Atwoods

paulr

Flashaholic
I like the idea of these small cool tools and I keep looking at CPFMP posts for them, but I haven't seen one yet that I think I'd really use much. What is the fascination with them about? Anyone have particular favorites, especially in the smaller ones?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I prefer the micro card, but in all honesty they mostly have more aesthetic appeal than practical usage for me. I still like 'em, though.

Picture030Medium.jpg

Picture027Medium.jpg

Picture025Medium.jpg

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of these small cool tools and I keep looking at CPFMP posts for them, but I haven't seen one yet that I think I'd really use much. What is the fascination with them about? Anyone have particular favorites, especially in the smaller ones?

atwoods are elegant in their simplicity, a fine combination of form and function. very collectable with lots of different models and styles available. i went for "users" and thus kept just the ones i would use regularly, and sold off the rest. bladed atwoods are rarer and harder to get usually. even the newer ones will be tough to get, youll have to be refreshing at the right time. expect to pay a premium on the 2ndhand market for them.

my favorite is the Prybaby XL and Mini Prybaby XL. then the V-Notch Booger. the others i kept are a 1st gen Bermuda Triangle in blue, and a flat Ti gasbaby in my wallet.

great stuff, love the tools and the innovation and quality and durability. its just the supply thats lacking :eek: prepare to get hooked!

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mind picking up a prybaby, however does the gasbaby feel "less solid" since it has the hex/oxygen holes worked into the body?

Mayo

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mind picking up a prybaby, however does the gasbaby feel "less solid" since it has the hex/oxygen holes worked into the body?

Mayo

the "flat Ti" ones are only suitable for small jobs, as stiff as they are for as thin as they are, they are still not strong enough for "real" prying tasks. however, even the gasbaby with all its holes is strong enough for pretty much anything. i definitely prefer the gasbaby (G2 Mini especially) over the standard ones.

but my fave is still the XL, that "Xtra Leverage" really goes a long way!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Atwood tools are works of Art that can come in handy in certain situations. But they are so wildly popular that prices are through the roof.

I would have loved to own a prybaby. But most likely will be getting a mini prybar from CountyCom or perhaps modifying one from Home Depot.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess its like some of these custom torches on CPF, don't look at the price, just take the plunge...:green:

been snooping round EDCF and I would like to make a keychain separate from my car/house and I think a Gasbaby would be awesome!

Great info on usage Hoople! I am a sucker for Ti(like everyone else!) however steel sounds like the way to go, as I am only getting ONE Atwood.

Mayo

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I can't think of the last time I wanted to pry something (other than tiny stuff like staples or split rings, for which a pocket knife is fine), so I don't know what I'd do with a prybaby. Any other suggestions?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can't think of the last time I wanted to pry something (other than tiny stuff like staples or split rings, for which a pocket knife is fine), so I don't know what I'd do with a prybaby. Any other suggestions?

Using an Atwood tool, instead of fingernails, to open the blades on traditional folding knives.

Aloft

Enlightened
I have a few Atwood articles, and as previous posters attest, they are as much works of art as they are practical tools. I have a couple "Skeeter" knives, a couple prybabies, and two of his "Tactical Whistles". All seem to be first class construction as well as practical for their intended use. I don't see myself using some of the more specialized tools that he offers, but they still have an undeniable "cool factor". Also, when I emailed Mr. Atwood with some questions, he was very quick to respond with very thorough answers.

That being said, Atwood tools are not cheap. That's been a topic of debate on these forums IIRC, as well as some other gadget forums whose membership has a special relationship with such stuff. "To each his own", I say ... I've never been sorry I bought my Atwoods. Another thing about Atwoods is that it seems that if you are not "in" on a buy of one of his production runs, you probably won't find what you seek; they sell out fast! He seems to make what he wants, when he wants ... I'll say this is the right of the artist to self-expression, but it can be frustrating for someone who just wants one tool. More mainline tools like knives or plain prybabies seem very scarce in availability. I checked his website today, and when I clicked on the "Available Tools" page, all that was 'available' was ... "International Shipping"!

He posts a blog, IIRC, and on it he lays out his plans for future production. That's probably the best way to "lie in wait" to get a tool you might want before they're all sold.

Aloft

Enlightened

Paulr ... I keep a small prybaby on my keychain. It's been very useful for prying up staples, fixing the Mother-in-Law's wheelchair, and various other prying tasks. But I was surprised how many times the bottle opener got used ... far more than I ever thought. Yep, there are still some beer bottles that DON'T have twist off tops yet! For the prying though, I don't carry a knife, since I work at the airport, and that's a no-no. And I've forgotten a few times that I had a small knife in my pocket (Atwood's "Skeeter", in fact), and had to go to that small Mail Station and pay $$ to mail it back home to myself. The Prybabies look just like regular bottle openers and don't attract any attention.

paulr

Flashaholic
I agree that a bottle opener is handy but I'm ok with a simple one or a SAK (although I usually don't have a SAK on me these days). I do like the Atwood concept and I'm financially ok with springing for one or two interesting ones. I'm just not captivated by the tiny pry bar. Maybe I lack imagination but I don't think I'd use it much. So I'm wondering what other ones are out there.

da.gee

Enlightened
I find, like when I began to carry flashlights, that you find uses for the tool that you may not have considered. I have a G2 Mini Pry Baby, and it has come in handy many times. Mostly for the bottle opener but several times using it as a screwdriver or prying open a small battery door on some device etc. It is so small as to be not noticed in the pocket so I don't even think about it.

I had a cool Ti psychedelic Atwood tool (don't remember which one) but sold it. I'm not a collector.

maxray

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nibble and a Sharkbite. I really like the format of these tools - with the nod going towards the Nibble due to its smaller size. I don't EDC it, as my keychain and pockets are all full, but it is in semi-regular rotation...especially if I am headed to a party where a conversation-starting bottle opener might be appropriate! :)

While the prying capabilities of this tool definitely exist - I usually have a County Comm Micro Widgy around. http://www.countycomm.com/WIDGYMICRO.htm

2316966177_05d6e5c381.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
I looked at peteratwood.com for a while several months ago, but more recently it's been hung whenever I've tried.

the_Namja

Newly Enlightened
If you are really want something from Peter, you can always email him. Sometimes he has some "loose" tools that he has made but does not have enough to post on his website yet. He will gladly offer them to you.