L1 Vs L4

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read some good posts about both of these LED lights. Beyond the obvious listed specs., can someone who has ( or has had ) the latest version of both give me some insight. I can't decide which to go for. Both are small enough, and rugged enough for an EDC for me. How about brightness / spill / throw differences between the two?

Thanks CPF'rs

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you should ask.

I compared the two the other day. The L4 puts out a TON of light. It's a great floodlight. Beam color is not anywhere near as good as the L1. The L1 has a smoother, whiter, tighter beam. The L4 is sort of cool with a donut hole. The L4 puts out more total light. The L1 controls it somewhat better. They both have their place.

I'd love to see a Cree L4!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I wish someone had pictures of both in the same scene. Maybe I should wait for the L4 Cree?

ja10

Enlightened
They are two totally different lights. Narrow beam vs. huge food. 1 cell vs. 2 cell. Large hotspot vs. wall of light.

I don't know if I would call the L1 Cree a "narrow beam". The older L1 was definitely narrow, but I would describe the new one as a good balance between flood and throw.

Here is a link where someone took pictures of both the L4 and L1 in the same setting - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176090

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I don't know if I would call the L1 Cree a "narrow beam". The older L1 was definitely narrow, but I would describe the new one as a good balance between flood and throw.

Here is a link where someone took pictures of both the L4 and L1 in the same setting - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176090

We can agree to disagree. I consider it to be narrow, although broader than it's predecessor, but narrow nevertheless.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, an ideal light that would implement the unique characteristics of the L4 and L1 would be a cree Q5 with the ability to focus the beam from spot to flood. Giving the best of both worlds!

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Also, the L1 is a two stage light..low and high. That's a very useful feature in certain situations.

The L1 would probably be best to buy first for a thrower with decent spill!

Then get your L4 for the famous "wall of light". By the way, my L4 has a nice white beam....:)