bought some surefire 3.0volt cr123's for my light , BUT?

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
There surefire batteries from lowes were 5 bucks a set. They say they are 3volt, not 3.7, does this mean that they will not make my light as bright as 3.7 volt batteries? I have some aw rcr123's on the way, I am thinking the higher the voltage of the batteries, the brighter the light right?

matt0

Enlightened
The ideal voltage really depends on the light itself...

SF123 batteries are meant for use in SureFire lights which are NOT designed for use with 3.7v RCR123 batteries (even though some still can)

Marduke

Flashaholic
It depends entirely on the light.

Some lights won't work at all on 3.7v Li-Ion cells, some are designed specifically for them, some are designed specifically for lithium primaries, but some work decently on Li-Ion also.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There surefire batteries from lowes were 5 bucks a set. They say they are 3volt, not 3.7, does this mean that they will not make my light as bright as 3.7 volt batteries? I have some aw rcr123's on the way, I am thinking the higher the voltage of the batteries, the brighter the light right?

You should mention what light it is you have and hope to make it brighter.

The short answer is: Incandescents will be somewhat brigher with a slight increase in voltage from a battery that can also deliver the current. However if you go to high you simply blow out the bulb. Cannot go over 5% of the bulb's rated voltage without taking a chance that it will go :poof:.

With an LED light, they all have driver circuits of some sort to regulate the power to the LED. In most cases more voltage will not make the light any brigher at all. The regulator keeps it constant. You may just get longer run time. However, a lot of rechargeable batteries actually have less energy capacity than the non rechargeable ones so you just get less run time and the ability to top off the charge on a regular basis.

So higher voltage does not equate to a brighter light in most cases.

Not to mention for regulated LED lights if you go over voltage from what the driver is rated for you can make that go :poof: and then have no light out as well, and its a lot harder to replace than a lamp.

Find out exactly what the lamp or LED module you are driving is designed to run on before you simply change to rechargeable batteries.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
the light is the new eagletac t10c2, it is meant to be ran on 3.7 volts. i was just wondering if I will lose some lumens running it on 3.0 surefires.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
the light is the new eagletac t10c2, it is meant to be ran on 3.7 volts. i was just wondering if I will lose some lumens running it on 3.0 surefires.
You seem to be mistaken about what batteries it is designed to run on. The light is meant to be run on 3.0 V CR123A batteries like the Surefire ones you bought, but it can optionally be run on 3.7 V protected rechargeable Li-ion cells. It will not be any brighter on the 3.7 V cells because it is a regulated light, and the run time will be shorter due to the lower capacity (but that of course doesn't matter so much when you can recharge them).