Rediscovering the Surefire 9N

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased this unique light many years ago during an "acquisition stage" but have only recently taken it out of storage again, the B90 NiCD stick is holding a charge after 10+ years so definitely a testament to Surefire, my only issue apart from tarnished contacts (easily cleaned) is the n90 lamp appears to have continuity issues for the primary lamp which works intermittently, a Google search reveals these lamp modules to be unobtainable leaving only Lumens Factory LED drop-ins & Tad Customs bi-pin Strion adapters (both of which defeat the twin lamp function).

I think modding the n90 might be good fun but not if I can't secure another 🤔

20230714_082610.jpg

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should pick up one of these some day for the history. One of the vintage Surefires that doesn't have any collector interest, I guess due to the bulb and battery situation. The charging setup is reminiscent of the Magcharger's that's been adapted to work with a tailcap switch.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two. One that I never use, and the other a little worn, a user, but not a rough user, just around the house and things like that. I use an 18650 adapter since all my nicad batteries died a long time ago. Still works great after all this time and has that classic Surefire look.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always admired its looks.
Indeed, that is what motivated me as well, a kind of a "functional beauty" 🤗

I should pick up one of these some day for the history. One of the vintage Surefires that doesn't have any collector interest, I guess due to the bulb and battery situation.

I am a collector and found the 9N desirable but opinions/tastes vary, batteries are no issue with NiCD, NiHM battery sticks readily available, alternatively 3 sub C cells or an 18650 + adapter, my primary wish/intention is to maintain a working dual bulb arrangement (even if one is a 5mm LED).

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if it's old age bias or not but I often prefer older fashions, equipment, vehicles, music, movies and even literature (period naval fiction) over much of the modern offerings, I have always been a fan of vintage/retro even in my youth 🤣

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed, that is what motivated me as well, a kind of a "functional beauty" 🤗

I am a collector and found the 9N desirable but opinions/tastes vary, batteries are no issue with NiCD, NiHM battery sticks readily available, alternatively 3 sub C cells or an 18650 + adapter, my primary wish/intention is to maintain a working dual bulb arrangement (even if one is a 5mm LED).

NIMH sticks don't last nearly as long as Nicad's IME. I had an electric razor from the 90's, which the two Nicad AA batteries just finally died for good recently. NIMH last.. 2 or 3 years it seems. And their capacity starts going down right away. They lose charge quickly, though not as bad with Eneloop style batteries. They have problems if the temps are not just right.. No reason not to use a Li-ion adapter in this light these days IMO. And I've used IMR's and protected ICR's and all kinds of lithium ion batteries, they all work fine, and you get a little bit more brightness, but not to the point where it really stresses the lamp assembly.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have a 9AN and it's a cool light. Sometimes when I'm feeling nostalgic, I really get into incandescence.And this with the high/low and beam diffuser is a great light.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed with the tactical parts.
Have not thought about these, as I do not purchase such lights, so old & new lights do not differ that much for me.
;)

When the "low" bulb
(it is not low, but in this light here, it is the low one.) :)
finally poofs :poof:, You could carefully remove it, keep the wires as long as possible, shorten the black holding rod, put a white 5mm led in and so "repair" the light insert.

(shorten the rod is not that important, but because the led has its own reflector, it has no need to extend much outside of its hole + nothing blocks the main bulb's beam inside the main reflector)

Last edited:

TRSFA

Newly Enlightened
I hope someone can give me some direction regarding my 9N overhaul. I'd love to get it back in service. The last time I charged it up w the original batteries and charger, it lasted all of about 3 minutes.

In a perfect world, I would be able to convert it to a good non-rechargeable battery, in that I won't be using it that often. I would like to keep the dual lamp setup, but it's not critical.

Can someone direct me to a website that sells a converstion kit, and/or tell me what to buy to get it back in service? It's been on the dusty shelf too long.

Thanks!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You want to use non rechargeable batteries? Lumens factory makes a great adapter to run 18650's if you want to go that route.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were to choose the "casual user" path, 3 single sub C cells (still rechargeable) would be my preference because choosing AA cells instead would require a DIY battery carriage 👍