Coast Focusing Lenser with TFFC K2 Emitter...WOW

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to try one of the new Luxeon TFFC K2 emitters in a Coast Focusing Lenser (model 7438). These normally come with a standard Luxeon I emitter, and I upgrade them with SSC P4 U bin emitters, making for an impressive performer. To make a long story short, this new K2 emitter in there rocks! The TFFC K2 is binned at a minimum of 200 lumens @ 1000 mA, but it's made to be pushed even harder...up to 1500 mA. You can get the new K2's from PhotonFanatic, over in the Dealer's Corner on the CPF Marketplace forum.

The SSC emitter doubles the size of the hotspot over stock, so it's very impressive. The K2 retains the stock beam pattern, with a very concentrated hotspot... but it's wayyyyyy brighter! My SSC modded versions typically put out around 5000 to 5500 lux @ one meter. The K2 modded version I just completed puts out 9000 lux! Keep in mind this is 9000 lux across a larger hotspot that your typical light. For reference, my meter shows my Fenix P3D CE at 3200 lux. The hotspot is roughly twice the size of my Pelican 7060's spot. This thing throws VERY well for a 3 x AAA light. Current draw with Eneloop AAA's is 1300 mA, settling in to about 950 mA after a few minutes.

Here's a couple of beamshots in the shop, at 18 inches.

SSC modded Lenser on left, TFFC K2 modded Lenser in middle, and Surefire 6PL on right for reference
dsc05444pj4.jpg

Underexposed
dsc05445dd5.jpg

Way underexposed. Where did the Surefire go?!? :nana:
dsc05442pz7.jpg

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: TFFC K2 Emitter in Coast Focusing Lenser...WOW

You should sell these already modded for people, it would be like a paid community service!:D

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

If only they didn't use worthless AAA batteries... :(
Sounds like SSC's are going to fall out of favor soon if they don't upgrade to V bins. :poke:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should sell these already modded for people, it would be like a paid community service!:D

Hi Sgt.,
I do sell the SSC modded versions (70 of them so far). I ordered 2 TFFC emitters from PhotonFanatic to try out. Just tonight, I found out that Fred can't get any more of these emitters (the TVOE bin, which this one is). He's looking into some other bins, we'll see what he comes up with.

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

If only they didn't use worthless AAA batteries... :(
Sounds like SSC's are going to fall out of favor soon if they don't upgrade to V bins. :poke:

Yeah, I wish I could figure out an easy way to stuff an 18650 in there. But in any case, the 1 hr. 15 minutes of reasonably flat output that the SSC version gets on NiMH's isn't too bad. I expect less runtime with this new emitter, but it should still be 45 minutes to an hour. Good enough for me.

I'm awaiting the V bins...don't know when they're going to get them to market. :candle:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

An 18500 could be rigged to fit inside, but it would take more effort than I'm willing to give due to their funky battery holder and head side contact design.
We'd need a way to run a negative contact up to that head ring in the light. I can do it with a paperclip and duct tape, but that is a less than ideal solution.
I have cheap-o 3xAAA chinese lights that work well with an 18500 with a bit of an extension (pennies) to ensure contact. But coast makes it way too difficult. I have the same gripe about the coast made Stainless Steel light they made for Leatherman.

Actually on the SSC V bins, I haven't seen any real evidence that SSC is making them. We all just hope because V is the next letter that they have something good up their sleeve for 2008, I think. Anyone know of SSC has actually stated that they will release a higher flux bin in that package?

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast

I install the same emitter in my Nuwai ALX352-L (use to have Lux V star in it )and run it with 2xrcr123 3.0v and WTF this sucker have a new life already
biggrin.gif

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I modded my 7438 with an Edison KCL8 LED with impressive results also.

Where can we get the new K2 emitters at?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have cheap-o 3xAAA chinese lights that work well with an 18500 with a bit of an extension (pennies) to ensure contact. But coast makes it way too difficult. I have the same gripe about the coast made Stainless Steel light they made for Leatherman. The Coast Focusing Lenser is already using this arrangement overseas, and it'll probably be on our shores in a few months.

Actually on the SSC V bins, I haven't seen any real evidence that SSC is making them. We all just hope because V is the next letter that they have something good up their sleeve for 2008, I think. Anyone know of SSC has actually stated that they will release a higher flux bin in that package?

I hear ya on the Coast being difficult to mod with an 18650. To make it worse, they had to anodize the tailcap and body threads, so they can't be used for a negative path like most lights can. The new switch arrangement like on the Leatherman will make the mod a little easier, but not easy enough to offer the service for others.

On the V bin, I've heard that Arc Mania has obtained an engineering sample and has it in one of his lights. According to rumor, Seoul is supposed to bring them to market sometime this coming year. A little late I think, with the Crees jumping ahead like they did. Maybe Seoul should just come out with an X bin! :popcorn:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, that's where I bought mine. I get all my emitters from PhotonFanatic, he's the best! The E bin is the one to get, but he's out of them, and he's not sure if he can even get them anymore. He has the F bin (higher Vf) available, but that's not the best bin for direct driving with 3 AAA's... the LED would be under-driven. Actually that bin would be good for longer runtime, but the output would be less. Maybe I should try one just to see...

Lightingguy321

Enlightened

It's time for me to go buy some K2 TFFC 0200 bins... but wait! Future doesn't have any in stock, how would a 180 binned K2 TFFC fair out in a Jr. luxeon (considering that I already modded the Jr. luxeon with a K2 (PW14-U000) and a McR 18.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks nice, Nanotech! Do you like it better than the Lux V? I know the Lux V's have a "wall of light" effect.

Lightingguy, The 180 bin should be fairly close, theoretically only 20 lumens apart, but could be more depending on the "lottery". Not sure how it'll work in your jr. luxeon... I'm not sure how the new K2 compares in beam angle to the old K2.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened

The new K2 just has a lower phosphor level inside the emitter package, other than that I would think it is the same, running at ~400mA I think I will get about 100 Lm from the LED and about 80 or so from the front (that as I have probably arleady stated is about 2 to 3 times better than the current 1 watt, also keep in mind, right now I am running an older U binned K2 in my Jr. lux, so it is all ready for the step up to the K2 with TFFC.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, that's where I bought mine. I get all my emitters from PhotonFanatic, he's the best! The E bin is the one to get, but he's out of them, and he's not sure if he can even get them anymore. He has the F bin (higher Vf) available, but that's not the best bin for direct driving with 3 AAA's... the LED would be under-driven. Actually that bin would be good for longer runtime, but the output would be less. Maybe I should try one just to see...

I do have some E flux bin K2s coming my way. I took the only 200 lumen K2 emitters that they had with the E Vf. The complete bin code is TUME, which makes this an even warmer tint than the V0--how much warmer, and whether it has a real yellow tint to it or not, we will see when they arrive. :D

I think that perhaps some of the folks who are into fixed lighting for the home might find this bin of interest also--should appear more like an incandescent than a HID, that for sure.

As soon as they arrive, I'll post a sales thread in the Dealer's Corner of CPF MarketPlace.