Computer Light

Bectel

Newly Enlightened
I spend alot of time sitting infront of a computer especially later at night while only using the screen for light. I find most of the time I can't see the keyboard well though and strain to see it. I was wondering if anyone else has found a small led light that would illuminate the keyboard well while not putting alot of glare of the screen. Or if there was something that could attach to the bottom of the screen to light up only the keyboard.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Razer actually makes a "BattleLight", which is basically a keyboard light that sits in front of your keyboard and provides blue downlighting, but it's poorly rated. If you don't want to pay for a self-illumiated keyboard, I'd go with the cheaper, simpler solution of just using a good booklight - clamp it onto the side/corner and have it illumiate across the keys. The top-rated model is the AAA-powered (can use rechargeables) LED XtraFlex2: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TXZIDM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

manoloco

Enlightened
Look for self illuminated keyboard, the ones that have the characters lit up by a led underneath the hey, theres a company that makes them out of the great Cherry MX switches, but dont remember the name, or if cheaper, you can try Saitek illuminated keyboards.

BUT my true advice: learn real typing, no keboard looking, and use your 10 fingers in an efficient way, thats why the F key and the J key have dots, or lines, or texture or a depression, those are the keys that indicate the index finger position for their respective hands in the home row, you NEVER need to look at the keboard.

if you are just starting, this is a good time to try a DVORAK type keyboard instead of the usual QWERTY positioning of keys.

Proper typing saves you a lot of time, eyestrain, headaches and makes using the computer a lot more enjoyable than it already is.

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
I spend alot of time sitting infront of a computer especially later at night while only using the screen for light. I find most of the time I can't see the keyboard well though and strain to see it. I was wondering if anyone else has found a small led light that would illuminate the keyboard well while not putting alot of glare of the screen. Or if there was something that could attach to the bottom of the screen to light up only the keyboard.

If you visit ebay and search for "usb light" you'll find a ton of flexible-neck LEDs that plug into the laptop USB port. I have no specific recommendations but a couple of folks at work bought them to use on the train, or on planes at night with lights down and were happy with them.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
If it doesn't sell out, this is a great deal.
Saitek Eclipse 104 Key USB Keyboard - Black w/ Red LED Lights - PZ30AUR Currently $19.99 with free shipping. BUY.COM item number 202699373
I have one, it's great.

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened
i feel i should point out that once you learn to type, you dont look at the keyboard anymore. hell, right now im leaning back and couldnt see it if i tried.