• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLux 27LT lost low

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Thanks to a very kind and generous CPFer, ksbman, I have received my very first McLux on Saturday.

I didn't think I would like it as much because it was a twistie. I found it was really easy to use and much brighter then I expected. But yesterday, I ran into a problem, it lost low mode.

High works fine but there is no low mode. I've cleaned the contacts and tried new batteries but that didn't fix anything.

Any recommendations on how to fix this?

ibcj

Enlightened
Is the kilroy adjusted properly ? The kilroy is the small bent piece on the back of the converter. If it is pushed down too far (so that it is flush with the retaining ring) then you won't get low. You may want to do a search in this forum for kilroy, as others have taken pictures and provided better explanations than I can do.

My 27 LT will only provide one mode when the batteries are low, but that is the low mode. Sometimes tough to tell the difference between high & low with the 27LT though.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The contact point of the kilroy is 0.5mm higher then the retaining ring. Is that sufficient distance?

I don't know what happened but this is what my experience was:

Open up the light, take out battery, measure voltage(About 2.9 each, 2 Surefire CR123 batteries), place battery back, place piston back into light, twist, no low. Low was working fine before I took the batteries out.

Sometimes when I tighten the head, the light would flash and go off, that also happened before the low mode was lost.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If Kilroy wasn't making contact, you would have no light at all. I would first guess that the contact ring is somehow making a ground connection before it comes in contact with the lip of the battery sleeve. Perhaps something between the contact ring and the rear lip of the head is providing such a path?

It is conceivable that the DBx2 converter has died but that would be uncommon and it seems to me that only a few of these DBx2's have failed and most were related to use with 2xRCR123 powering.

The ocassional flash you see when tighten the head sounds odd but if this is before the head is in operational position then it may be kilroy contacting the threads on the way "down".

I can't guess at the problem here but if all else fails, you can send the light to me so I can take a peek at it. :shrug:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I just tried taping over the Kilroy and now the light only gives me low and not high.

I also took a look at the driver. The coil of copper has broken off it's post. I don't think it was me who broke that because the only real test I put on the light was taking it swimming(which it passed with flying colors).

The flash sometimes happens when I tighten the head too fast when it is within operation position.

I'll see if I can get a picture up sometime tomorrow or the day after.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the inductor fell off, it could be picking up interference from being too close to a large metal piece (the body) or a high frequency component. I would just send it to Mcy G, he'll fix er up right.

AlecGold

Enlightened
Good to year you started to like the twisty! I've got a mcluxiii-T myself and like it even more than the XR19-C I had before.
It's a pitty, to only have the light for a couple of days and then to send it back!
good thing McGizmo gives an excelent service!

So I would say sit tight sgt. Gunner and wait for the repair from McGizmo!
But I'm interested in a picture for sure!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I just tried taping over the Kilroy and now the light only gives me low and not high.

I also took a look at the driver. The coil of copper has broken off it's post. I don't think it was me who broke that because the only real test I put on the light was taking it swimming(which it passed with flying colors).

The flash sometimes happens when I tighten the head too fast when it is within operation position.

I'll see if I can get a picture up sometime tomorrow or the day after.

Kilroy is the ground contact for the converter. If you get light with Kilroy not making contact then something is simply wrong. The coil of copper broken off its post doesn't sound very good?!?!?! :thinking: :shrug: Were there any "bits" rattling around in the converter chamber? It sure sounds to me like you need a new DBx2 converter in there.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The coil itself is relatively intact. The post that everything is coiled on has snapped off the base. There wasn't anything rattling around in the light.

Pictures:
picture001hr1.jpg

picture006zr2.jpg

picture005ua8.jpg

McGizmo, is it possible to send me a new DBx2. I can remove the previous board and solder a new one on.

I'm asking this because my parent's probably won't let me send the light back(Unless I do this behind their back, I can't drive yet so no sneaking off to the post office).

If not, I'll see what I can do. I understand that you might want the light back to see what exactly went wrong and improve future products.

Thanks for looking!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Gunner12,

E-mail me your mailing address and I will mail you a new DBx2. I don't need to see any more of yours to know it needs help! It might be that a new inductor would get you working but I don't know if the IC hasn't been damaged as a result; my guess would be that it has.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Thank you so much,

Email sent.

I never though I would own a McGizmo light, but thanks two very generous members, I hope I will once again have a working light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've got the driver, and it doesn't look like a hard job, but I haven't fixed it yet. It should be fixed before the end of the month.

It's still used often. I also have another light to use if I need a lower mode(cheap DX light but it works).

Thanks for sending me the light, batteries and charger! You are one kind man.