I can't ever understand why people would go out in the dark without a light on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to an outdoor wedding recently. It started around 5pm and was going strong to 9 / 10pm.

It was outdoors in a remote location, so the parking lot was dirt without any lighting, and there were no big lights near the party area - mostly just smaller christmas type lights.

When we were getting ready to leave, I turned on my L2D-CE Q5 to make sure we didn't leave anything at the table, and used it to highlight the walk back to the car through the dark parking lot.

I heard several people proclaim "hey that's a great idea, to bring a flashlight!" as I was walking to the car.

I was the only one out of the 200 or so people to bring a flashlight (I had 3 flashlights on me :) ).

I will never understand how people can go out in the dark and not carry a flashlight. The first thing I do when I go out in the afternoon or early evening is check to make sure I have my flashlight. Then I check to make sure I have my wallet and cellphone and keys. In that order.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Yes.... it's always amazing... and yet somehow never surprising either :rolleyes:

But did anyone notice how bright the light was you were using? Any cool comments? And what were those other lights on you at the time? :D

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Most people don't think bad things will happen to them and don't plan for emergencies. My girlfriend pokes fun at me when I take lights with me in broad daylight. I just tell her you never know what will happen to take you away from the things you need, so you better have them with you. What gets me is the people who have been through an emergency and needed a light that they didn't have and STILL don't carry one.:candle::poke:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes.... it's always amazing... and yet somehow never surprising either :rolleyes:

But did anyone notice how bright the light was you were using? Any cool comments? And what were those other lights on you at the time? :D
Yes the bride's parents were like "holy cow that's a bright light!" when I turned it on.

I had my trusty Fenix L2D-CE Q5, Leatherman Monarch, and 2AA Maglite LED conversion. I ended up loaning the Monarch to the bride's party so they could walk through the dirt lot without dirtying their clothes. :twothumbs

Burgess

Flashaholic
Nice job, LED-holic. :thumbsup:

Really cool, when you realize

that your L2D-CE was probably the BRIGHTEST

flashlight ANY of 'em had EVER seen !

:wtf:

Bet they couldn't believe how small it was, eh ?

:goodjob:

These are certainly great times to be a Flashaholic !

What a shame that most folks simply don't "get it".

:shakehead

_

pbs357

Enlightened
In the gun community, they're called "sheeple." The vast, common masses that go with the flow and and go "BAAAA" in unison at things that are dissimilar to them, even if it makes logical sense, like bringing a flashlight to an event in remote location.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once was deep in Carlsbad Cavern and used my aaa Peak in a dark spot on the otherwise reasonably lit trail. Basically the comments were "hey - that's a good idea to bring a flashlight if your're going down in a cave....."

Some folks never get it. Like the guy who carries his automobile escape tool/window breaker in the trunk.

greenstuffs

Banned
My sister never thought about the necessity of a flashlight until this years ice storm hit us and the power went out, or when she needs to store something in the attic now she conveniently claimed my malkoff 3D drop in . I'd received a call from her asking me to lend some of my lights.
Usually you don't need it until you need one.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Good story. It reminded me of a time when I had left a small concert with my GF. The parking lot was all dirt and pitch black because it was out in the suburbs. People were stumbling and stepping in mud because they couldn't see. I had a button cell key chain light, an LODCE and L2 on me. The L2 illuminated a huge wide path and provided light for several groups of people to see. I was the only person out of hundreds that had a light. Non-flashoholics accuse us of being strange....I think they're the one's one aren't "with it."

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand the people who go on hikes without a light. The trail to Half Dome in Yosemite is full of them. It's a 18 mile hike and people just assume they will be off the trail by dusk. In this day and age it is down right irresponsible. There are so many small LED lights and headlamps available that even AAA Magazine recommends your hiking kit have a light.

BIGIRON, I too was one of the few people in Carlsbad Caverns who had light with me. The only other person with a light was my wife.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
youre asking a bunch of people who EDC maybe 3 lights in brightly lit buildings, and day time, etc.....why people dont bring lights when its dark?
youre not going to find an answer here...:lolsign:

Crenshaw

PayBack

Enlightened
I had a cheap LED 3x AAA with me when the company I was working for had it's closing down dinner. It was in a dark restaruant with some candle lighting. Being fussy I used my light to see what I was eating.. soon everyone was asking me to shine my light on this or that....

So then I say "so who's laughing now aye! Who's talking about me and laughing at me behind my back now!! WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!!"

To which they replied they never did... so I guess it was just paranoia.... :D

However back on track I've seen it many times myself. People I've even given torches to complaining they can't see cos it's dark.

Last edited:

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
I went to an outdoor wedding recently. It started around 5pm and was going strong to 9 / 10pm.

It was outdoors in a remote location, so the parking lot was dirt without any lighting, and there were no big lights near the party area - mostly just smaller christmas type lights.

When we were getting ready to leave, I turned on my L2D-CE Q5 to make sure we didn't leave anything at the table, and used it to highlight the walk back to the car through the dark parking lot.

I heard several people proclaim "hey that's a great idea, to bring a flashlight!" as I was walking to the car.

I was the only one out of the 200 or so people to bring a flashlight (I had 3 flashlights on me :) ).

I will never understand how people can go out in the dark and not carry a flashlight. The first thing I do when I go out in the afternoon or early evening is check to make sure I have my flashlight. Then I check to make sure I have my wallet and cellphone and keys. In that order.

Well... I have a photon micro light on my key chain, and a Fenix LOD Q4 in my pocket day or night... I keep 3 other lights in my car and 1 lantern... When I go for walks in the evening I have a glo-toob lithium around my neck and a SureFire 9P with the SureFire P60L lamp, and the Defender Bezel from a 6P on it. I also keep a Kimber Pepper spray on me when I am out for my walks... I live in LA what can I say...

exoduster18

Newly Enlightened
I don't go out in the light without a flashlight.....So I don't understand how anybody could go out into the dark without on either.....LOL.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you have to admit, the time anyone NEED a light, especially in the city, is quite rare. Before I joined cpf I got through 24 years of my life without carry any light. Now I have two or three on me, but they are really not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.