Old Maglite Observation's

Deep6Osama

Enlightened
Anyone ever notice the difference in the old Maglite's compared to the new? I have several old C cells and noticed the switch is threaded into the body. If the allen screw is loosened the switch will not drop out. There is a small spring that contacts the center of the bulb it is about 3/32 in diameter. The bulb slides up and down in what appears to be a bakelite sleeve and a metal part of the switch that threads into the body. I purchased the three that I have in the late 80's. They have no C in the serial number.

I have a new C Cell Maglite which has a Maglite logo on the switch cover.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if it's true for the C size, but on the D size that screw in portion is just a retaining ring. Once it's out the switch will slide out the top end of the barrel. And the little spring you see is just a narrowed down part of a larger spring. On the old D switches, when I was having contact problems due to a weakened "pointy" spring, I've replaced it with the bulb post and spring from a newer light and it worked fine.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new C Cell Maglite which has a Maglite logo on the switch cover.

Do you notice any difference in the feel (while switching) of the newer switch compared to the old ones ?

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
another difference..

The older 'C' maglites have the 'O' ring in the head, the newer style has the 'O' ring on the body.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
really old ones had larger ID's on the D body. For paper wrapped standard cells before alkalines became the standard. My 4D and 2D from 86 only swap reflectors, lenses and front bezels with newer ones.

The C change is relatively new. I bought two at Home Depot last year that had the forward retaining screw in collar. I think the neo-pagan symbol on the switch boot is the external marker that it is a new style. The puma or ram or hyper-cephalic chicken or whatever critter that is :whistle:

Flashlight King has parts for both styles.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's what that thing is on the switch cover. thought it was defect in the mold.

Older mags have larger intenal diameter someone already mentioned. older D's 4AAp fit nicely.

Deep6Osama

Enlightened
that's what that thing is on the switch cover. thought it was defect in the mold.

Older mags have larger intenal diameter someone already mentioned. older D's 4AAp fit nicely.

Same here. I thoght it was a poor mold as well. They say the eyes are the first to go!