Why FENIX lights have no memory mode?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it more expensive to add memory mode into fenix lights? I don't recall seeing any lights from fenix have memory modes (I could be wrong). I am hoping they will put a memory mode on the upcoming modes like the L0D, P series...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think any of them do.

Maybe so it's more predictable. So every time you have the light off for a bit, you will know what mode it will turn on with.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the strobe and s.o.s. it'd be a pain having to go through all those modes everytime, especially the L0D. My C-LE v2 has memory and I have a love/hate relationship with it.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly memory mode is a poor substitute for a good UI.

The new LiteFlux LFX5T will have memory mode but it seems to have a very good UI that would eliminate any need for memory.

mighty82

Enlightened
I think most people don't want a memory function in the fenix lights. I can choose to turn it on at high or low without having to turn it on and change the modes first.

If I in a rare occasion i would need the medium or high in stead of low and high, I just tap the switch once or twice. If fenix started putting memory into the twist and tailswitch lights I would never buy one of them again. Would be kind of okay in the twist only lights though.

pbs357

Enlightened
+1, 2, 3, 4!

I like the current no-memory format.

With the current setup, you can turn on in the lowest mode or in the turbo/highest mode depending on where you have the bezel turned. In user mode, its just a quick tap or tap-tap to get to various levels of output but it is 100% predictable. I'd hate to forget what mode a memory light was left in, only to have it blast on when I need low light (like a movie theater) or vice-versa.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Memory mode would probably compromise reliability of the flashlight. What would happen if the memory were to get corrupted, what mode would the flashlight start in? It would probably not light up at all, requiring some form of reset procedure.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got my 1st light with memory mode the memory mode override the mode switching. I will try different soft presses and only 1 in 10 will move to the next mode. I got stuck in strobe on the 1st day for a good 5 minutes. Unfortunately it is a 400+ lumens SSC-P7 torch. I think I got the hang of mode changing that light now but it was a bad experience.
Oh yeah, the memory likes to default to high even if I shut down in low. And the next mode is -you guessed it - strobe.

With the Fenix I do not have to go to strobe or SOS unless I need them (I have not used them so far). With a multimode with memory if there is a need to change from high to low and later back again I have no choice but to cycle through them.

Gado

Newly Enlightened
I like the fact that my L1D has no memory. I always like to start in low and If I need high I could go from off to high in about 2 seconds. The things you do with a flashlight when your bored :D.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems pretty unanimous - memory mode is undesirable.

Are there anyone with flashlight that have memory mode that like this feature?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It seems pretty unanimous - memory mode is undesirable.

Are there anyone with flashlight that have memory mode that like this feature?

Depends on how many modes the light has.

I modded a light(well, just a driver swap) so it has memory and three modes, low, medium, and high.

I always have it either set to high or low depending on the near future situation.

Wattnot

Enlightened
My first purchase, after discovering this illumination wonderland (that's not sarcasm, btw, I really do like it here!) was the P2D Q5. I was all set to buy the Olight T10 until I read how the memory mode works.

How do I know what I'm going to need the next time I turn on the light? Why do I have to remember? I can see for some, they might like this, but for me, I would just rather know "hey baby, it's comin on FULL BORE" or low or whatever it was designed to do.

But that's me. I love Subway sandwiches but I HATE ORDERING THEM because they ask too many questions!! Just make me a sandwich!!! There is an analogy in there somewhere.

mighty82

Enlightened

Marduke ,

How does memory cause you cycling through unnecessary modes.

Memory is so you don't have to . :huh:
Yes, in a tailswitch only flashlight with many modes it's okay with memory. But it's no point on the fenix where you can turn the head and choose if you want to start at high level or low level. If you turn a flashlight with memory off at high or medium or something, you have to fire it up, blind yourself, and cycle through the modes to get back to low.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Marduke ,

How does memory cause you cycling through unnecessary modes.

Memory is so you don't have to . :huh:

Every time you want to use a different mode than what was remembered, you have to cycle through the whole list again, including the annoying strobe and SOS.

warlord

Enlightened
I was going to say the same thing. I have a 16mode driver and I use the "lo-med-hi" group as the default. I love the fact that I can have it come on a med every time. When I've switched it to either of the groups that has strobe and sos the memory mode pisses me off. Under those conditions I prefer no memory.

Lights without strobe or S.O.S :thumbsup: to memory

Lights with strobe or S.O.S. :thumbsdow to memory

Depends on how many modes the light has.

I modded a light(well, just a driver swap) so it has memory and three modes, low, medium, and high.

I always have it either set to high or low depending on the near future situation.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
a light with memory mode is more confusing then a light without one. I remember when i first got my MTE 20 mode (was it 20 mode? something like that) with memory. I couldnt for the life of me figure out if the memory was on or off, and whether i was switching right.also, it would be inherently easier to figure out a light that youve never used before, if it did not have memory mode.

i honestly find the memory mode in my Lf2X more of a hinderence then an advantage.

Crenshaw