16670 (exact 2xCR123A size) Li-Ion cell?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does a 16670 Li-Ion (exact 2xCR123A size) exists? This would solve the problem with some flashlight that need to be bored so the 17670 would fit. It would probably have a slightly lower capacity than a 17670 but probably a greater Wh capacity than two RCR123A. What do you think?

Fast forward from 2007 to 2012, and lo and behold, I stumbled across a Sanyo 16670 li-ion cell, in Japan. At the moment it appears these specialized cells are available only in Japan or China, and apparently only in minimum orders of 100 or thereabouts, so it's not likely that we'll be seeing these offered for sale at North American battery merchants' websites any time soon.

Nevertheless, regardless of the application these cells are intended for, I want some.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Fast forward from 2007 to 2012, and lo and behold, I stumbled across a Sanyo 16670 li-ion cell, in Japan. At the moment it appears these specialized cells are available only in Japan or China, and apparently only in minimum orders of 100 or thereabouts, so it's not likely that we'll be seeing these offered for sale at North American battery merchants' websites any time soon.

Nevertheless, regardless of the application these cells are intended for, I want some.

I did test 16650 batteries.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also worth noting is the suppliers that say they have these and sell in bulk, do not have them. And the ones selling them individually are selling pre-production sample / reject cells from about 2 years ago. Some of the info in this thread may be helpful: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...iew-of-Intl-outdoor-Sanyo-16650-2100mAh-(Red)

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Scored some 16650s from an Acer notebook battery salvage. Best was about 2000ma, worst was 1800ma . These were orange wrapped w/ green tops.

Last edited:

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scored some 16650s from an Acer notebook battery salvage. Best was about 2000ma, worst was 1800ma . These were orange wrapped w/ green tops.

Yea let us know the battery pack model. And secondly thats kind of odd they are orange... I've only seen them with Red heatsrink. Lastly, your capacity tests were they done with a 4.2 or 4.3v charge voltage?

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Yea let us know the battery pack model. And secondly thats kind of odd they are orange... I've only seen them with Red heatsrink. Lastly, your capacity tests were they done with a 4.2 or 4.3v charge voltage?
Charged @ 4.2v. Sorry can't give you the model as the swarf was tossed in January. I have 4 to spare, anyone have something to trade?

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charged @ 4.2v. Sorry can't give you the model as the swarf was tossed in January. I have 4 to spare, anyone have something to trade?

doh! I've been dying to know what model laptop it came from. You can't ask someone and find out?

Secondly, you should probably post trade type stuff on CPFMP.

BobBarker

Newly Enlightened
While on the RCR123 compatible topic... Does anybody know if someone makes something like a 16500? for use in RCR123 lights with AA extenders? As far as i have found the 14500s and the RCR123s have about the same capacity (~750mh) so I don't really see a reason to use the longer 14500s if it doesn't really benefit you (unless I'm missing something... which I probably am).
-Bob

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
doh! I've been dying to know what model laptop it came from. You can't ask someone and find out?

Secondly, you should probably post trade type stuff on CPFMP.

Think they came from "Dumster Diving" a Best Buy recycle bin. I do remember it was an Acer pack and mfg date <2yrs. Unless I need a specific size/chemistry (lifepo4) or such, I don't buy ICR or IMR 18650s.

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is it that whenever people find OEM 17670 or 16650 or 14500, they never say where they found it? That's what pissed me off so much, I searched for several years, finally just gave in and had my surefire bored.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Iintl-outdoor have the sanyo red wrap 16650s, were those ever conclusively shown to be from a reject batch?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those look fairly old, but please do let us know how it goes! I was mainly talking about, say, "Oh, I found 6 of these in an HP H530x laptop" or something like that.

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened

I received them today, very well wrapped but not in the carrying case as they say here -> http://www.fasttech.com/product/1210700-as-is-sanyo-ur16650zt-1665017670-2100mah-37v-recha

As you can see the + side is a flat top...

The - side.

The lenght is much less thant two CR123A.

Here is the big problem... The + side does'nt contact with the head of my Quark Pro QP2L-X gen 2 flashlight.

The two half moon that you see each side of the center contact are higher than the center contact, then the Sanyo 16650 rest on the two half moon and the center of the cell ( the recessed + side ) does'nt contact with the center of the head. Which means that these 8 cells are useless for my Turbo X and my Quark Pro. I don't know how come few people in the forum say that they are using these in their Quarks because they can not use 18650 cells - it does'nt work for me. I lost 35.40$USD because I read in this forum that this a good choice for Quark's Flashlights. If somebody around Montreal wants them they are for sale at 30$ ( 6 cells are still wrapped ). Thank you for any input to help me :-(

Last edited: