oxyride batteries

paintballdad

Enlightened
Are Panasonic Oxyride batteries safe to use in AA led flashlights? They're suppose to last 2x longer than alkalines. Still have a few in my camera bag I want to use up. Thanks

Marduke

Flashaholic
Safe to use? Yes.

Worth using? Not really.

They are a marketing gimic. You'll still get much better performance out of L91's or NiMH

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
but aparently they do last longer, so i guess if he has a few lying around, why not, just be careful though, the nominal voltage on those things is 1.7v

Crenshaw

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Oxyrides don't last as long as the majority of alkalines, however they provide notably more voltage vs an alkaline cell during their lifespan. A good choice for your highest output lights where runtime isn't the primary concern.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info. I still have a couple of packs of these that were backups to my NiMh batteries for my Nikon SB800 flash. And since I don't shoot as much as I used to I might as well put these to good use.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,
Just a question: would these oxyride cells give a flatter discharge/output curve? Somewhat like NiMH for instance? So as to "regulate" unregulated lights?

Kind regards,
Joris

Light Sabre

Enlightened
Hello, have been lurking in CPF for a couple years now, but have never written a message/reply before. I did some battery tests a couple years ago because there were so many different battery types out there and wanted to know which ones were the biggest bang for the buck or lasted the longest, etc. IMO the oxyride's are made for high current short term use like in a digital camera. For long term continuous use (like in a long emergency situation) they are dismal. :shakehead I personally don't see any reason for their existance considering that we have NMH rechargeables around.