Laser Dazzler

J

Jason2TheHilt

I am not sure if I am in the right area for this..
But I am looking for a Laser Dazzler, Optic disruptor, neural scrambler.. Etc that the military and security firms are using as a non-lethal deterrent.. Have some friends transferring overseas and figured you guys were the people to ask.. Can be used.. even abused.. as long as it works.. (also hoping for a reasonable price) Thanks
Jason

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The strobe function of Megaray will completely disorient a person.

The laser dazzler is much more effective than Megaray or Maxabeam on strobe: The strobe on these short-arc's is not completely on-off, short-arc is not allowed to lose the arc in the process, so Megaray and MB strobe is a quick switching between low and high settings.

The laser in the dazzler has a completely on-off cycle, and with the higher surface brightness, it's even more dazzling !!

Regards,

Ra.

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, but why does the device have to be so big? If it's really not doing damage to my eyes, I'd love to try it out - I want to see for myself how effective it is.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, but why does the device have to be so big? If it's really not doing damage to my eyes, I'd love to try it out - I want to see for myself how effective it is.

It's big because of the frontlens: The laser itself produces a beam diameter of approx 2mm, definitely causing eyedamage at close range! And much more difikult to aim at eyes.
The lens converts the beam to a much wider, lower surface-brightness beam: Better aiming possible and hamless to eyes.

And bernhard: What's a "Lasers:hahaha:Foum"

Regards,

Ra.

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
I don't have experience with lasers. Do you think one could turn a Docter Aspherilux into a dazzler for SD? The requirements for a citizen are different than those of the police. I don't need to dazzle someone 100m away. The range for SD should be around 0-5m. The Aspherilux mini 100 for example has a switch like a trigger and the form is good for easy aiming.

Aseras

Enlightened
The photonic disruptor is NOT a dazzler. it's a overpriced focusadjustable laser.

a TRUE laser Dazzler has pulsed operation from 2-10hertz. the pulsed operation is the same as human brainwaves and that causes the distrotion and nausea. While the laser itself is good for producing flash blindness, a TRUE DAZZLER's power is in the incapicitation effect of the pulsed operation.

lazerlover

Newly Enlightened

Aseras

Enlightened
Hi sorry i didn't see your reply.

A true dazzler, at least as far as contract and DOD reqs etc, to be approved for use must be eye safe from the aperture to target. That means it needs a HUGE aperture, and the beam needs to be anywhere from 3-6 inches wide depending on the output in mw right from the aperture. This is the biggest fault against the disruptor. It has to be able to comply with ANSI z136 standards. The pulsing is there for two reasons, first to limit overall exposure and allow for the least risk of eye damage possible while still providing maximum effect. Our eyes are slow so anything that flashes faster than 5 times a second will be seen as a continuous output. The brightness apeears the same, however the light entering the eye can be reduced by orders of magnitude. Secondly it is targeted between beta and delta wave brain frequencies to disorient and cause rapid nausea. It's the same wavelength that has been known to cause seizures and other physiological effects, but that's an acceptable risk to prevent lethal force and provide for a deterrent and enforcement action.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Sorry for splitting hairs, but:

1) The human optical system has a flicker threshhold of roughly 25Hz, not 5 Hz

2) Brain Wave activity:
Delta: 0,5-3,5 Hz
Theta: 4-7,5 Hz
Alpha: 8-13 Hz
Beta: 13,5+ Hz
There isn't one speific frequency that is known to cause seizures, this differs between individuals and it usually doesn't work at all, or else we would all be epileptic given our flashy environment.
Not to mock you, but your argument sounds a bit like a flashback of the "Alpha-Cult" in the middle of the last century :D

bernhard

Aseras

Enlightened
TV's are 60-100htz, so you only get epileptic activity with certain type of flashing pattern or animation. Any repetive flashing between 2 and 50htz can cause seizure activity in those suceptible to it.

The big catch with dazzlers is they they are whole field of vision interruptors, not just a small portion on a tv or something. So when you flash in the 2-10 hertz range for brainwaves it really messes most people up. Not only are the lasers bright but everything around you is pulsating, so even if you aren't looking into the beam, but the diffuse reflection of of the ground walls or whatever, it really messes with your head. Most of these are so bright that even if you close your eyes it still messes with your perceptions. It's FAR FAR more effective and disorienting than just a constant illumination source.

I'm not saying these are intended to cause a seizure, I'm just using that as an example that there is a physiological mechanism to the flashing/pulsed operation.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I would not connect the disruption caused by a dazzler to brainwave cerebral activity. Brainwaves (speaking of base activity) aren't even really understood and we are unable to mess with those anyway. So ... you don't flash for brainwaves, but you flash to disrupt the subject's senses and orientation.

There is indeed some physiological reaction to be seen in a certain number of subjects when flashed with certain frequencies. It is called "photic driving" and is an adaption of the brain wave base rhythm to the flashes. There is no other effect though.
You can trigger seizures, but that is pathological, and the resulting brain wave patterns are pathological, too, mostly spike/wave activity for most types of photosensitive epilepsy.

bernhard

jhosaki

Newly Enlightened
Regardless of the technical aspects, telling people that "this is a laser to shine in people's eyes" is incredibly irresponsible. This device is being sold explicitly for the purposes of shining in people's eyes and the sale is not restricted to military or law enforecement, they will sell to anyone. The line about selling only to governement unless you order under 10 units is rediculous and meaningless. Anybody can now buy a laser which is marketed as a device to shine in people's eyes, and it's only a matter of time before a person who buys one of these things damages somebody's eyes and goes to jail. This is bad for the whole laser industry, and it's irresponsible to even suggest purchasing this item for its stated purpose. DON'T SHINE LASERS IN PEOPLE'S EYES!

KrisP

Enlightened
Regardless of the technical aspects, telling people that "this is a laser to shine in people's eyes" is incredibly irresponsible. This device is being sold explicitly for the purposes of shining in people's eyes and the sale is not restricted to military or law enforecement, they will sell to anyone. The line about selling only to governement unless you order under 10 units is rediculous and meaningless. Anybody can now buy a laser which is marketed as a device to shine in people's eyes, and it's only a matter of time before a person who buys one of these things damages somebody's eyes and goes to jail. This is bad for the whole laser industry, and it's irresponsible to even suggest purchasing this item for its stated purpose. DON'T SHINE LASERS IN PEOPLE'S EYES!
Doesn't it explain that with such a wide beam the intensity is so low it can't cause permanent damage?

lazerlover

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

Justin is part of Laserglow, and its understandable how laser companies these days will say anything about each other to get ahead. I wouldn't put much weight into anything said unless its from an unbiased expert opinion.

I do see something at Laserglow that seems to be contradicting what they are doing themselves, Novalasers is their new name for selling high powered illegal laser pointers, but on Laserglow, they still say that high powered laser pointers are all weak powered, and there is a picture of them in the garbage can. I think now that Wicked Lasers has moved on to their own manufactured product, and Nova Lasers has started selling what they used to, you could probably take this page down now, its only saying that your Nova branch is selling crap lasers.

http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?considering