Rechargeable cr123 question

Pontifex

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a Fenix P3D premium and a AW(?) Ultrafire charger with 2 rechargeable CR123a batteries from Fenix-Store.com.

This was my first "high-end" flashlight purchase. The flashlight is AWESOME!

There were no directions with the charger, so I'm kind of wondering where I can get them or if you guys have the same thing and could tell me about it?

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its quite simple really... when you load the batteries into the charging bay, just make sure that the polarities of the batteries match up with that of the charging bay.

Red light = charging, green light = ready. With the Ultrafire WF-139, the charging bays are independent, which means you can either charge 1 cell or 2 cells of different capacities and charge states.

I'm also certain that the WF-139 has some kind of polarity protection if you place the batteries into the bays incorrectly.

Pontifex

Newly Enlightened
Its quite simple really... when you load the batteries into the charging bay, just make sure that the polarities of the batteries match up with that of the charging bay.

Red light = charging, green light = ready. With the Ultrafire WF-139, the charging bays are independent, which means you can either charge 1 cell or 2 cells of different capacities and charge states.

I'm also certain that the WF-139 has some kind of polarity protection if you place the batteries into the bays incorrectly.

i have the 138.
when i put the batteries in, it kept flashing red and green and then after a little while, they turned solid green. i assumed that meant they were charging and then fully charged. I guess that's really all there is to it then?

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Pontiflex, you mentioned that you were looking for instructions on how to use the Ultrafire charger with the AW RCR123's and it looks like the following responses answered your question on the red / green lights. To reiterate, the lights on the charger will be red and alternate to green as it checks the voltage at intervals. Once it hits 4.2v, the light will be green to indicate charging is complete.

It's been mentioned before and it's worth mentioning again to you that when using the charger, you should remove the batteries as soon as the light turns green as this particular charger continue to trickle-charge even after the light turns green i.e. charger will not stop or terminate charging. It's damaging to Li-Ion to consistently overcharge them a great deal but it's also bad news as the battery could overheat and cause some damage.

Now, I don't want to scare you but it would be good to have the knowledge about Li-Ions so that you can make educated decisions about their use. While you don't have to keep an eagle-eye on the light and pull the batteries at the instant it turns green, you still don't want the batteries to be sitting in that state for a long time. I have both chargers mentioned in the thread (WF-138 and WF-139) and I tend to just keep them nearby when they are charging just to keep an eye on the process and I don't leave the house or go to bed during this process. Just my $0.02.

Btw, there are a number of other threads from new users of RCR123's and the thread below has a good introduction to using rechargeable Li-Ion batteries - it's a good read if you haven't already seen it... Note the section on 'Use and Safety of Li-Ion and charging guidelines': https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

Last edited: