Where to get Gentos Lantern

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
Yep, looks cool!

If you Google it comes up at a lot of sites such as this one (translated), mostly in Japan:

http://translate.google.com/transla...refox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=5Ek

Hope the link comes out, if not it's at murachi.com.

I think from what I can see it advertises for 280 lumens with a runtime of 72 hours. Can't make our the batteries although it takes 3. It lists for about 5000 yen which is about 50 bucks U.S., 380 HK. Also says "warm eye colors" led chips.

Alan, seeing that you live in HK, maybe you might have access to us before any of us on this side of the Pacific. If you do I'd like to hear how you like it.

If we're lucky on this side maybe it'll be re-badged and we can check it out.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, looks cool!

If you Google it comes up at a lot of sites such as this one (translated), mostly in Japan:

http://translate.google.com/transla...refox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=5Ek

Hope the link comes out, if not it's at murachi.com.

I think from what I can see it advertises for 280 lumens with a runtime of 72 hours. Can't make our the batteries although it takes 3. It lists for about 5000 yen which is about 50 bucks U.S., 380 HK. Also says "warm eye colors" led chips.

Alan, seeing that you live in HK, maybe you might have access to us before any of us on this side of the Pacific. If you do I'd like to hear how you like it.

If we're lucky on this side maybe it'll be re-badged and we can check it out.

I only found the Hong Kong manufacturer who make this lantern but not retailer:-(

Alan

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it the other day. I am quite please with it overall.

Nice solid build. It has a useable metal bail covered in rubber/plastic and it lays down around the globe ala Coleman. The output, which I have no idea if it's 300 lumens, is very bright. It definitely rivals 4D fluoro lanterns for sure. The light source is 3 leds under a diffuser dome. In addition to this dome, the lantern also has a conical diffuser that catches and disperses the led output. There is also the diffuser globe itself; so, there are 3 different diffuser surfaces at work here! Needless to say, the beam output doesn't have many artifacts to speak of...

The entire globe can be easily unscrewed to expose the led dome, and the unit can be hung upside down as a tent/area light. The output of this lantern sends more light upwards than downwards. Without the globe, the dome emits 180 degrees. Tint is on the cool side (I was hoping it would be warmer, more towards the incan side).

Besides alk Ds, it runs quite well on nimh Ds or AAs (in D holders) for the rechargeable option. There is a green "find me" led that flickers quite dimly every 5 sec or so. The 3 main leds can be set to hi and low. If you leave the lantern on for a few seconds, it turns off with the next button press instead of cycling the settings. It does have strobe, but you have to hold the switch down for a couple of settings to access it, keeping it out of the way, which is nice. Low setting is probably around one-third brightness, very useable and long-running.

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
Good review Phaserburn. I see in another post you have the Brunton Polaris. Did you have a chance to compare them yet?

I was about to order the Rayovac but shipping to my neck of the woods is about as much as the lantern itself. Have to wait for a USPS shipper.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review. While it is hard to verify its 300lm claim, would you say it's brightest LED based lantern you come across?

TIA.

Alan