Flashlight and friend's mom

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, we went for a 4th of July road trip with some friends. Friend brought her mom and auntie. Car broke down. Called AAA. While waiting for AAA, we had a second vehicle. We transferred our bags to the second vehicle. Second vehicle's in-car light's were not bright enough. Out came my L2D 100Rb. Whoose !!! Let there be light! Friend's mom immediately said, that's a good light. Where did you get that? I told her you can only buy one online and I could buy it for you. So she said yes, go ahead and I'll pay you later.

Question:

The L2D's user interface may be a bit complicated for my friend's mom. What alternatives can you guys suggest? I need it as bright as the L2D but with a simpler user interface.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2T would be great.

One very important thing I've learned over the years -- get the money up front.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2T V2.0 would be another good choice.

Does your friend's mother know the price of the light?

mighty82

Enlightened
+1 for the L2T V2.0. I just got the L1T for my father, and he loves it. I had to get him some eneloops and a charger too. These lights does not work very well with alkalines.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2T would be great.

I wouldn't worry. Friend's mom paid for my dinner the night the car broke down.

Zenster

Enlightened
The L2T would be great.

Getting money up front wouldn't be a bad idea.
I was at an older friends house the weekend before last. My wife and I left late at night so I whooped out my 120P lit up at max bright. My friend was totally blown away and couldn't believe that a itty bitty little thing like that could make his Maglite look like a toy. I lit up the houses across the street and he thought I had a "searchlight".

Anyway, he said he NEEDED one of those, so I told him I should buy it for him because it has to come over the Internet (he's an older guy and doesn't even have a computer).
He said "You bet! Just give me the receipt and I'll pay you". He didn't even ask me what it would cost.

Well, he's retired so I thought about it the next day and had my wife call his wife to see if he's be OK with the $150+ price tag.
He ended up being just as blown away by the price as he was by the brightness. He "thought" it would be somewhere around $20... "just a little more than the Maglite".

So much for "give me a receipt and I'll pay you"...

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not do this? Price it out, including shipping, call her and ask if this is OK. That way everybody's on the same page and no one is surprised.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
the good thing about using your luxeon lights is upfront sell ability. If you like it you can take it. I try not to beat up my lights unless the one I bought was intended as a worklight. If it was I don't carry it around people and instead I carry "new looking" lights, but with older LEDs.
Now my GOOD lights are carried in the EDCC [every day concealed carry] mode, where I don't use it around most people, but the first lights I go to if I need it around family [or the gf to be]

Theres several luxeon lights [like the L2T or tthat are still quite formidable compared to the popular lights in nonflashaholic's houses. The lights are dim [to us] but bright to them, so why not make a few quick sales and lose a couple lights then have a reason to buy new ones?:twothumbs

Because people have a tendency to think lights are only worth $20-30:green:, I have to sell around that range, that included 2 sams club elements, my old inova XO2, my old XO3 [to someone who could careless that its a YA tint :barf: ], one inova X5, one used 2nd hand L0D-CE bought from the forum. Aside from the L0D-CE [which was a hard sell] I didn't need to give instructions on how to use them, only where to buy batteries [:twothumbs lighthound:twothumbs]

nonflashaholics could care less about your lights until they are in the dark, the moment they are "enlightened" should be the time your supposed to bring them in to the light and either sell or give them one. Thats how flashaholics are born in my opinion.

heck, I'm thinning my crowd like this, outdated [for us] lights are sold to acquaintainces, sometimes with pocket change. As to GOOD friends, up to now I've given away a SF G2, a SF E2e, several unopened streamlight styluses, 2 fenix L2Ps, a fenix Civictor and a fenix P1. as for neighbors who need light for subdivision blackouts, I still have quite a few eveready 2D kryptons that I don't expect to return:rolleyes:

you won't make much profit, but think of it as a good deed to those around you and room for new lights to come. :thumbsup:
Isn't this the duty of flashaholics? to enlighten others?:grin2:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not do this? Price it out, including shipping, call her and ask if this is OK. That way everybody's on the same page and no one is surprised.

Shipping is always free from Fenix Store and from LA Police Gear.

All those secret discount codes always complicate matters though.

Last edited:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, looks like my friend's mom is a techie and may be a flashaholic in the making.

I told her the flashlight name and she googled it herself and told me she will buy the light online herself without having to bother me.

Sounds like she knows what she is doing and I don;t think the user interface may be too complicated for her.

What do you guys think? Before you know it, she may be buying dozens of these bright lights!!!

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry. Friend's mom paid for my dinner the night the car broke down.
Exactly. Helping your friend's mom is like helping your friend. It's all good :) . You may also want to point her in the direction of the Muyshondt Aeon :) .

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D interface is in no way complicated. I don't know why anyone would think that...

It's a great light for your friend's mom!

mighty82

Enlightened
The L2D interface is in no way complicated. I don't know why anyone would think that...

It's a great light for your friend's mom!
For most people, everything except for on/off is complicated. Most people have never seen a multi mode light at all :laughing:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, looks like my friend's mom is a techie and may be a flashaholic in the making.

I told her the flashlight name and she googled it herself and told me she will buy the light online herself without having to bother me.

Sounds like she knows what she is doing and I don;t think the user interface may be too complicated for her.

What do you guys think? Before you know it, she may be buying dozens of these bright lights!!!
Tell her to come to CPF!

LED-holic & mighty82, the L2D is too much for most unenlightened folks - especially in the dark! Just about anyone that has used an L2D more than once will have no problem operating its UI though.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, I got her to get Eneloops with an Eneloop charger ;)

We got a perfect combo here!

She told me she will be using her light mainly during her travels. She is a retired widow who travels a lot all over the world. I am sure she is going to catch some attention when she fires her L2D Q5 in one of her destinations.