Metal cutting laser...

pennhead

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks. 1st time poster... just joined today.

All this talk about lasers is very interesting. We've just recently started using laser metal cutting machines at work. The 1st one has been in operation for about 3 months or so, and the 2nd goes online next week.

These things are pretty awesome. They can cut through metal up to 25mm (1") thick, or they can etch metal to whatever depth needed. The cut appears no wider than a human hair, if even that. These are both Trumpf machines. I believe they are the TruLaser 5030 model.

http://www.trumpf.com/

The predominant thicknesses cut are .071" through .130", with .174" and .229" to a lesser degree, and the occasional 3/8" thick. The machines use a gas along with the laser. We use Hydrogen or CO2. They will run on shop air, but the cut edge will corrode almost immediately, so that is avoided.

The machine is accompanied by a liftmaster, which will load & unload sheets of steel automatically. The machine runs unattended, however there is always somebody there to take care of the occasional oddball part.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Welcome penhead, I'm sure you'll find plenty of applications for that sort of laser cutting around here. :)
Norm

pennhead

Newly Enlightened
Heh... true. I was merely telling folks who may not know just how powerful these things can really be, and some common ways they're being used in a manufacturing environment.

I've always thought lasers were cool (laser pointers, etc), and first witnessed one lighting a cigarette in the "Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder" feature-length video.

It wasn't until we began the planning & procurement of our first Trumpf that I became aware that this device even existed! Whoa! A common application for laser technology? Lasers enter the blue collar world... cool. I'd been ignorant of lasers for too long. We in engineering are now free to design just about any shape we want cut out of steel.

Mash

Enlightened
pennhead, you are one lucky man! I would love to have acces to something like that.
Maybe you can start doing some custom cutting work for CPF members on yours and machines spare time, it could be revarding and somewhat profitable!

blackz28

Newly Enlightened
Pennhead,

We also have a Trumpf and Mits laser here at work, boy that Trumpf is a fast machine. I program these machines at work, and I'm also a 3D cad engineer. I make all kinds of stuff for myself ;), (stuff for my motorcycle). Here's a lanyard ring that I made for my M6 a few years ago
fdf8a9c2.jpg