SSC P7 + Big Reflector (Beam Shot Added)

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_3338.jpg

Modded DHS heatsink with larger lead holes and centering ridges removed.

IMG_3326.jpg

Side by side comparison with stock Mag reflector on the left and mysterious 2.5" reflector on the right

IMG_3324.jpg

Bulb opening end cut off, reamed, and sanded

IMG_3344.jpg

Reflector mounted on heatsink. Bulb protruded approximately 10mm inside reflector

IMG_3342.jpg

Another angle

IMG_3341.jpg

Here is the secret. Reflector is being held together with Blu Tack :)

Despite several members have tried P7 with Mag reflectors with good results, I wanted to see the how far can it throw with bigger reflector. So I begin to search and found this plastic reflector from local flashlight with bulb end opening very close to P7 which require only slight reaming. I first cut bulb end of as you would in Mag reflector leaving approximately 1mm at the end.

Heat sink is DHS. I drilled out 3mm (you can use 1/8 bit) lead wire holes and and removed aluminum from the outer edges with Dremel (to form half-circle hole as in picture) and also removing 2 centering ridges. Next step is soldering lead wires to the LED and mount it with AA.

I use fully charged single 17670, measuring 4.12V, to light up the P7 by holding battery and wires with index finger and a thumb. Please bare in mind that this is just to test the reflector as I have no host light. When I first saw the light, it makes me giggles and speachless. Now I understand why when someone first turn on modded flashlight just stared at the beam and dumbfounded. The hot spot is very intense, and brightness blew away my quad Cree P4. Talking about side spill, Oh my goodness isn't that bright. Side spill is the brightest I have ever seen, or maybe I don't see much. This reflector can throw further than my Ultrafire WF600 xenon bulb. This is very bright from single direct drive emitter. I'll have beam shot tonight. last night was too much fun forgot all about taking pictures. Lastly, heatsink gets quite warm after 15 seconds.

Reflector Information
Diameter: 2.5" (inside diameter)
Height: 1.5"
Material: Some sort of plastic
Beam quality: Pretty decent no artifacts but small donut hole similar to Lux V but much smaller.
Hot spot size: approximately 7" from 2 meter distance

Cheers,
Setapong

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SSC P7 + Big Reflector

i thought the big reflector is the OSTAR from Fraen or it looks similiar to that :thinking:
anyway looking forward to your beamshot and i still have one of your HS just itchy for the P7 but i shall wait for the warmer tint such as CSVOH or CSVOI :devil:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

To those who build a P7, how bright is it? is it brighter than Penta Cree @1.2A? everyone seems to indicate that P7 is brighter then 4 cree light.

thanks.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good job on the mod, hope you make a head to go with it.

I am almost sure that the best throw will come from a 2.5 Fivemega throwmaster reflector, I will mod this reflector in the future once there are WO bins available and use 2 DB 1500 in parallel in a 2 Li-ion C body for 3 amps to the led.

How are the C heatsinks for the P7 going H22A? Are you going to add more metal for better heat management? Copper? Anyways just do a small pedestal so the led will go thru the reflector opening.

Thanks!

AlexGT

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

To those who build a P7, how bright is it? is it brighter than Penta Cree @1.2A? everyone seems to indicate that P7 is brighter then 4 cree light.

thanks.
A P7 is basically four P4s in parallel, packed very closely together. The output of a P7 compared to that of four Crees is dependent on their bins. Given equal room for reflectors/optics, I'd say that a P7 would have better throw than four Crees or P4s.

Nice mod, H22A! I'm still waiting for a good (more efficient than Ostars) multi-die package with the dice in series, as we've already got lots of drivers for that.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SSC P7 + Big Reflector (Beam Shots Added)

IMG_3346.jpg

Ambient light

IMG_3350.jpg

This baby is bright. Those tall grall is approximately 100' away. Donut hole is clearly visible in the middle of the hot spot, to me it is insignificant. I really like the side spill, Look at wall in the foreground.

IMG_3351.jpg

Beamshot on a yellowish wall about 2 meter distance. Hot spot is very intense with very small donut hole not visible in this picture.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good job on the mod, hope you make a head to go with it.

I am almost sure that the best throw will come from a 2.5 Fivemega throwmaster reflector, I will mod this reflector in the future once there are WO bins available and use 2 DB 1500 in parallel in a 2 Li-ion C body for 3 amps to the led.

How are the C heatsinks for the P7 going H22A? Are you going to add more metal for better heat management? Copper? Anyways just do a small pedestal so the led will go thru the reflector opening.

Thanks!

AlexGT

I'm thinking of solid slug with no hole on the bottom. Pedestal size will remain the same for both Cs and Ds, therefore, no worry to those with stock mag reflector.

Cheers,
Setapong

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast

A P7 is basically four P4s in parallel, packed very closely together. The output of a P7 compared to that of four Crees is dependent on their bins. Given equal room for reflectors/optics, I'd say that a P7 would have better throw than four Crees or P4s.

Nice mod, H22A! I'm still waiting for a good (more efficient than Ostars) multi-die package with the dice in series, as we've already got lots of drivers for that.

Thanks, Tigerhawk. To me P7 is much more efficient than Ostar and you can light it up with single Li-ion battery. Hopefully someone would come up with small reflector possibly 27mm for smaller light applications.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
good job!:thumbsup:
may the hole be caused becouse the LED isn't in the focal point of the reflector?
If yes I yhink you can fix it using spacer or sending it a bit...

X_Marine

Enlightened
Just received 2 today and am anxious to test them out.

Thanks for your valued opinions on it's performance..

Now get back to work on your new heat-sink for us.. :nana: :D

Thanks Setapong
X/BillyD..

Latest posts