• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Help needed.

Russki

Enlightened
Hello CPFers.
Can someone help me here?
I am building A19 light, using 18650 Lithium-ion battery.
I want drive it on 1A.
Which board from SShop would be best GD or Nexgen?
What is advantage of Nexgen (since it more expensive)?
I am little confused in description.
Help really appreciated.
Thanks guys.:)

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Russki,

Since none of the experts are responding, I'll take a crack at this one. Either board will do what you ask and do it well. The NG has the additional ability with a resister mod to offer less than 1a if you desired. However the DB has the ability to run 2 x RCR123 in the future if you desired where the NG can't.

Choose your possible future benefit.

Ken

Russki

Enlightened
Thanks Ken.
Appreciate you help.
I particularly interested in GD Buck/Boost Converter.
Can you confirm that it can handle 2 x RCR 123.
SS states max Vin: 5.4
Thanks
Igor :)

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I built an LE last weekend with a NG750 and a USV0H Seoul, and it couldn't take an 18650 - the LED shifted blue after being on for about 30 seconds. The only battery that worked for it was a primary 123 battery. :)
john

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built an LE last weekend with a NG750 and a USV0H Seoul, and it couldn't take an 18650 - the LED shifted blue after being on for about 30 seconds. The only battery that worked for it was a primary 123 battery. :)
john

It is not the 18650 cell that is causing the problem. It sounds like you don't have the LED sinked well enough, or have poor thermal transfer. Is your thermal epoxy too thick? Is it possible that you have a void under the LED?

I have a few lights that run a Seoul LED at 850mA, or greater without any problems. My 3-D Mag has a Seoul at 1.2A on high. I run these lights for at least 40 minutes while walking at night, and do not have any shift in the tint.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not the 18650 cell that is causing the problem. It sounds like you don't have the LED sinked well enough, or have poor thermal transfer. Is your thermal epoxy too thick? Is it possible that you have a void under the LED?

I have a few lights that run a Seoul LED at 850mA, or greater without any problems. My 3-D Mag has a Seoul at 1.2A on high. I run these lights for at least 40 minutes while walking at night, and do not have any shift in the tint.

But at 1.2 amps there is a HUGE difference with all the metal in a big old Mag dealing with the heat compared to a little Aleph light. I don`t know that John ever checked that emitters vf but it could have been very low and driving the LED harder than your Mags 1.2 amps as well.

Ken

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
But at 1.2 amps there is a HUGE difference with all the metal in a big old Mag dealing with the heat compared to a little Aleph light. I don`t know that John ever checked that emitters vf but it could have been very low and driving the LED harder than your Mags 1.2 amps as well.

I haven't checked it yet... I'm still sitting on a broken DMM! :shakehead

john

Russki

Enlightened
I have same problem.
I build GD 917 LE.:twothumbs
Seoul was going blue for few seconds and when board die.:sigh: :sick: :mad:
I don't now what happen.:thinking:
Anyway, I use another GD 660 to finish this project, and it works good.:twothumbs
Aleph 3 with Mirage_Man 18650 one of kind battery tube.
DSC_0248.jpg

And I still don't know which is better GD or Nexgen.
Master McGizmo use GD in his lights (It must be the best)
So I guess I stick with GD.
Thanks guys.

john

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nexgen is the best for primary Cell applications (CR123). GD is the better choice for dual technology (primary and rechargeble) and of course there's the buck only option if you want to mimick standard incan with less light with lower battery voltage.

Wayne