Braun Triumph or Sonicare Flexcare (any dentists out there)

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been sold on electric toothbrushes ever since my first Braun. My last purchase a few years ago was the Braun Excel 3D. The battery is finally starting to go bad and the brush is loosing power.

I have read a number of reviews on both brushes but have never owned a Sonicare. I just purchased the Sonicare Flexcare with UV sanitizer based on a number of very positive reviews, but am now wondering if I done the right thing. I have always been happy with my Brauns. Sometimes being a creature of habit is not a bad thing. Looking for opinions here.

Thanks

Bill

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I am not a dentist, amd have no credibility, but.....

My dentist and hygenist are both very happy with my teeth. I use the braun 3d with the triumph heads. A minute with the waterpik completes the morning routine.

Daniel (too much info?)

K A

Enlightened
I have a Braun Oral B Professional Care toothbrush myself. It's battery is also starting to loose its charge but it still lasts almost 5 days before I need to recharge it. So I will still be using it for a while until the battery really starts to go dead.

I havn't been looking around for a new toothbrush yet. But so far I am happy with Braun and will probably buy another one when the time comes.

I am used to the Brauns small circular brush heads. I don't think I could go back to a standard toothbrush anymore. They just feel too BIG now. So with that in mind I don't think I would be able to use that Soniccare one. Looks like a standard brush head in size almost.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am used to the Brauns small circular brush heads. I don't think I could go back to a standard toothbrush anymore. They just feel too BIG now. So with that in mind I don't think I would be able to use that Soniccare one. Looks like a standard brush head in size almost.

This is one of my main concerns. I too am used to the small circular head of the Braun. However the new Flexcare Sonicare has a much smaller head for tight spaces. Anyway, this is one of the reasons I'm afraid I shouldn't of strayed.

Again, the new Flexcare is getting rave reviews by owners and they are clearly stating that it beats the Braun brushes in plaque removal. It doesn't look like there is a CLEAR winner.

Bill

Empath

Flashaholic
For the ultrasound cleaning, the Sonicare's 30,000 hertz performs better than Braun's 20,000. I'd prefer Brauns brush heads, and design of handles. Also, for straight mechanics and brushes, Braun wins hands-down.

Still, there are some that consider the superior ultrasonics as a sufficiently superior cleaning system, enough to overide the Braun niceties.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the ultrasound cleaning, the Sonicare's 30,000 hertz performs better than Braun's 20,000. I'd prefer Brauns brush heads, and design of handles. Also, for straight mechanics and brushes, Braun wins hands-down.

Still, there are some that consider the superior ultrasonics as a sufficiently superior cleaning system, enough to overide the Braun niceties.

I guess I will find out in a couple of days when the Sonicare arrives. I've got a funny feeling that the mechanics and brushes (you mention) are going to do me in and I'm going to want my Braun back. I think the only thing going is the new Flexcare has a Lithium-Ion battery and a much smaller handle and brush head than all the ones before it.

thanks

Bill

unnerv

Enlightened
Just a vote for the otherside, sonicare wins hands down. I started with a sonicare for 5 years, then switched to the braun for two and just last year switched back to sonicare. Why you ask? While the braun was easier to get into the tightspots, espcially the inside of my front teeth, I was having problem with a lot of tartar build up near the gum line that I did not have with the sonicare. My last dentist visit was a few weeks ago and my dentist said that I had no tartar for her to scrap off at all. It was the quickest cleaning I had ever had :grin2:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a vote for the otherside, sonicare wins hands down. I started with a sonicare for 5 years, then switched to the braun for two and just last year switched back to sonicare. Why you ask? While the braun was easier to get into the tightspots, espcially the inside of my front teeth, I was having problem with a lot of tartar build up near the gum line that I did not have with the sonicare. My last dentist visit was a few weeks ago and my dentist said that I had no tartar for her to scrap off at all. It was the quickest cleaning I had ever had :grin2:

Reading these types of reviews on line is what caused me to switch and order the Sonicare. No tarter at all. That is a tall order for any toothbrush. Very interesting. Thank You!

Bill

unnerv

Enlightened
Glad I could help. Also if you do find that the standard head to be hard to get into the tight places, they make a smaller childs head that is about the same size as the braun head. My wife uses that one on her sonicare as she finds it easier to get to the inside teeth with it.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2003 vintage Sonicare pooped out after less than two years, in spite of not overcharging the cells. Two, cheap, Mexican, AA cells are potted inside so even if you cut the unit apart, the cells are impossible to replace.

The customer service was crap and the $90 was a huge waste. Hopefully my experience was the exception, because, otherwise, I liked the toothbrush.

Good luck.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am on my second sonicare, my first lasted over 6 years. My last several cleanings consisted of the hygienist talking to me for 15 minutes then asking what flavor polish I wanted. :D

shakeylegs

Enlightened
My dentist stays on the cutting edge of dental care. He is heavily recruited by dental conventions as a lecturer on the latest technologies. He recommends the sonicare unit you mention. He's so positive about it's benefits that he offers them at cost to his clients. My daughter has had hers for two + years (IIRC) and I've had mine for 9 months. Both of us experienced a marked increase in dental health. And neither of us has had any problems with the units.
The other piece of technology he recommends is the "hydrofloss" water pick. My wife got 6 years out of her first unit, and is now on her second. She never sits with the hygienist for more than ten minutes a visit. That thing is remarkably effective at cleaning between teeth and under bridges.
I think you will like the sonicare once you've used it.
And don't forget to floss.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2003 vintage Sonicare pooped out after less than two years, in spite of not overcharging the cells. Two, cheap, Mexican, AA cells are potted inside so even if you cut the unit apart, the cells are impossible to replace.

The original model Sonicare had a poor charging system that always managed to kill the batteries after 2 years, just as you experienced. But I've been using a Sonicare Elite (a later model) for almost 4 years now, and it still works perfectly.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've been using a sonicare for about 3 years and it's been great. I don't know how the cleaning compares to the Braun but according the the specs the sonicare cycles at a higher hertz.

The problem I have now is that it's the older generation and the battery is dying. Anyone know what kind it takes or has anyone opened theirs up?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just received the unit (Sonicare Flexcare) and they recommend charging it for a minimum of two hours before use. I should be able to try it out in about 15 minutes. It does seem to run much faster than my Braun and the small brush is much smaller than I expected. Almost the size of the Braun. I have to believe it will work better. The Flexcare is their top of the line unit and it has a lithium ion battery. So hopefully there won't be any battery issues.

Thank you everyone for you experience with your electronic toothbrush.

Bill

Patriot

Flashaholic
Well I just received the unit (Sonicare Flexcare) and they recommend charging it for a minimum of two hours before use. I should be able to try it out in about 15 minutes. It does seem to run much faster than my Braun and the small brush is much smaller than I expected. Almost the size of the Braun. I have to believe it will work better. The Flexcare is their top of the line unit and it has a lithium ion battery. So hopefully there won't be any battery issues.

Thank you everyone for you experience with your electronic toothbrush.

Bill

Did you get a good deal on it? I gather that it was ordered online?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you get a good deal on it? I gather that it was ordered online?

I feel I did. It was less expensive than I expected to pay. List price was $179.00 and Almost everyone was at $149.00 plus shipping. At Drugstore.com the price was $144.00 + free shipping. Then when you spend over $75.00 you got an instant $20.00 off. Final price was $124.00 and free shipping. Even my local Walmart was at $149.00 and I would of had to pay tax.

Although I feel I got a good deal, $124.00 is a lot to pay for a toothbrush.

Hope I didn't brake any rules by mentioning vendors and prices. If so I'm sorry and I will remove them.

Bill

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost bought the sonicare at costco. They have a 2Xpack, for couples, but I really only need one. The nice thing is costco will take it back whenever the battery poops out.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The average Li-ion battery only has a life of 3 years, whether used or not. The newer NiMh will last a lot longer than that if they are kept between 60 to 90 percent charge.

Daniel

Good point. But I can live with 3 years. Especially if my teeth are relatively plaque free for those 3 years.

I have had a chance to use the Sonicare over the last two days. It is completely different than the Braun. One thing I found out instantly; you don't brush your teeth with your mouth open with the Sonicare. If you do you have a mess everywhere. 2 minutes brushing, 30 minutes cleaning the bathroom. lol. It does not have that scrubing action I'm used with the Braun, but I do feel my teeth are cleaner with the Sonicare. The Braun is definitely easier to manipulate around in the mouth though.

According to Sonicare you can return their brushes upto 28 days after purchase with no questions asked for a full refund. So I've still got time to decide for sure.

Thanks again everyone.

Bill