opinions of this laser

SHREFLER

Newly Enlightened
anyone know anything about thinkgeek's green lasers??
IR filters??
quality??
and are they modifiable easily??

links:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5a47/

thanks for any help

also: what's the lowest power (mW) that is able to produce heat (i.e. light a match)

Last edited:

pyrokid3

Newly Enlightened
I don't know anything about that company, but that seems way too expensive for what it is. I don't think it would be worth buying...

From what I hear you need at lest 30 mw with a lens to light a match. You can use lower mw lasers to light a match, but you need better lenses and more patience....

Something like this would be a better buy http://www.lasercommunity.com/shop.php or you could always go with a cheap dealextreme laser

Last edited:

flare02

Newly Enlightened
I agree. Go with that 5mw core laser from Wicked Lasers...

I've heard some nasty rumors about this company but only heard good things about this particular product. Its cheap, has an ir filter, what else do you want?

SHREFLER

Newly Enlightened
so that link to lasercommunity for the $40 leadlight 5mw would be a good bet?? and is it modifiiable the ways i've read on the site???

thanks

or i just spotted the core from wicked laser as you pointed out, worth ten extra dollars?? and is that one easily modified?

thanks

Last edited:

pyrokid3

Newly Enlightened
so that link to lasercommunity for the $40 leadlight 5mw would be a good bet?? and is it modifiiable the ways i've read on the site???

thanks

or i just spotted the core from wicked laser as you pointed out, worth ten extra dollars?? and is that one easily modified?

thanks

How do you want to modify it?

SHREFLER

Newly Enlightened
i'd like to modify it up to anywhere from 15-30 or higher if possible, so which one will be my best bet??

pyrokid3

Newly Enlightened
I personally have no experience with modifying lasers myself, but from what I hear the Leadlight if fairly easy to modify. That is one of the reason it is popular. A good resource on buying laser pointers is

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122684.

If you scroll down they have the Leadlight under the pointers section. They say it is easy to modify.

Athoul

Enlightened
Personally...and I don't mean to discourage you from modding... but if you have no experience with it then I'd suggest you purchase one at the output you want. Leadlights do make for good lasers to mod, but there's a very high chance that the first one you try to mod will end with frustration.

Now I'm all for learning and experimenting and would say go for it as long as you are aware of the risk and do not mind the potential loss of 30-40 dollars.

If you want a 15-30mW laser there's a few places that have those output models for under $100.

SHREFLER

Newly Enlightened
yeah, i don't mind blowing a few bucks if i must, so which should i go with the wicked or the leadlight??

Athoul

Enlightened
Both can be modded and both are good lasers, I guess which ever is cheaper is probably the way to go. A leadlight 105 does not have an APC which makes modding a bit easier, you might want to consider that as well.

Athoul

Enlightened
APC or "automatic power control" is used to alter the current to the lasers pump diode in order to maintain as close to 5mW as possible without going over. In models that contain this feature, you will have to disable it in order to achieve a stable output higher then 5mW. Not a overly big deal, but more work at any rate.