HELP - P60 led drop in

harryballs

Newly Enlightened
I recently swapped a P60 Led drop-in (Surefire) into a P101 and it did not work. The P60 that was in the P101 worked, but i wanted a brighter light. The P60 led drop-in worked in the G2 so I know the led is not faulty. So I am thinking the P101 is not compatible with a P60 led drop-in, but on the box of the Surefire led drop-in it is compatible for all flashlights with a P60 lamp.

Next, I used a P60 from a G2 and installed it in the P101, it should work. The P101 comes with a P60, right? Well, it did not work :banghead:

Now I compare the P60 from the P101 and the P60 from the G2. The only difference is the P60 from the P101 appears to have a shorter spring height.

The P60 lamp from the P101 works in the in the G2. So I suspect it is the P101 that is picky as to what P60 will fit.

I spoke with Surefire's customer service and the repsonse was their P60 led drop-in will not work in the P101. When I mentioned that the P60 from the G2 did not work in the P101 as well they did not know why and could not give me an answer.

Please, if anyone can shed some light on this and enlighten me.

Thanks.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring out the dremel and grind away to make room. I have a similar issue with the LU60 adaptor. It won't fit the Malkoff models, but it fits the P60 perfectly. I am planning on grinding little by little with a dremmel untill it goes in.:twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC some of the weaponlights have the positive and negative reversed. For incans, this doesn't mattery, but for LEDs, it will not work if the poles are reversed and this can also burn out the driver and potentially kill the LED(depending on how high the voltage is).

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Bring out the dremel and grind away to make room. "SNIP" I am planning on grinding little by little with a dremmel untill it goes in.
It worked perfectly for me! Just hold it in a damp towel and give it hell! :thumbsup: A Malkoff is gotta be the best thing you could put in there.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
It worked perfectly for me! Just hold it in a damp towel and give it hell! :thumbsup: A Malkoff is gotta be the best thing you could put in there.

I tried stuffing the M30 and the Q5 from DX, but they only go about half way in, when they get stuck by the circumference not the depth. The P60 xenon fits all the way in nice and flush, I was ready to dremel it in.
Do you have pictures?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Size 15 will confirm this no doubt, but the P series weapon lights are reverse polarity. LED modules wont work.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Bring out the dremel and grind away to make room. I have a similar issue with the LU60 adaptor. It won't fit the Malkoff models, but it fits the P60 perfectly. I am planning on grinding little by little with a dremmel untill it goes in.:twothumbs

But the LU60 doesn't have the polarity different! I think you will find it is not a fit issue with the P series lights, but rather that Ernie Electron is going the other way.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I tried stuffing the M30 and the Q5 from DX, but they only go about half way in, when they get stuck by the circumference not the depth. The P60 xenon fits all the way in nice and flush, I was ready to dremel it in.
Do you have pictures?

I don't have pics, sorry. Just use the heavy grit sanding drum on the walls and check the fit every little bit. It took about 15 minutes give or take and wasn't very difficult. The wet towel was steaming though! I reccomend taking the O-ring off first.