CPF Equal

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would all of you consider the knife forum that would be the eqivalent to CPF.

All this reading about knives and sharpeners has renewed my interest. I think I may sign up on a knife forum.

Thanks

Bill

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Not quite the same....

Although both CPF and BladeForums are huge, with thousands of members; the atmosphere is very different.

BF is not family-friendly. In fact, the General forum on BF makes the CPF Underground look like Kindergarden. Baiting posts are common, flame wars break out on an almost regular basis, and if you politely disagree with something that someone posts about their favorite knife; you're likely to get a bunch of 4-letter words hurled at you.

I go there far less than I used to. Mainly, I got fed up with the inflated egos and the nonsense. Don't get me wrong, there are a significant amount of CPFers who have BF accounts as well. Obviously my comments aren't directed at everyone who posts at both sites.

If you go there, don't expect to post the way you do here. I have to alter my posting style whenever I go on BF. If I let the nice, friendly, helpful side of my personality shine through too much; I'd get stepped on like a bug.

But if by "equivelant," you meant as big as CPF with a ton of traffic and new posts; then yes, they are equivalent.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I agree not very frendly but there are some helpful threads its just you must sign up to view them all.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Guys, I signed up and already posted my first thread. I will keep in mind your advise about the atmosphere. I really appreciate your help.

I seen a couple of your posts monocrom so I fugured why not.

Bill

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks Guys, I signed up and already posted my first thread. I will keep in mind your advise about the atmosphere. I really appreciate your help.

I seen a couple of your posts monocrom so I fugured why not.

Bill

Happy to help. :)

Just keep in mind what I told you, and watch out for those baiting posts.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just stay in the tech section and avoid the community part. And when you get flamed don't bother flame back, some people there can deal plenty of insults but can't take any (a mod or two included unfortunately).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just stay in the tech section and avoid the community part. And when you get flamed don't bother flame back, some people there can deal plenty of insults but can't take any (a mod or two included unfortunately).

Sadly, all too true.

cutlerylover

Banned
bladeforums is the biggest forum and has tons of info, but I agree not family friendly, but knifeforums is second best and although not as much traffic, plenty of kind people and very family friendly!

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The manufacturer specific subforums on BF and KF are good. They are usually populated by a smaller group of specific knife knuts who tend to know each other, making the general atmosphere friendlier. And for the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, don't buy a Busse! They'll suck you in worse than any SureFire or McGizmo could. You'll be inducted into a brotherhood and given a hog-related nickname. I'm not kidding.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite the same....

Although both CPF and BladeForums are huge, with thousands of members; the atmosphere is very different.

BF is not family-friendly. In fact, the General forum on BF makes the CPF Underground look like Kindergarden. Baiting posts are common, flame wars break out on an almost regular basis, and if you politely disagree with something that someone posts about their favorite knife; you're likely to get a bunch of 4-letter words hurled at you.

I go there far less than I used to. Mainly, I got fed up with the inflated egos and the nonsense. Don't get me wrong, there are a significant amount of CPFers who have BF accounts as well. Obviously my comments aren't directed at everyone who posts at both sites.

If you go there, don't expect to post the way you do here. I have to alter my posting style whenever I go on BF. If I let the nice, friendly, helpful side of my personality shine through too much; I'd get stepped on like a bug.

But if by "equivelant," you meant as big as CPF with a ton of traffic and new posts; then yes, they are equivalent.
I think Blade Forum posters are very helpful and friendly, they are just not overly Politically Correct like most CPFers are. In fact, they hate the PC trend. Blade Forums is basically an all American board where people speak their minds, while CPF is more like an international forum with a more severe moderation style.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The manufacturer specific subforums on BF and KF are good. They are usually populated by a smaller group of specific knife knuts who tend to know each other, making the general atmosphere friendlier. And for the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, don't buy a Busse! They'll suck you in worse than any SureFire or McGizmo could. You'll be inducted into a brotherhood and given a hog-related nickname. I'm not kidding.
LOL. Gotta love BF's Busse section!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think Blade Forum posters are very helpful and friendly, they are just not overly Politically Correct like most CPFers are. In fact, they hate the PC trend. Blade Forums is basically an all American board where people speak their minds, while CPF is more like an international forum with a more severe moderation style.

I do agree that there are BFers who are helpful and friendly. (I try to be that way when I visit BladeForums). But if you disagree with something that another BFer posts, you might indeed start a thought-provoking discussion.... The other 50% of the time, your post will be used as a lame excuse to start up a flame war.

Also, there's a clear distinction between being kind, helpful, and friendly; vs. being Politically Correct. On CPF, I'm often the former; but never the latter. I can't stand the P.C. crowd! If CPF was P.C., my post count would be in the single digits. And I'd never return! I've openly criticized various aspects of the flashlight world. Thing is, I'm the guy who'll post something like, "This light is garbage," and then I'll post why.

I've spoken my mind many times on CPF. Never had a single Moderator or Admin. warn me to stop when I posted something that was blatantly un-P.C.

I guess it's all about perspective. I don't see the moderation on CPF as being severe. Hell, look at Empath. Have you ever seen him fly off the handle at even an obnoxious User? I don't think he has a mean bone in his body. Part of me still thinks he must be a computer program of some sort. He never gets mean!

On BladeForums, it's often the loudest, most obnoxious Users who get all the attention. And at least one of them is a moderator. He likes to belittle anyone who disagrees with him. He can never give an intelligent rebuttal. Instead, he resorts to childish name-calling. He's very condescending. No clue how he became a moderator. But he spends his time trying to build up a rather fragile ego, by pretending he has a superior intellect. And if you get too angry at him, he bans you.

He never banned me. But that's because I called him on his childish behavior, without getting angry. There's another moderator who constantly misinterprets my posts. He's even more jadded than I am. (And that's saying a lot). Him, I still respect. But I stopped wasting my time trying to get on his good side.

BF would be a far better place if the moderators took a more active role. No, I don't expect it to be family friendly or cheerful. But the sheer volume of egos & nonsense means you often have to bring a shovel to dig through all the $#^%.

EDIT ~

I can't speak about some of the sub-forums, but the guys over at the Kershaw sub-forum on BF are some of the best bunch I've ever encountered. The same thing applies to the Spyderco collectors.... But we generally prefer posting on the forums that Sal set up on Spyderco.com

Just as friendly as CPF, but with closer interactions.... Like a 2nd family.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL. Gotta love BF's Busse section!

OK what is all this fuss about he Busse. It is a great knife or what? Are the people there crazy or are you guys serious about it being a great sub forum? One thing is for sure, the Busse models are not inexpensive.

Fill me in please.

Bill

cutlerylover

Banned
OK what is all this fuss about he Busse. It is a great knife or what? Are the people there crazy or are you guys serious about it being a great sub forum? One thing is for sure, the Busse models are not inexpensive.

Fill me in please.

Bill

Busse's are pretty much the sweetest hardcore user fixed blades otu there, incredibly thick stocks, increditbly string knives...Knives you cna pretty mcuh do anythgi with and not be affraid of beating them up..If you check out noss4's video tests (soem don't liek these tests) but it shows how much abuse it will take before breaking... www.knifetests.com Anyway busse fans are liek a colt, lol, once you get one there is no goign back...all that beign said I have yet to buy one for myself, lol...I have not dropped that much on a fixed blade yet, only folders..but hopefull someday!

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Fill me in please.

Bill

I'll tell you what I know. Busse was started up to provide Operators and LEOs with the absolute toughest knives in the world. Far beyond anything that has ever been available before.... unless you spent thousands of dollars on a custom piece. The company was a huge success. Busse knives are like Frankenstein's monster. No matter what you do, you can't kill a Busse. If you ran it over with a tank.... it might actually still survive!

Problem is, the knives were too successful. It didn't take long before the collectors showed up and started gobbling them up. Prices rose, at a nearly insane rate. Nowadays, the very folks for whom the knives were intended; can no longer afford them. Busse knives now come with very beautiful handles. Wasn't like that at first. Used to be black blades with gray handles. But the collectors wanted something "prettier."

Don't get me wrong, the guy who started the company didn't abandon his original customer base. Swamp Rat Knives was created to fill in the gap. Can't afford a Busse, get a Swamp Rat. (Sort of like Busse's ugly sister. But from the same family stock. Both are tough as nails).

Haven't spent time on the Busse Sub-forum. Can't comment on what goes on there.

Dantor

Enlightened
I agree with most that was said here. I'm a member on all these forums and being so big, I can understand how things can get out of hand, like family!

IMO outta the big 3 mentioned, CPF has some of the smartest/geeks (I mean that in a good way! :D ) around. With some pretty strict/on the lookout Mods (god bless em).

KF is friendly with tons of good people but all the ads/banners kill it for me.

BF truly is a monster! but they also have some wonderful people over there that will help you in the drop of a hat/knife. Like stated it can get crazy.

I belong to 2 smaller forums, scrapyardknives.com (forum) and Multitool.org If you want friendly, informative and a place for info, they are it.

I am WhichDawg over there. I'll put it this way about Busse, they are the Surefire of blades; beautiful, more then you could ever possibly need and expensive!

Scrapyard is the third part of the triad (Busse, SwampRat and Scrapyard, all family) and the most inexpensive but just as good, only not as fancy.

my SYs
jkfxqa.jpg

good luck Bill on your quest for steel!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... I'll put it this way about Busse, they are the Surefire of blades; beautiful, more then you could ever possibly need and expensive!

Scrapyard is the third part of the triad (Busse, SwampRat and Scrapyard, all family) and the most inexpensive but just as good, only not as fancy....

Yup, sounds about right. The Surefire of blades.

So Swamp Rat became so popular, they had to create another "affordable" brand?

Dantor

Enlightened
Yup, sounds about right. The Surefire of blades.

So Swamp Rat became so popular, they had to create another "affordable" brand?

I think that's pretty accurate. They fazed out Resiprene C handles to more expensive micarta (more perdy too) and others and all of SYs have res-c, which to me has a better feel for heavier jobs, like chopping.

Busse is INFI steel, SwampRat is SR101 and ScrapYard is SR77, all tough as heck.

If you get a chance Monocrom, come say hi, we'd welcome you (and all) but like here, just say nooooo! :D