Mag D Mods

wildfire305

Newly Enlightened
Is there already a post with the D sized mag mods all linked? I've got a 3D everled'd maglite, and I think it's time to make it brighter. First i want to know how bright i can get it with the stock parts(reflector, lens, switch) without melting them. Second I want to know what mods are out there using standard D batteries or 4AA to D or 8AA to D adapters.

wildfire305

Newly Enlightened
Oh I just thought of something else - would anyone know how much brighter that EverLED bulb would be with 6 cells instead of 3?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock plastic parts can take about 10-15W of heat, which means about a 15-20W incan at most. You'd need a lot of LEDs to get that much heat.

If you want to use standard (alk) D cells, you'll be pretty much limited to an LED with a driver of some sort. Your options greatly increase if you're willing to swap some plastic parts and use AA NiMHs.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Finding one of the newer type Maglite Magnum Star Xenon bulbs may be an interesting $4 upgrade to try out. As for other incandescent bulb sfor stock Maglite with 3D Ni-Mh cells... hmmm... low volatge... not many options :thumbsdow

However, if you currently have one of the older EverLED's (Luxeon) then going to an upgrade with newer SSC Cree based die LED will be quite an increase. Trouble is, there are only 2 good Mag upgrades I know of... the Malkoff Devices one that costs $70+ and is always in a state of being "sold out"... or that TerraLux 6EX / 6EXB for $24.95.

Or do it yourself mega bright mods :popcorn:

With your existing Ni-Mh D's you could tap in and draw a lot of current... all kinds of things possible...

SafetyBob

Enlightened
I've been in your place or actually, in the same place. In my opinion here are your two best realistic options.

Option 1: Single Led you put in. Probably the easiest thing is gettting one of the premade aluminum heatsinks that all you have to do is epoxy a led on top of, wire it in with a.) 500mA powerpuck from www.theledlight.com (others offer it too), b.) plain old resistor (read around here, can't remember who has a really nice tutorial on it) c.) converter board (recommend www.taskled.com , mainly because you can email the guy who designs the boards (George) and ask very specific questions (battery setup, ect) and he can tell you if this or that works).

Option 2. Malkoff Drop-in. Hold on before you say they aren't available. Starting Dec 10th there may be a significant amount of them available within a week. Email Gene through www.malkoffdevices.com and have him give you an idea when some can be expected.

My two cents: I am relatively a noob around here too. I waited for a full month actively trying to get a Malkoff drop-in, it was worth the wait. Top quality product and about as easy to install as changing the original bulb in the M@g. I would suggest for now not using the 6xAA or 9xAA setup...it brings about options that will take a month to figure out (been there done that).

If you build your own (and I encourge you to do so too), be prepared to order this and order that and it could be a month or two waiting for stuff to come from HongKong and other parts of the world. I am at two and all my stuff isn't here yet. There are places you can get stuff from the states, but generally the fine people here that have made stuff available from ideas they have invented themselves, trying to make flashlights better, are not as a rule full time flashlight parts makers, they have real jobs that unfortunately keep them from full time flashlights, much like me.

I strongly recommend if you can get a Malkoff drop-in do, if nothing else as a piece of engineering for you to meet but probably not exceed....it's that nice. So look for a heatsink, emitter, some artic allumina epoxy and some sort of device to regulate current (resister, puck, or board.....the puck and resistor should be very, very easy and straight forward) and get your order in and if your lucky everything will arrive at the same time so you can druel over Malkoff's drop-in while you make your own.

Good luck, and post pictures. We all like to see what anyone is doing....no matter how simple or complex.

Bob E.

wildfire305

Newly Enlightened
Looks like i'll be doing some researching. I like to make things - I've got a solder station and multimeter and a pipe wrench, what more could i need :)
I learn best by seeing things. Any links that could be provided that show pictures of mods like what your talking about would be appreciated. I've seen all the parts you're describing at the sandwich shoppe.
Would i be better off just spending money on a brighter fenix light?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depend on waht you want for your next light.

If just output and size is a concern. Then get a Fenix, smaller then a Minimag and brighter then the 6D, but less throw then the 3D.

Here is a relatively simple mod if you already have a MagLED drop-in.

some Mods:
2D micropuck Seoul
2D 4 Seoul Shark
ROP mod(2D-6D)
Quad LED mod(I would replace the resistor with a/a few suitable driver, more efficient)
3C Cree mod(also works with a Seoul, I would also use a suitable driver for efficiency)
Quad Cree mod
Crowned Cyclops(follow up)

Last edited:

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
CPF member 3rd_shift also has some useful mag-mod tutorials in this section of the forum if you decide you want to go the DIY route.
Edit: Ooops, I see Gunner12 already has them listed.

Last edited:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Wildfire305, study those mods listed above. Most of them are very straight forward. I am gathering the stuff to do most of them as we speak. Sounds like you are just about ready. Oh, unless you have really good eyesight, I might recommend getting a good magnifying glass on a stand. When soldering these emitters, you are going to need it, and good light to.

Let me add one other thing. If you can swing it, by all means get one of the Fenix lights. They are cool, bright and small little lights that should motivate you to start building something of your own. Start with the single Cree or Seoul mod to a M@g. I am just about ready to get out on the lathe and start turning metal because I am waiting and waiting for my really nice heatsinks coming in the mail from HongKong....worth the wait, but I may do my best to hack one out of some aluminum.

Again, good luck and keep us informed on what you decide.

Bob E.

hoffner5

Newly Enlightened
Looks like i'll be doing some researching. I like to make things - I've got a solder station and multimeter and a pipe wrench, what more could i need :)

The pipe wrench is for bashing failed efforts into itty bitty pieces, right? At least, that's what I use mine for.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
I am waiting and waiting for my really nice heatsinks coming in the mail from HongKong....
Bob E.

Bob:

where in hongkong (whom) are you getting the heatsink from, so far I know h22a is sending from thailand, download from (i think) singapore, and litemania from korea, wouldn't mind to have another source for heatsinks.

thanks

david.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Horizonseeker, I am sorry my heatsinks are coming from H22A and I forgot exactly where he was.

If everyone could agree on one or two standard types, we could no doubt have some professionally made hopefully for a reasonable dollar amount here in the states. Saturday evening it took me less than 30 minutes on a manual lathe to copy cat what the standard C sized heatsink is out there. But if you don't have one or a nieghbor who has one, then you are waiting for stuff in the mail (like me).

At one point I sure felt like bringing out the pipe wrench for adjustments!!

Bob E.

arbiker501

Newly Enlightened
Great thread. Newbi here. But have my first rop up and running and of course more stuff on the way .. What a addiction.