Questions on RCR123

lengendcpf

Enlightened
Hi, I saw some RCR123 from Ebay.

rcr123.jpg

The battery is 3.0v and 1000mah.

The seller says that must wait half an hour after charging, else the voltage will be quite high. May I know how high is high? Also anyone using this battery, is it recommended?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Legendcpf,

A couple of warning flags went up as I read your post.

First of all, none of the R-CR123, 3 volt cells come anywhere close to having 1000 mAh of capacity.

Next, Li-Ion cells don't rapidly drop voltage after charging. You need to find out what the chemistry of the cells are, but even the A123 chemistry doesn't drop off just sitting there. It will drop off under load, but before it drops you run the risk of damage if your application can't handle a higher voltage.

My final red flag was raised because it is offered on eBay...

Ask the seller if they can provide you with a manufacturers data sheet. With that we may be able to better inform you of what is involved with these cells.

Tom

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to keep it safe and simple get AW protected batteries. I wouldn't waste my money on those ebay batteries.

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

Think I give it(the ebay ones) a miss..
You shouldn't. 1Ah can't be true and is definitely greatly exxagerated that alone would make me loose any trust. You could by from DX, they won't be much more expensive and still are somewhat known amongst us..

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
I have only limited experience with LiIon cells. But the poor reliability I've run into with even this limited number of cells leads me to not want to buy anymore other than those from AW or equivalent quality.