Overseas Carry Blade

Ctrain

Enlightened
Just wondering does anyone know the restrictions on what you can carry in your luggage on an international flight... I'm not talking carr-on I mean check in luggage... I'll be going from australia to UK... Just dont want anything confiscated.

Cheers

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've put ordinary folders into checked luggage before with no problems, but you never know these days. For more expensive knives, it'd probably be best to mail them to your destination separately, just in case they "grow legs" and "walk" out of your baggage "all by themselves."

I once read a travel tip that suggested bringing a flare gun and declaring it as a firearm, which will earn it a locked box and some paperwork, and putting your other valuables into the case with it. I don't know if it's still applicable/possible, but even if it was, I don't think I'd feel too comfortable doing that. :whistle:

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hi Ctrain,

I haven't been on long-haul flights, only within Europe but the restrictions for hold-luggage as far as I am aware are only to prevent risk to the flight (i.e. explosive or flammable components etc). Again, this is only in as much as I am aware, but there wouldn't be any problems in taking kitchen knives from one country to another so the same rule should apply to pocket knives (although the former should be in a locked case, I think your suitcase is enough).

I am sure you are aware of the law concerning carrying knives in the UK, from memory it is based around s.139 CJA 1988; for the 'pocket knife' exemption the blade must be folding (stipulated as non-locking by case law) with a blade length of less than three inches (76.2mm), further case law has indicated that this length relates to the sharpened edge and is not integrated in the case of serrated edges. You are not allowed to carry a pocket knife on school premises (s.139A) and if the knife is used in a manner which is considered to be "any article made or adapted for use to causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use" (i.e. offensive or defensive use) you will find yourself in very deep water.

I know you didn't ask about the knife law in the UK but I have added it for reference in case it is of any use, another reference is the Criminal Prosecution Service website http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/section12/chapter_c.html.

I hope you enjoy the UK.

Andrew