New LED Light Bars for off-road use

KingGlamis

Banned
We just got in our first shipment of the new Vision X "Xmitter" LED light bars. We have wired up two of them on one of our off-road cars and let me tell you, they are BRIGHT! Sorry, no beam shots yet. I should have more info tomorrow but here are the basic specs:

6", 8 LEDs, 24 watts, 2 amps, 1440 lumens.
8", 12 LEDs, 36 watts, 3 amps, 2160 lumens.
12", 20 LEDs, 60 watts, 5 amps, 3600 lumens.
22" 40 LEDs, 120 watts, 10 amps, 7200 lumens.
32", 60 LEDs, 180 watts, 15 amps, 10800 lumens.
42", 80 LEDs, 240 watts, 20 amps, 14400 lumens.

I've heard they are very high-output 15mm LEDs but I'm going to confirm what they are before I say more.

Here is what one looks like:
Xmitter1.jpg

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard they are very high-output 15mm LEDs but I'm going to confirm what they are before I say more.
They're claiming 60 lumens/watt with each LED running at 3 watts. How many 15mm LEDs do you know of that can do that? It sounds like Cree/Seoul territory.

KingGlamis

Banned
They're claiming 60 lumens/watt with each LED running at 3 watts. How many 15mm LEDs do you know of that can do that? It sounds like Cree/Seoul territory.

That's why I said I would get more info before saying more. One of the dealers claimed the LEDs are 1.5 million mcd per LED. That is huge, so I thought I would verify with the MFG before making those claims myself. I'll update tomorrow with some actual numbers.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't mean to rain on any parades (including my own; I remain interested in data and additional images), but I found the maker's website, and one of the company's main activities seems to be selling low-quality Chinese automotive lighting and "light styling" equipment. Those sealed beam conversions and most of those auxiliary lights, for example, are the junk made by Nunseing Sirius. The ones that aren't are knockoff copies of Hella lights, made by another disreputable Chinese outfit. Their entire "OEM" catalogue is nothing but this kind of garbage — not an actual OEM piece to be found. And look at the BS being used to sell their "superwhite" bulbs. And while "electrostatic ion coating" sounds nifty and cool, it doesn't mean anything. I'm seeing "HID kits". I'm seeing "LED bulbs". I'm seeing all kinds of toyzzz trendy with the kidzzzz. I'm seeing marketeering gobbledegook masquerading as "information", and that pings my BS-o-meter and makes me skeptical.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:

KingGlamis

Banned
I don't mean to rain on any parades (including my own; I remain interested in data and additional images), but I found the maker's website, and one of the company's main activities seems to be selling low-quality Chinese automotive lighting and "light styling" equipment. Those sealed beam conversions and most of those auxiliary lights, for example, are the junk made by Nunseing Sirius. The ones that aren't are knockoff copies of Hella lights, made by another disreputable Chinese outfit. Their entire "OEM" catalogue is nothing but this kind of garbage — not an actual OEM piece to be found. And look at the BS being used to sell their "superwhite" bulbs. And while "electrostatic ion coating" sounds nifty and cool, it doesn't mean anything. I'm seeing "HID kits". I'm seeing "LED bulbs". I'm seeing all kinds of toyzzz trendy with the kidzzzz. I'm seeing marketeering gobbledegook masquerading as "information", and that pings my BS-o-meter and makes me skeptical.

Just sayin'.

Well lots of quality lights come from over seas (for those of us in the USA). Fenix comes to mind. Vison X is similar to Fenix in the off-road world. Good products at a decent price. And a lifetime warranty. And these LED light bars are incredibly bright! So you might not want to trash a product that you have no direct information about. Once you have tested these light bars then you can come back and post your results. Until then, I don't think you are qualified to give an opinion on them.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well lots of quality lights come from over seas

Yes, certainly. But so far, no quality automotive lights have come from China.

And a lifetime warranty

Warranties do not impress me; they're marketing tools. Photometrics, build and materials quality, durability, and honest no-BS description impresses me.

I don't think you are qualified to give an opinion on them.

I note that your .sig and your website suggest you have a commercial interest in this company's products, so I can understand how my remarks might've put you on the defensive. We're both grownups; I will not get in a pissing contest with you. I am quite confident my credentials and qualifications are more than ample to afford me sound footing for my opinion. Others may choose to agree or disagree on that point, at their sole option.

Last edited:

Bogie

Enlightened
My concern would be what kind of throw can they achieve. As its easy to over drive halogen lights.

Wolf

Newly Enlightened
My concern would be what kind of throw can they achieve. As its easy to over drive halogen lights.

Thats the same question I had in mind, are these throw or area floods. Went to the makers website as well and looked at the pics they have up, of course all the hires links are dead on their site but from the low res pics it does look like the leds in there are probably "super-high flux" or maybe crees (cant really tell) what I could tell is whatever led is in looks to have a optic lens on them (something like a Fraen type) so depending on the led type it might have alittle bit of throw but nothing like a off road driving light.
Biggest problem I would have with thinking about buying something like this is the lack of a description/specification of the actual beam pattern/envelope.

...my 2 cents worth...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
its easy to over drive halogen lights.

Well, not exactly. On straight roads, and picking for the calculations a max speed of 75 mph, it's easy to overdrive the range of any light that has an effective range of less than 300 feet. That includes all low beams of whatever technology you care to name, and it includes a great many high beams, and it includes a great many auxiliary driving lamps of whatever technology you care to name...while at the same time, there are plenty of halogen lights with an effective range much greater than 300 feet.

Good lamps are better than bad lamps. The technology used to create the light does not necessarily make the lamp a good one or a bad one.

The calculations get more involved with curved roads, but the same general principle applies.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've come to the conclusion that they're a new type of LED. It looks like each dissipates 3 watts at 1 amp, with 4 in series for a 12 volt supply, which both point to an operating voltage of 3.0 volts. That's a fair bit lower than the best Cree XR-E P4 I've seen, at just over 3.3 volts @ 1A. (I've got plans for that one.) Also, if I remember the specs and test results correctly, the P4 at 1 amp only does 50 lumens per watt (they're claiming 60 for these LEDs). Q5? I suppose they could get enough of them for a price but it would hardly be an economic move.

So either we have a new type of LED here or the specs are exaggerated.

BTW, I couldn't outdrive the 130W auxiliary driving lights on my old car on a straight road. With curves (and we have a lot of very curvy roads here) the light shining on the outside of the curve was sometimes too bright, especially if there was a reflectorised sign there.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Thats the same question I had in mind, are these throw or area floods. Went to the makers website as well and looked at the pics they have up, of course all the hires links are dead on their site (...) Biggest problem I would have with thinking about buying something like this is the lack of a description/specification of the actual beam pattern/envelope.

Yup, exactly. They give lumen specs for the various sizes of light bar. They don't bother telling us what they're specifying. Is that the totalled output of all the emitters...? Probably, since this would be the largest figure, though it tells us nothing about the lights' efficiency or the lamp's beam performance. Or is it the beam lumen content? Probably not, given the figures stated, but even if it is, it tells us nothing about the photometry. We have no way of knowing how that light is distributed. There's no Emax or Imax specified, no isocandela chart...nothing but handwaving and hype have I seen, so far.

I hate that. :-(

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember the exact pricing. But it starts at a few hundred for the smallest one and I think the biggest one is $1750. I can post pricing tomorrow.

Ick, for that price I'm sticking with good ol halogen, efficiency is not really a concern anyway.

VisionX

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

This is Nick from Vision X. I had a dealer that mentioned you all wanted specs on the Xmitter bars so here is the skinny.

Each LED is a 3 watt 180 lumen LED. To figure the amperage draw take the number of LED's times it by 3 (3 watts each) and divide by 12 volts. Most rigs will run between 13.5 and 14.5 volts so the amperage draw will be a little less then what the equation gives you. The body of the light is an aluminum extrusion and doubles as a heat sink to draw heat form the LED's. Each end cap is Die-Cast aluminum and has a seal between the aluminum extrusion to keep out water and dust (sand in your world). The lens is polycarbonate (what bullet proof glass is made of) and will not shatter. You could shoot it with a shotgun, but that is not covered under the lifetime warranty (I know that would be the last question). Hand guns will go through it...... The mounting system is a bar that runs through the extrusion and is adjustable when the light is mounted. They come with a flat tab mount and a universal tube mount that does require drilling through the tube. Optional billet mounts are available so you don't have to drill in 1.5", 1.75" and 2". There is also a seal around the polycarbonate lens to keep moisture and dust from entering in the front.

The current beam pattern is a 15 degree spot, due to the shape of the bar it acts more like a euro beam. They will not go as far as a spot or pencil beam HID, mainly because our HID spot is an 8 degree. What the racer we sponsor have told us is that under 100 mph they can't out run it and using it in addition to HID's you can't beat it. I think this is mainly because there are no dead spots in the beam pattern which you tend to find in any HID or Halogen manufactures product. It is a completely smooth beam pattern. If I get my hands on some photos of the beam I will post them in use in the sand. I am sure you will see a few pop up from members due to the amount that we have already sold. I can tell you so far, all of the dealers are surprised at the light out put and to be honest if they weren't we would have pulled them back and made them surprised. Anyone who has dealt with us directly will tell you we are pretty down to earth and only want the best out there and do what it takes to get it there.

Deep breath, this is a long one....

Lastly, as for us as a company.... Main difference, we are a US based company who engineers everything in house. We make our own electronics and bulbs and do not out source them from another company. We own all of our tooling and do not buy it from a parent company. These are the reasons are pricing is competitive. As for the fact that we do make entry level lights that are not $599 each, of course we do. We understand everyone cannot afford that kind of money. Our HID's and Xmitter product are our flagship products that get the bulk of our research but we do have customers in different industries who want a set of $150 fog lights. Some people buy Hondas and some buy Acura, same company but the price isn't. That may be not the greatest analogy because I wouldn't but either. Feature, function, performance and quality costs and some people don't want to pay for it and are happy with entry level. We just market to both. Our flagship product components are made all over the world (depending on who makes the best glass, who does the best die-casting) and assembled in a central location (not China, we are too scared they will try and copy it).

Long story short, our flagship products are top quality and we stand behind them with a lifetime warranty, unless you shoot them. Ask yourselves who else has a lifetime warranty. Not many that I am aware of regardless of the industry. We do it because we know how much we have prided ourselves with the quality of our lights and that if the customer steps up to the plate we should too. As far as specs go, if I don't have the answer one of my engineers most likely does. I will try and keep up to date on questions, feel free to call me at 888-489-9820 or drop me an email at [email protected].

Those of you who are still awake, thanks for sitting through that and fire away and questions...

Nick