Makita drill batterys any good for bike lights

trout

Enlightened
As I need a new cordless drill for work I am looking at these
http://www.makitauk.com/index.php?page=332

And wondering if they will be good to run my bike lights .
are they going to be really as good as the add says and 22 minutes recharge. with 2000 cycles .

with work and riding I would be recharging about 4 times a week that is 9 years use can these last that long ?

ktronik

Enlightened
the 22 min charge time may point to the new A123 Lithium batterys... if that is the case, they would be a great battery for a bike light... maybe pull them out of the plastic housing to make a smaller package...

k

trout

Enlightened
the 22 min charge time may point to the new A123 Lithium batterys... if that is the case, they would be a great battery for a bike light... maybe pull them out of the plastic housing to make a smaller package...

k

Cheers , that is not an option for me as I do need them to still work in the cordless drill for my work.
I will just have to make a reliable connector for the lights .

what is the new A123 ??

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is the new A123 ??

A123 Systems manufactures the rechargeable cells used in some of the high-end cordless power tools. Their technology basis is what we would call "safe lithium ion" chemistry. Electrically speaking, the A123s can take a heck of a beating (extremely high discharge and recharge rates).

The tradeoff is lower capacity... the 18650 sized A123 cells have about 1,100 mAh capacity compared to standard Li-ion, which are rated up to 2,600 mAh.

I don't see any reason not to use a Makita battery pack as a bike light power source. They're a rugged, lightweight battery. You'll have to figure out a way to build a "shoe" to hold the battery in place, but from the pictures I've seen, it looks like a DIY job.