need a aa light with a low low

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i've tried the dx 20 mode light and when new it was great but seems to have a flicker to the point it is unreliable for emergency use.
i want a nice light with a low low that runs on aa battery, something with levels perferable (but no sos or strobe if possible)
i really like to have a decent light for power outages and night time walking usage and the dx could fit the bill but something simpler and more reliable would be great.
thanks,
jasonsmaglites

copperfox

Enlightened
Lumapower LM31. Low low and high modes. Seoul emitter w/OP reflector. $31 - link.

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Nitecore Defender Infinity. Love this thing- it's been my EDC since I got it over 2 months ago and I don't see it being replaced for a long time.

loving light

Newly Enlightened
gerber infinity low low,but that is the only setting or an original proton pro that is adjustable

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
The JetBeam CL-Ev2 has a pretty low low. It's a small, well built unobtrusive light.

I don't know how low the NiteCore goes but I EDC a Olight T15 Q5. It's low isn't too low compared to the JB, but it works well, particularly if using Nimh. And it's a lot cheaper than the NiteCore. Not small for a AA light, but built like a tank, and it won't saw a hole in your pocket like a light might with a scalloped bezel. Also you have the option to buy another battery tube and stack them for a 2AA light. Bumps it up to 180 lumen on Nimh's and runs for over an hour. How much over depends on whether you're using 2000 mah or 2700 mah batteries.

Also the strobe and SOS modes are out of the way, you don't cycle through them. They're only on call if you need them.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
If you don't need multiple light levels, I'd suggest a Peak Pacific AA. Give them a call and order one with the lowest output (longest run) and expect around 40 hours without dimming! I've got a brass one that is still on the first battery after many months of use.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Proton Pro.

The low white is pretty low, but you will need to start on high then scroll down to low.

The low on red can still preserve most of your night vision.

BigD64

Enlightened
+1 for the Rex. I'm still waiting for a Nitecore on backorder for 2 months.

AvPD

Enlightened
The XJC B-6 has a low low and it's good for the price. However, I got one with a dead patch on the LED which produced a permanent dark spot in the beam. It's very easily upgradeable though, the LED is only held on with thermal paste, and I seem to be the lone victim of this sort of defect.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JetBeam CL-Ev2 has a pretty low low. It's a small, well built unobtrusive light.

I don't know how low the NiteCore goes but I EDC a Olight T15 Q5. ... Also you have the option to buy another battery tube and stack them for a 2AA light. Bumps it up to 180 lumen on Nimh's and runs for over an hour. How much over depends on whether you're using 2000 mah or 2700 mah batteries.

Where can you find these +1 x AA extension tubes for the T15???? I was all set to get a T10, since it offered higher high and longer runtime than the T15, but if I can put 2 AA Eneloops in the T15, weeeellllll....... :)

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Proton or the Proton Pro is the way to go. If you haven't already, I'd suggest taking another look at Kilgor's comparison review: [link]

The NiteCore's low (5lm?) is still too bright for me. To provide the so-called 'infinitely-variable brightness' they should have gone all out on both ends of the output by having a real low-low.

Too bad the Proton starts on high and has to be ramped to the lowest low. Just a picky issue for me.

jinx626

Enlightened
The fenix L1t v2.0 is pretty good. low/high..but no low low tho. I like the UI. easy to use(just incase I need to lend it to someone that's not a flashaholic or give away as a gift). Just turn the head tight for high (90 lumen) and loosen for low (11-15 lumen). Water proof IPX-8 (just in case some moron at a pool party decided to push you into the pool :whistle::stupid:)

Last edited:

Tremendo

Enlightened
+1 for the Rex. I'm still waiting for a Nitecore on backorder for 2 months.

I have a Rex 2.0 that I really like. But it couldn't replace my Firefly3 as my EDC. However, the Nitecore did just that, and now is my EDC. Keep waiting, it's worth it!