my first build

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i am very excited but don't really know where to start. i'm temped to take apart a light a cpf friend build for me, and try to reverse engineer it. i have a basic idea from lurking but never have attempted this before. i'm building a multi reflector r2 maglight (i think), typical 4 or 5 led build, or even a p7 build if its not too much tougher, and if reflectors/optics are cheap. but i don't know about the electronics, i am a weak solder'er, and need a little coaching. maybe alot! i've done a search or two but i feel i need a "building flashlights for dummies!" can anyone give me some ideas on what to build, assembling a parts list, and better yet, a dc area neighbor. lol, that would be great, but i figure i'll have to get all my coaching online. can someone point me in the right direction.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't suggest one build over the other, but since you state "even a P7 if not too much tougher" I will say the P7 build will probably be much easier than a multi-emitter R2 build.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I give you a very very very important advice :grin2::

Always use flux when soldering.

I tried to solder one single contact for over an hour after I used flux it work the first time.I think the single P7 mod will be easier. Just try it. I did my first mod last week and I also just bought my next Maglite for modding :laughing:.

rayman

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a thread that may help with soldering.

I haven't soldered ever but am approaching my first build as I succumb to peer pressure. :naughty: One of the things I have been looking at for a first time is simplicity, especially with respect to soldering, so that I can be successful. Multiple emitters increases the amount of soldering along with complicating the build in other ways. More soldered connections = more chances for me to screw up. Good luck.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a thread that may help with soldering.

I haven't soldered ever but am approaching my first build as I succumb to peer pressure. :naughty: One of the things I have been looking at for a first time is simplicity, especially with respect to soldering, so that I can be successful. Multiple emitters increases the amount of soldering along with complicating the build in other ways. More soldered connections = more chances for me to screw up. Good luck.

I give you a good advice. Take the driver board from Der Wichtel. Because it's much bigger than the other driver boards. That's what I'll do.

rayman

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i'm ready to give this a try now. do you guys have any links for the parts or can at least help me compile a parts list i will need?
thanks,
jasonsmaglites

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
hey there. two weeks later i'm still having difficulty digging up the parts i need. since i haven't done this before i guess i'm not sure where to be looking. i've pm'ed h22 for heatsinks with no response. i'm now building 3 lights and i already have ssc p4 leds on the way.

1. magled sscp4 conversion (i already have a few terralux, this is for fun)
2. 3d direct drive ssc p4
3. p7 build, preferrably with 4d mag but i have a ton of 3d's lying around from black friday at lowes and home depot.

soo... i need help finding the right heatsinks. i guess its two different ones for the p4 vs. the p7. also is there anything else i need to know for building the p7. i guess different reflectors too. see i've NEVER bought a reflector before and dont know what to look for. i guess i want to go for throw since the p4 already has good flood and smooth beam. i need the glue and thermal heatsink stuff(also never bought before so dont know where to look) and it would be great if some of this stuff came from the same place to avoid shipping. can you guys steer me to the right places, especially if you can get me a link or two that would be great. thanks,
jasonsmaglites