My first Surefire

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
My trusty Nightcutter p20 has been serving on my belt for a couple years or so, and has developed a crack in the lens, as well as many scratches and knicks. It has performed flawlessly, but I figured it was time for a new light, so while I was at Cabella's, I checked out their line up of Surefire lights.

I decided on the G2 in black, but wanted an LED for longer battery life as well as the extra durability, so I opted for the KL3 head for it. While I was there, I picked up a spare battery carrier, and a dozen 123's.

I got it home and started to play with it, but I really must say I was disappointed a little bit. It seems well built enough, but the switch seems way too easy to turn. It made it feel so loose that it wouldn't seem to be very water resistant at that section. Also you have to really unscrew the tailcap quite a bit to get it to lock out so it won't accidentally turn on. So much so that it really felt loose. I was rather unconfortable with that. It felt like it could easily come off without much more turning.

It seemed plenty bright, just as I had hoped and expected. Then I switched over to the KL3 head. It makes it a bit more bulky than I really prefer. It would be a bit too noticable on my belt. I turned it on, and was a little underwhelmed by the output. It was nice and white, but not as bright as I had hoped. I pulled out my Inova T3 for comparison, and the Inova was noticably brighter, and that was with batteries that had some life already drained from use!

So while I think the G2 is durable, bright (incandescent) and priced right, I just don't feel it will satisfy me. The whole tailcap issue is the big thing. I think I'm going to return it, and maybe look at some of Inova lights to replace my Nightcutter. I'm glad I got the spares carrier and dozen batteries though.

I'm sure I'll eventually get a Surefire. Just maybe something with a standard clickie switch. Anyone else have thes issues with the G2?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe G2 is a lock out cap. The 6p aluminum light I believe does. I have both the E2E and the G2. My G2 will not lock out, but my E2e will.

You also said the head made your light somewhat akward or heavy ( can't remember your exact complaint ). You may want to take the head back and just purchase a G2/6P drop in module. I recently picked up Bugoutgear Q5 drop in module ($49) for my G2 and this has become my favorite light. Very Bright. At least 200 lumens. Some what heavier but I'm sure no were near the K head wieght.

Good Luck.

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
Don't give up yet... Surefire's are great, and the G2 is made to market to those who won't pay for a 6P (which is a considerable step up).

I've seen the issue with the tailcap you mention... we have a demo light at work that is like that... my personal G2 doesn't seem to be like that... I just re-tried it, and I was able to make about 1/2 a twist to go constant on, or 1/2 a twist back to lockout.

I think there may have been a different switch setup on earlier G2's and it's highly possible a place like Cabelas could still have one around

I've never used a KL3 LED head, so I don't know... but my personal G2 was purchased as the G2-LED and its great... the LED upgrade module (P60L) was rumored to be released by Surefire this month sometime to allow the upgrade of existing lights... if you want LED, I'd suggest either getting the module when it becomes available, or for a better price, return that one for the G2L, and buy a P60 Lamp for if you want to run it incandescent at times.

The P60L seems to perform at least for me, almost identically to the P60 Lamp.

BTW, I just looked up the KL3 it's only supposed to make 19lumens of light according to the SF website, where the p60L is something more like 80 lumens... big difference. The KL3 is more of a utility head where the new P60L is made to be more of a direct replacement for the P60 with better runtime.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Big_Ed,

You should return the G2 and KL3 head and for $65 dollars get the newer G2 LED. It's extremely bright, will last 2 hours @ 80 lumens, and from what I can tell from your post it's the kind of light you'd want (an LED Surefire G2 w/ kick@$$ output).

It's way better than the 19 lumens offered by the KL3.:thumbsdow

Good luck,

Dudemar

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
Im sorry about your experiences with your first Surefire. I have a incan g2 and a 6PL (LED) and love them both.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like the G2 LED might be a beter way to go, and cheaper than the set up I just bought. Maybe I can add a clickie switch as well to make it even better.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's G2 was the last of it's flashlight range to be converted to a LockOut TailCap.
If the TailCap can be unscrewed past a point beyond which it is not possible to activate the light no matter how hard you press the push button pressure switch then it has been disabled or "Locked Out"

There are plenty of things you can do starting with a G2 as the base.
Different TailCaps, different bezels, different lamps etc.

You may be able to find an o-ring that is slightly thicker so that your G2 TailCap is more difficult to rotate. Or you may like to call SureFire and see whether they can help you find a solution.

One solution could be to return the G2 and get a G2L instead.

Al

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so I just got back from Cabella's. I returned the G2 and KL3 head. I was looking at the display of Surefire lights, and decided to play with a L4 Digital Lumamax. I was instantly blown away. This was by far the brightest LED light I've ever used. I hummed and hawwed, and compared it to my Nightcutter. It was about the same size and it would fit in the same old Mag holster I have been using. It has the clickie switch I like as well as a belt clip that will come in handy, I think. So, I decided that I'd go ahead and spend the extra money and buy myself the L4 as an early Christmas gift.

The L4 seems like a really great light. I was a bit nervous at spending so much money on a light, but I feel I'll be satisfied with the performance and durability.

Does anyone know of a good belt holster for this light? Since I spent so much money on it, I want it to be well protected. I'd like something like a Leatherman multi-tool type of holster. One that's leather, has a cover that snaps shut, and such. Any suggestions?

Mad1

Enlightened
The G2 is my favorite Surefire and Ive got an M3T an L1 (milky modded but ive had a vanilla) E1L and i had an E2E.

Out of the lot the G2 is great for its size plastic so good in cold weather and its lite weight.

If you want to make the tail cap more secure there is room for a second o-ring.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Big_Ed,
Congratulations on getting yourself an L4!

I personally consider tools (including the L4) to have more character once they have been through some 'use and abuse' - bit like a well-thumbed book that you keep going back to read again and again...

Anyway, it's natural for you to want to protect your new investment from harm, and for some a holster or pouch is a more ideal carry solution for them.
However, have you considered carrying your L4 clipped inside your pants/trousers/combats etc pocket?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would carry it in my pocket, but there's really too much in there to begin with. My right front pocket has my tri-fold wallet, and my left front pocket has two sets of keys, and when at work, I also have a utility knife and a black permanent marker in there. Even if I didn't have the knife and marker in there, I wouldn't want the flashlight banging around in my pocket or getting constantly struck by my keys.

I currently carry my Nightcutter on my belt on my left side, and I'm used to it. I'd like to have a holster that would allow me to continue to carry it there, while protecting the lens (that's why I'd like one that snaps shut). I find in easy to tell that my light is still there without getting in the way too much, as well as being very easy to quickly pull out for use.

Maybe Nite-Ize has something that would work, even if it's not leather and uses velcro to keep it closed.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's important to find yourself a carry method that works for you.
Please let us know once you've found an appropriate pouch for your L4

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the V82 nylon holster?. It uses velcro which also secures the light and can be dismantled without removal of belt. Another way is using the lanyard round the neck. I had an previous version L1 and it was around the neck..

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice. The L4 is a great light. Many people swear by their L4. Glad your venture here helped you.

ENJOY!:thumbsup:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I found a holster at a local hardware store. It's made by Maglite, but I've never seen one like this from Mag before. It's designed to hold a Mag 2AA, but it has a flap that closes over the head of the light and is held shut by velcro. Unfortunately, it's a bit more flimsy than the standard holsters that usually come with the MiniMag. I'm not sure how well it will hold up, but I'll soon find out.

BTW, I was looking for a holster today at my local Lowes home improvement store, and I see they are now selling the Surefire G2 LED, and the 6P LED lights! Man, there must be some kind of conspiracy by the stores in my area to get me hooked on Surefires!

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Great choice with the L4 Ed!! It is my favorite Surefire to date and I am NEVER without it. And as for the G2, I have never had a problem with any of mine, all solid and well built. But I f I were you I would be glad that the G2 was'nt the light for you, It led you to one of the best LED lights ever created. Good luck and Merry Surefire Christmas!!
:santa: -Evan