Can/should you store batteries backwards**MOVED**

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Have a couple of lights in my car and RV that are always turning themselves on ... with the end result that the batteries are dead when I go to use them.

I've taken to storing the batteries in the various lights backwards ... reverse of the way they should be inserted.

Question is ... is this a good thing or a bad thing?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm far from an expert but I think I read somewhere that it is best to reverse just one of the batteries.

This may be some sort of safety measure to avoid frying a LED with reverse polarity for instance.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best is just to insert an insulator somewhere in string of cells. If number is even, you can reverse half of them. Any arrangement in which some number of cells other than half are reversed can risk cell damage and even explosion.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have a blinky LED thing and when I am not using it instead of taking the batts out (cause I am too lazy) I just put in my own little "pull" tab made of a piece of scotch tape folded over itself.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure it's actually DANGEROUS to store cells in +ve to +ve.

Doug S,
isn't it possible to cause damage although the cells are even in number.
I seem to recall that if 2 cells were left in circuit and in reverse polarity that it could damage them, or cause fire/explosion ?

Jahn

Status
Not open for further replies.