6 volt lantern buildup

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
you don't hear very much usually about building up one of these.
what options do i have.
i'd like the highest amperage i can get.

how do these batteries fare for runtime?
they're huge so they must be good right?
they seem pretty cheap, but most of them aren't even alkaline right?

i guess i should look for a 3 cell bulb to put in there since it's a 6 volt, i'll want to overdrive it a little bit. maybe i'll use the right bulb for 10 min or so, then overdrive it so it doesn't insta-flash.

anyone know what kind of bulb i should use in one of these?
also how big of a deal is it that most are not alkalines?
because of their size, would the typical heavy duty lantern battery still be as good as 4 d alkalines?
there's no replacement for displacement right!

how is the runtime usually on a light like this with the bulb that comes with it?
lots of questions i know, someone get me started!

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I tried modding my Rayovac 6V lantern. The best that I can do right now is putting a mag 3 cell bulb. Big improvment, whiter shade of light. But, the beam pattern is disappointing, good throw but lots of rings. So the best way is to diffuse it. I also made one with a mag led drop in, pretty good but it belongs to another thread.

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
For my experimental lanterns, I used the 3AA-D series adaptors since I have 4D lanterns and used XPR14 bulbs, 14.4V and 0.7A. I'd have to say it's fairly bright. But I can't lie, it's a hassle getting 12 AA batteries in and out of the adaptors for recharging, thankfully we have Eneloops to keep that to a minimum. Oh, btw, those 6v heavy duty cells aren't as good as D alkalines, and they're not even half the capacity of Energizer 6v alkalines.

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
good tip, do you have the specs on that bulb you're talking about
voltage, amps, total watts, and lumens
so i can compare it to my carley options.
thanks,
jason

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded my 6V lantern with a SMJLED made for 2cells (the SMJ with boost)

then modded the 6D carrier to run 2P2S. The light has extremely long run time.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you plan on using alkaline lantern batteries, your "highest amperage" will be limited. If you switch to a SLA battery, your choice of lamps will expand because the SLAs can deliver more power and they're available in different voltages and form factors.

I sorta wonder if it'd be better to build an LED lantern, since an incan wouldn't be as thrifty on power, and would be better for "throw" usage than an LED. With a lantern, heatsinking weight might not be an issue, so you can build it from hardware store aluminum and let your designs go wild.

Illum

Flashaholic
I tried modding my Rayovac 6V lantern. The best that I can do right now is putting a mag 3 cell bulb. Big improvment, whiter shade of light. But, the beam pattern is disappointing, good throw but lots of rings. So the best way is to diffuse it. I also made one with a mag led drop in, pretty good but it belongs to another thread.

someone here made a retaining ring with 6 holes on it, bought cheap cree dropins and soldered everything in parallel after mounting each individual module on the ring...fairly good idea IMO

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
If you were talking to me, the bulbs I used with 12AA's in series were XPR14. They are xenon PR-based, 14.4V and 0.7A, comes out to 10W. Have no idea about lumens, but I'd guess at least 200 ballpark. Can get about 2.5 hr runtime on Rayovac hybrids. As a bonus, you could use alkalines in a pinch, as it's not a real heavy load. I wouldn't want more powerful, would probably melt the reflector or lens. I bought 10, I can spare some for what I paid if you want them, just PM me.

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened

How did you make the difusser?
I've used palm protective screen covers for mags but the 6v lantern is a little bigger.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
FWIW.... I took apart some lantern batteries once.

Eveready, gray label. It was leaking acid all over the place so this is as far as I dared to go with the disection. Some generic looking industrial D sized cells.

Duracell #1
generic looking OEM cells

Duracell #2
ProCells

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW.... I took apart some lantern batteries once.

Weird! The "Procell" is Duracell's product for OEs... I guess they "OE" it to themselves too hahaha. (Actually, they probably OE it to the company that manufactures the lantern battery for them.) At zbattery.com you can buy D Procells for $54 in a 72 pack; about $1.33/ea, doesn't seem like a great deal...

bones_708

Enlightened
You also could throw in a halogen bulb that will give you a little more output if you don't mind the yellow tint. Radio Shack has one HR52 I think. If you get a good 6v then it's better than 4d batteries. Unfortunately it's getting harder to find the good ones any more. Try a sla battery thats made to fit with no mods for good output and rechargeability.

bones_708

Enlightened