older cars with free-standing or fender mounted headlamps...

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I am in need of assistance and didnt know where else to turn - hoping one of you guys read or heard the same thing I did.

Some place, internet or TV, I have heard that older vehicles with external mounted headlamps were outlawed **WAIT** not for steet use, but perhaps for some type of racing or in some certain country...

It said that they made them enclose the reflectors inside the body or behind a lense due to the headlamp flying off or possibly obstructing view I really dont know.

I hope someone knows something about this because it is driving me crazy and google cant help if I dont know the answer.

here are reference photos of what I am refering to.
P1070030B.jpg

etype4.JPG

thanks for reading.

kawgomoo

Newly Enlightened
not in the states, if they pass the law all older cars would be grandfathered. so if you have a pedestal headlight i would not sweat it.

DieselTech

Enlightened
Contact the local DOT and ask. I've never heard of anything like that, and would agree with the last poster that older vehicles should be grandfathered in and exempt from the law, like my '64 F-350 with no seatbelts.

I think they're okay, though. Lots of dump trucks and semi trucks have turn signals mounted on the front fenders. If the concern is a headlamp flying off, I'd think that any light (including turn signals) would fall under the restriction.

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
Well thanks for looking anyway guys.
I would have wrote to DOT but my question does not relate to Street usage as my rig has fender mounts.

The picture of the second car is almost Identical to the one I remember seeing when they talked about this. I assume its a racing event where the lights were outlawed since no one seems to know about it.

kawgomoo

Newly Enlightened
i cant think of anything with pedestal mount headlights that goes fast enough to tear off the headlight. though we did build a stroker 928 once... BUAHAHA. pretty sick i must admit.

in auto racing glass lenses are forbidden anyhow. if you have them they have to be taped up so in an accident the glass does not scatter across the field.

as for all the old british crap/vintage racing. i cant see them outlawing anything that came on the car that way. the whole point of vintage racing is to stick to the original design and intent of the auto... if they were concerned about safety no one would be allowed to race an MG at all.

i could at least sympathize with open top car owners not wanting to be hit in the head with errant headlights popping off... but eh. race at your own risk.

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input. I still have yet to figure out exactly what I have heard or from what source, but I assume I will eventually get the correct info. Its most likely something that someone covered here in this thread, I possibly just didnt hear correctly the first time.

Thanks again!