18650 leap...?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm about to make the leap into using Lithium Ion 18650 cells, is there anything I should be aware of first? One thing I've noticed is that there isn't a lot of charging hardware and few places to shop.

chiphead

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well chiphead, unless you're already familiar with Li-Ion's in general, and just new to 18650's, for starters, you might try,

here,

here,

here,

here,

here,

and here.

These are all located in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Dave

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing is that they aren't readily compatible with most surefires or surefire clones. Those tend to be size compatible with 17670s, and some of the e-series won't even take those without a bit of boring. I'd like to standardize on the 18650 myself, wish surefire would have left a tad more meat on the C2 :sigh:

jerry i h

Enlightened
Humbly suggest you studiously ignore ALL Li-ions, until you HAVE to get one.
Truth or Dare: I have dozens of great torches, and not a single Li-Ion torch among them, because I feel that the $$$ and danger and unreliability are not worth the gain. I just got EL's EDC-P7, and had to get a 18650 (I got AW's), and charger (DSD). The combo gets my hearty :thumbsup:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Sheesh, guys, go easy. I bet if you count up the mishaps you'll find CR123's (NON rechargeable) have more reported "incidents."

Yes, li-ons in general can be a steep learning curve but they're well worth it. The protected ones are virtually idiot proof too.

If you want to fear li-ons then you had better stay away from cell phones, laptops and in the not to distant future, hybrid cars too.

EVERYTHING is dangerous if misused. Even your couch!

I say read all of those links in post 2, add a pound of road salt to the two above me, and jump on in. The lithium is fine!!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Current 18650 are rated at 2200 mAh, as in from AW.

I think we are supposed to see 2500 mAh cells soon. No sense to invest in lower capacity cells.

zx7dave

Enlightened
One thing is that they aren't readily compatible with most surefires or surefire clones. Those tend to be size compatible with 17670s, and some of the e-series won't even take those without a bit of boring. I'd like to standardize on the 18650 myself, wish surefire would have left a tad more meat on the C2 :sigh:

I've got 2 M2's and a C2 bored to 18650 with no issues...

zx7dave

Enlightened
Truth or Dare: I have dozens of great torches, and not a single Li-Ion torch among them, because I feel that the $$$ and danger and unreliability are not worth the gain. I just got EL's EDC-P7, and had to get a 18650 (I got AW's), and charger (DSD). The combo gets my hearty :thumbsup:

I have over 35 lights running AW RCR123's, 17670's, and 18650's. no issues and they are free after initial purchase...guilt free lumens...

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 2 M2's and a C2 bored to 18650 with no issues...

Yeah, I know it's doable and I'm gonna do it with mine, but they don't leave much room for error. Just out of curiosity how did you bore it out? I was planning on doing it myself with a self-made cylinder hone, but I'm considering sending it out to someone better equipped.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well chiphead, unless you're already familiar with Li-Ion's in general, and just new to 18650's, for starters, you might try,

here,

here,

here,

here,

here,

and here.

These are all located in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Dave

I'm building a new unit based on a body that can handle X123 or 18650 cells. But the 18650 cells seem more grenade than battery! But with the economy like it is rechargeable could save me some bucks.

chiphead (18650 newby)

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sheesh, guys, go easy. I bet if you count up the mishaps you'll find CR123's (NON rechargeable) have more reported "incidents."

Yes, li-ons in general can be a steep learning curve but they're well worth it. The protected ones are virtually idiot proof too.

If you want to fear li-ons then you had better stay away from cell phones, laptops and in the not to distant future, hybrid cars too.

EVERYTHING is dangerous if misused. Even your couch!

I say read all of those links in post 2, add a pound of road salt to the two above me, and jump on in. The lithium is fine!!

Wattnot

You make a good point, right now I'm shopping Battery Junction.com for a three cells and a matching charger. It seem that I've got to match the charger with the battery or I'm going to end up with a grenade. Is this indeed the case? This is going into a X123/18650 body.

chiphead

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick to quality cells and charger and you will be fine. I have a Pila IBC charger and AW 17670.and rcr123 cells. Never had a problem yet. I also use a multimeter to check voltage before and after charge.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Humbly suggest you do exactly the opposite.

because I feel that the $$$ and danger and unreliability are not worth the gain
The danger is overrated unless you really don't know what you're doing (and the fact that he's posting here means he wants to get it right), the $$$ isn't really much, and as for reliability I find LiIons a lot more reliable than other technologies. Today's LiIon cells no longer die in a year or two as they used to in the bad old times of a few years ago...
Besides, 18650s can't be beat for performance in a small package. If you want high power you're talking either huge C- or D-powered lights, or much smaller ones powered by 18650s.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Humbly suggest you do exactly the opposite.

The danger is overrated unless you really don't know what you're doing (and the fact that he's posting here means he wants to get it right), the $$$ isn't really much, and as for reliability I find LiIons a lot more reliable than other technologies. Today's LiIon cells no longer die in a year or two as they used to in the bad old times of a few years ago...
Besides, 18650s can't be beat for performance in a small package. If you want high power you're talking either huge C- or D-powered lights, or much smaller ones powered by 18650s.
You've got a point there Fallingwater! A lot of "green R&D" companies are pouring money into improving Lithium Ion technology. No doubt that they've gotten much better in a few short years! On more question to all, protected or unprotected?

chiphead

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light you're planning to use them in has built-in protection (i.e. L-Mini) then you don't need redundant protection on the cells; otherwise, you do.
If you're not sure, go for protected ones - more protection can't hurt. Just make sure protected cells fit your light - they are slightly wider and longer than unprotected ones.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light you're planning to use them in has built-in protection (i.e. L-Mini) then you don't need redundant protection on the cells; otherwise, you do.
If you're not sure, go for protected ones - more protection can't hurt. Just make sure protected cells fit your light - they are slightly wider and longer than unprotected ones.
I just measured 18.4mm, I think I'll give these things a shot. I might save a few bucks are x123 cells for a while. Thanks to all for the education!

chiphead