any honda s2000 owners?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Currently, I'm about a day away from buying an s2000.

I am looking really hard at an 06 model, with 13k miles. It was originally sold in 07, so I have a LOT of warranty left.

Complaints? Praises?

Do they really burn oil when run in vtec rpm a lot?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
S2k.jpg

rear34.jpg

(Ignore the specs, I added them when I sold the car)

I had an 02 model, a lot of fun to drive and thats about all its good for and thats all I wanted it for. I can have the worst day, taking it for a spin always puts a grin on my face. My gf hated it because it was loud :) (not the exhaust, the wind noise) At 6' I fit very snug in there, but I liked it like that. It felt like I was in a cockpit more than a driver seat. Awesome gearbox just begs to be shifted quickly. And you'll be shifting often since its gearing is very close ratio.

Mine burned about half a quart every 1500 miles. But the newer ones don't burn as much as the older AP1s, or if any at all.

Living in sunny southern California, blasting through all the canyon roads, up Pacific Coast Highway was awesome. My tip to you when the tires wear out, and they will wear out fast 10-15k in the rear don't go cheap on tires. If you decide its your summer only vehicle and you won't be driving in the rain, add a cold air intake for loudest/funnest vtec switchover sound. It really lets people know you hit vtec :) All mods other than regearing (you'll be shifting a lot more) and supercharger will give you very minimal gains. Honda squeezed every hp out of that motor.

Some people recommend switching to GM Syncromesh for the gearbox, I did and it was super buttery smooth. With Honda MTF its a bit notchy when cold, but smooth when it warms up. GM Syncromesh give you that buttery smooth gearbox when cold.

You will definitely want wide angle side mirrors like mine, it pretty much eliminates every blindspot when the top is up. The blue tint helps with the glare from other cars too since you're sitting so close to the ground.

Im sure you've checked out s2ki.com already, theres tons of good information although now that the earlier models of the s2k are cheap enough for teenagers to drive, don't expect a CPF like atmosphere!

Take it to an empty parking lot and test the handling before you hit up some canyon runs, while it is nimble and rides on rails you want to get a feel for when the rear end lets go, and it is quite sudden :)

Another benefit is it has one of the best HID projectors I've seen :)

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm looking at an 06 like I said. It's got the new engine and a different weight ratio/suspension setup. Supposedly they tend to push rather than spin out.

I'm actually looking for a daily driver for myself. Seems comfortable enough in test drives.

I'm going to have to drive from Mississippi to Illinois to get one. :( Dealers around here want about 4k more than IL does.

Did you run synthetic oil in the engine? What about oil change mileage?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I understand you are looking for a 2006 model, but the difference between the two is very minimal. They made it more civilzed as the years went by, but from 2.0 to 2.2L you get a little more low end tq a little sooner. As far as suspension I couldn't tell you, I lowered mine a tad with Tein springs.

As for having it as a daily driver, I personally wouldn't do it. Its just too purpose built of a vehicle to do anything else. I have five friends that have had or do still own S2000s and they all have other cars. Its more of a weekend toy.

I did run Mobil1 then Mobil blend, but I read the F20C burns less oil on regular dino oil. Also I figured if you're going to be burning oil, I might as well burn the cheaper stuff. I did 4-5k intervals. MTF every 15k.

If you don't mind replacing tires often, stiff suspension on firm seats, blind spots with the top up, and people confusing your car for a Miata then it could work as a daily driver. Now is a good time to buy though, the prices go up in the summer.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Closest I ever came to owning one, was buying a block/pistons/rods/crank/timing chain/cover/oil pan....basically an entire lower end for $20.00 delivered, and then turned around and sold it for $365.00...:twothumbs...and the buyer was happy to pay it!:thumbsup:

Cool car, but I can't afford one.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us know what you decide. I've often considered replacing my '90 Miata with an S2000, I've driven an AP2 for a couple laps around an autocross course, and have a few friends that own them. I'll probably end up with the 3rd gen Miata as my next convertible though, instead of an S2000. Not quite as hard-edged, and if I want to go fast I can take out one of my V8 Mustangs.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Wife and I will decide tonight. I've been price/color/year model/etc comparing for about 2 weeks now.

Local dealers can't hold a candle to Atlanta, Ga and Dallas, TX market. I can save about 4k by driving ~500 miles.

Got me a good price on an 06, white, 35k miles, honda certified (warranty to 100k) of 19,500 out the door. Kbb is about 24 for this car.

Business is a little slow right now though... may have to wait till tax season is over.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't let others discourage you about using the S2000 as a daily driver. Personal comfort is a completely subjective thing; I'd be more than willing to "sacrifice" a cushy seat and a slushbox tranny for all that grin factor. I drove a Mk1 Mr2 for years as a daily driver with no problems at all.

:buddies:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
2002 owner here, since April 2002 :grin2:

Oil use: Yes.

Problems: Zero.

Praises: Smiles Per Gallon.

Complaints: Winter.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
:rock:
'04 owner here, hence f22 as in f22c1(2.2L)

i think the '06 models have the traction ctrl so that's a plus.

if this is your first rwd car, definitely test the limits at a safe place rather than finding on the road.

the car is a ton of fun and i drive it year round. i never took it back to the dealer since i bought it. i do my own maintenance and it's been trouble free from the start.

there is some extra maintenance compared to a normal car. like chaning the tranny oil and diff oil which can be somewhat pricy if you let the dealer do it. i do it annually myself. i use mobil1 syn and never burn enough oil to where i have to fill it between oil changes.
yeah the tires can wear fast if you drive hard since they are summer ones with a low wear rating. i think i squeezed 20k out of my first set though with mostly highway miles.

it's fuel efficient too which i like. i mean it can be..:devil:

the insurance is expensive which is my only complaint.(metro area)

the boxster s is another great car. the only thing i would replace my s with.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently, I'm about a day away from buying an s2000.

I am looking really hard at an 06 model, with 13k miles. It was originally sold in 07, so I have a LOT of warranty left.

Complaints? Praises?

Do they really burn oil when run in vtec rpm a lot?

When the valve guides wear out. Because of the rocker arms the Vtec valve guides wear out more quickly than they would in a standard DOHC head.:shrug:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Unexpected development...

Wife needs some 'emergency' surgery within the next week or so. As such... no car for a while.

She's in for an MRI in a day or so to determine how big the growth/cyst/etc is and how difficult it will be to remove it. :( yikes.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope all goes well, or at least as good as it can. That's a scary situation.:sigh:
Best of luck.

turbodog

Flashaholic
They found a 9x4 cm 'growth' in the pelvic area. Likely fatty tissue, but won't know till it's taken out, which will likely be in about 2 weeks.

Jesseri

Newly Enlightened
I don't own S2000 but i have -99 Accord TypeR. I was buying a S2000 but then decided to buy a bigger and cheaper car. Here in Finland car tax is ridiculous. A new S2000 would have cost ~80000 euros. One known weak spot of S2000 is differential.

I would never use non-synthetic oil on Honda engines. Specially H22A engines are known to wear cams and rocker arms when using low grade oils. There's also big difference in oil usage with different oils.. My car burns 0,5l Mobil 1 Rally formula (0W-40) in 10000km and i don't baby my car at all. I'm quite sure it uses more high cams than low cams ;). VTEC YOOO! :D. Once I tried ester based motor oil and no more measureable amount of oil was burned (Motul 300V) but oil itself was too expensive for regular use (7500km/oil change).

EDIT: I hope your wife is ok.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch, hope your wife is okay!

I've found that synthetic oil helps all OHC engines, especially higher-revving ones. Gets to the top end sooner, the clatter after startup ends sooner vs. dino. My current Mk1 Mr2 has 179k miles on it and will burn 1/2 quart every 8k miles if I use dino oil. I switched to Mobil Delvac 1(What I use in all my four stroke engines.) synthetic and all oil use went away. Good stuff.

:buddies: