What Flashlight And Traffic Cone Combinations Would Be The Most Effective?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted above, what flashlight and traffic cone combinations would be the most effective?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried Maglite new style Magcharger LED with a white cone, Streamlight SL20 with a glow-in-the-dark cone and a SecuriLED RC6-IV with the OEM Fenix cone. I much prefer the SecuriLED combination because it the cone fits easy in the vest pocket or my backpack along with spare 18650 batteries.

Attachments

• D294AAB4-5A25-4688-8516-F61984DB2F2A.jpeg
    D294AAB4-5A25-4688-8516-F61984DB2F2A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Reactions: JAS

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
a Mag ML300 or ML50 is pretty effective with a red cone in strobe mode.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I would think red would be the most effective, and probably the bigger the better. I have a red one for my Fenix PD-35Tac, which fits on other similar sized Fenix lights, as well as Mini Maglites. It's not that large, maybe 6 inches long, but on the brighter settings it is super noticeable. It fits well in the center console of my truck, with a Fenix E35UE.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I think that the Dorcy Traffic wand is effective.
1707907607708.png

I bought this one, and a few of another brand, and they worked equally well. BUT the switch failed in one of the two cheaper units I bought. The switch on the Dorcy held up.

They are listed as 12 inch wand, they are really 20 inches long - it is the RED wand that is 12 inches. IMO they work well even in the day time, without necessarily being turned on. They have a blinky mode, but I have been told that blinkies are not a good idea, that somehow it distracts, and people get confused, so I use it with constant ON.

They are powered by 2 D cells. One can use adapters and eneloops, or lithiums if concerned about alky leakage.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer is:

D) None of the above.

I have a fat tire e-bike. I ride at night sometimes and I want 360 degree illumination.

I have a Streamlight Stinger that I converted to LED. I also have a so-called "glow-in-the-dark" traffic wand from before I retired from cop work. I also have a cordura nylon open top Stinger holster that I have attached to my Rambo Krusader 2.0. It does work pretty well.

However, my wife and I also have "summer" e-bikes. I am considering adding a similar light for her.

The Dorcy one in the snapshot above might be too tall, but I would have to check to confirm. Right now I can get on my bike and not hit the traffic cone with my foot. I taller traffic cone might be a problem.

On my wish list would be a flashlight that varies flash patterns on its own. I know that feature does exist because I have it on a very small Fenix that is out of production. It steps through several flash patterns on its own.

Now if Fenix, or anybody else for that matter, has a flashlight, that has a traffic cone available, that steps through various flash patterns, that would be pretty sweet.

And, yes, I do know that I am asking a lot. If it doesn't exist, then it doesn't exist.

It is the now discontinued Fenix RC09 that alternates between a slow and fast flash pattern.

Maybe that is what is referred to as the Fenix SOS mode.

Attachments

• Rambo Streamlight Stinger.jpg
    Rambo Streamlight Stinger.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Well in that case I would suggest something smaller like a "personal marker light". Glo-toob comes to mind. If you can find the lithium version on the second hand market that would be perfect as it has 7 variable light patterns to choose from. Their current offerings use a single AAA cell and offer 3 modes, high low and fast flash. There are lots of different versions of personal marker lights so the choice is yours. I think Olight, Fenix and Princeton Tec are quite common.

Depending on the laws were you are you might have to be careful about what colours you can mount on an e bike. Red blue and green may be prohibited, especially if your bike is classified as a motor vehicle. I would also avoid using a light with a specific SOS pattern since it is widely prohibited to display a false emergency signal. It might get you into trouble if you run across a cop having a bad day. Personally I would avoid a strobing light like Poppy suggested. I find them more of a distraction on bicycles because they are mounted too low.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a new product from Nextorch recently that I thought was gimmicky until I spoke with Nextorch and saw the product at the NRA show in Harrisburg PA recently.

LED bracelet

It might still be gimmicky but it has it's uses. Might work for you.

R

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Don't know if it's the most effective. But in a flashlight case for work, I keep an older Fenix PD35 Tac model and a Fenix red traffic cone for emergencies in the trunk of my car. It's very effective. But yeah, I don't have too many red cones for my flashlights.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened

I got one of these I will be trying out. I like the idea of having a flood light on the bottom so when I stick it in my vest, I can turn on the flood to read IDs and have some hands free light. Might also work well with a cone, who knows.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
why not use a bike light?

I have a Fenix BC30 LED Bike Light, Cygolite Hypershot 350 USB Rear Bike Light and a Nitecore HC90 headlamp.

I want 360 degree illumination because not all hazards are directly in front of or behind me.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fenix BC30 LED Bike Light, Cygolite Hypershot 350 USB Rear Bike Light and a Nitecore HC90 headlamp.

I want 360 degree illumination because not all hazards are directly in front of or behind me.
Maybe something like this would work?:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I got one of these I will be trying out. I like the idea of having a flood light on the bottom so when I stick it in my vest, I can turn on the flood to read IDs and have some hands free light. Might also work well with a cone, who knows.
I've had zero issue with Night Stick lights. A favorite with elevator repairmen and crane operators around my way.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe something like this would work?:

Thank you for the tip. I will probably buy one of those. They have a few different versions and some in orange, too.

Last edited: