Surefire M6 Lego - the bottom line?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand that M6 lego is outside the sphere of officially-recommended practice, but with that said, does this correctly summarize the options?

MN21: HOLA
MN20: LOLA
MN15: XLOLA
MN10 with Z46 (M3 non-turbo) bezel: compact XLOLA
Probably should add the "RLOLA" (LF HO-M6R + RCR123 cells)?

Yes/no/maybe?

Last edited:

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mn10 and mn15 are the same bulb in different assemblies... You'll see no difference in output, rather a difference in collimation.

JS and some other bright minds are also working on aftermarket rechargeable solutions which are quite promising. One of these options, IIRC was to use 3 18650 cells with a MN61.

Illum

Flashaholic
the MN10 is shorter than the MN15 [designed for regular bezels not turboheads], so yeah it'll work but your going to have a hideous beamshot since its way off the designed focal point

and uh... you forgot the KL6 LED head, its a lego too...just doesn't look like it;)

if you must use a MN10, consider putting an M3 bezel on your M6, this is way outside the warranty [this guy did just that]

standard bezel configuration
  • MN21 [HOLA], 6x123A, runtime 20 minutes [tested around ~27 till dead with Tenergy, expect better with surefire cells]
  • MN20 [LOLA], 6x123A, runtime 60 minutes [tested around ~65 till dead with Tenergy, expect better with surefire cells]

----------Source: c0t0d0s0----------
  • MN15 [X-LOLA, V-LOLA], runtime expected 2.5 hours [as reviewed by js]
  • Lumens Factory EO-M3T Extreme Output 9 volts, 450 Lumens Lamp [link]
  • Lumens Factory HO-M3T High Output 9 volts, 380 Lumens Lamp [link]
  • Lumens Factory HO-M6R High Output 700 Lumens Lamp Assembly [link] uses 6xrcr123a cells
using non-turbohead lamp configuration
  • MN10 [M3 bezel, expect twice the battery life of the M3]
  • Lumens Factory HO-M3 High Output 9 volts, 320 Lumens Lamp [link] [advertised 50 min runtime on 3xcr123A, expect double the value]
Bezel assembly swap
  • KL6 Lumamax, link given above:thumbsup:
there are rechargeable configurations available, such as M6-R with MN61
but generally not recommended/hard to find:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
there is also the lumens factory HO-M6R on 6xRCR123s. simple easy rechargeable solution for the M6.

THE HO-M3T and EO-M3T will also work in the M6 on primaries as alternatives. But like the MN15 it will have a somewhat reduced life span on this configuration.

oh, and with the M3 bezel, the HO-M3 and EO-M3 should also work.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is also the lumens factory HO-M6R on 6xRCR123s. simple easy rechargeable solution for the M6.

I've always wondered about using 6 RCR's in the M6. Isn't there a danger of unevenly charged cells? Plus, I'd probably have to buy 3 different chargers since most of the ones that I've seen only have 2 spaces for batteries. Is the LF HO-M6R lamp a lot brighter than the stock MN21? I know they say it's 700 lumen...but you know...

Thanks!

mdocod

Flashaholic
using protected cells there is little danger, getting them all charged up is another issue, I would suggest buying 3 DSD chargers on the cheap to make it easier. The other option I believe is a simple 3x17670 pack to run the HO-M6R on (wired in series). If anyone is really interested in such a pack I could probably add it to my to-design and build list, and have a simple offering around $20 or less made out of my garage from common parts...

The HO-M6R is rated 700 BULB lumens, or about 450 torch lumens. The MN21 is closer to 600+ torch lumens, and the MN20 is probably closer to 300 true torch lumens. (all depends on how you want to measure and when you want to measure).... so the HO-M6R falls in the middle of the MN20 and MN21 as far as output is concerned, has a nice beam pattern from what I have heard, and runs about 30 minutes, great setup IMO.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've always wondered about using 6 RCR's in the M6. Isn't there a danger of unevenly charged cells? Plus, I'd probably have to buy 3 different chargers since most of the ones that I've seen only have 2 spaces for batteries. Is the LF HO-M6R lamp a lot brighter than the stock MN21? I know they say it's 700 lumen...but you know...

Thanks!

mdocod already covered it very well but I just thought I'd add my experience with the LF HO-M6R. The LF is noticeably brighter but it's most evident by it's brighter hot spot. It's difficult to describe the differences but to put it in LED terms it's similar to the difference between and L4 and a NovaTac 120. Although the NovaTac is only producing a little more overall light output the center is much hotter. The LF HO-M6R is a bit whiter and seems to disproportionately throw farther than you'd expect the heavily textured reflector to be able to do. I think it's a combination of the tip of the bulb not being frosted and the actual filament size being slightly smaller.

Regarding run time. I able to get three 12-14 minute runs out of fully charged AW 123, charged on two DSD chargers. I also charge on a pair of Nanos but always match the voltage before inserting them into the carrier.
Overall I love the set up because I enjoy the M6 more now than I ever did.

I also run the M3 head on another M6 body (with primaries of course) in conjunction with the LF EO-M3 bulb. Once again it's whiter that the SF lamps, throws better and gives wonderful run-time with that combination.

j3bnl

Enlightened
The 2 'C' extension by Fivemega is another rechargeable option for the M6 which is well worth considering.

I use the Fivemega 2 "C" extension and also his Bi-Pin Socket
Fivemega MN Lamp Bi-Pin Socket
This is an excellent setup and allows you to use WA1111 bulbs which cost a lot less than the Surefire lamps.
The 2 "C" extension will also run the MN20, MN21 and also the Lumens Factory EO-M3T.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
so the HO-M6R falls in the middle of the MN20 and MN21 as far as output is concerned, has a nice beam pattern from what I have heard, and runs about 30 minutes, great setup IMO

I bought an HO-M6R and a set of Tenergy 3.0v RCRs (probably the wrong cells, I know) and have been getting pretty much those results - very good. Putting the cells through a single charger in pairs is not a good long-term solution, though.

I had kind of ignored the KL6 option because although it works the whole point of the M6, for me, was the incandescent LAs - but flexibility is good.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's also the tower module that milkyspit makes for turboheads. That gives around 220 lumen for 5.5 hrs in the M6. :)

Last edited: