 1200mAh NiMHs, and a 6D MagStar Xenon bulb.

Job done.

(But that G2 looks rather nice though...)

Pistolero

Enlightened
Would a headlamp work in your situation?

Another thing that I've been curious about how well they perform is one of those Fiber optic doo-hickeys you slap on the front of the light. That way you have a nice little bendable light emitting probe that you can insert into dark spots.

wmirag

Enlightened
For elecrical work (including old radio's with HVDC), I use the Surefire G2 with an LED drop in.

There's no donut in my BOG LED and it is very white. Plus it runs 4 hours on the primaries I use. And it doesn't get too hot.

I believe the G2 can take rechargeables though I don't use them.

W.